1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Used: EM5 vs EM10

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Jerp31, Mar 22, 2015.

1. Jerp31

Jerp31 Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 15, 2015
    Louisville
    JP
    Hey all! So I recently joined the forums here and I'm looking to get into photography. I've shot and edited on my iPhone for a while and made the decision that I want to get into m43.

After lots of research I've decided to either look for a used EM5 or used EM10 because of their size, look and EVF. I wanted to see if there were any opinions out there which you all prefer and why. It may help me decide, but then again, it may all come down to finding one at the right price!

So, anyone with hands on experience of both?

-JP

2. physicsdude

physicsdude Mu-43 Regular

Feb 11, 2014
    KS
    Jan
    Do you want/need waterproof? Then go for the EM5.
    Besides that, it has better in body image stabilization, but my EM10 is doing not bad either.
    But then everything else.. the EM10 is more loaded with gimmicks like WiFi, time lapse, focus peaking..
    The only other thing I can think of.. buttons have a better feel on the EM10, but EM5 can be found for 100$ less. Well :)

3. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I went down that exact road looking at those two and ended up with a GX7!

4. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    I would pick EM10 over EM5 just for zero anti-shock feature.

5. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I wouldn't call the newer features in the EM10 gimmicks. You will either want them or not, but if you do, they're great to have. I would only recommend the EM5 if you can get it significantly cheaper. Not sure how important the 0-sec anti shock is since I haven't shot on an EM5, but files from the EM10 sure look sharp with it enabled all of the time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. charcoalblack

charcoalblack Mu-43 Regular

Dec 26, 2012
    I love my old E-M5 but if I had to make a choice between these 2, I would go with the E-M10. Slightly better processor, plus do not underestimate wifi.

7. Jerp31

Jerp31 Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 15, 2015
    Louisville
    JP
    Thanks for all the replies! Since this is my first camera I've decided money will probably be the deciding factor since they are so similar (I know, I know, yet so different!)

With that said I think I'm going to try to find an EM-5 since it will probably be cheaper. I set up a post in the Buy/Sell forum and we will see what happens. But I will also keep an eye out for a right priced EM10 too

Again thanks for everyone's points, much appreciated

-JP

8. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Well I'd use the 25% "SPRING" code on Olympus refurbished site (through the 27th) and get the E-M10 for about $420.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. justdirtyfun

justdirtyfun Mu-43 Rookie

May 3, 2013
    Alton,IL
    Paul M.
    I was in this same boat and have an em-10 from outlet coming. Nice price and can't wait.