Used Em10 or new Gx7 as a second camera to my EP5.

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by D7k1, Apr 24, 2015.

1. Used Em10

6 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. New Gx7

8 vote(s)
    57.1%
  1. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    I want an inexpensive body as a second body. I've narrowed it down to these two choices.
    video is a consideration in my choice. the 75-300II lives on my EP5 and I would use mainly a Sigma 30, pany 14, or Oly 14-42 kit zoom on the second body.

Looking to keep my kit small for hiking/travel. Your choice and why?

Thanks.

2. Levster

Levster Mu-43 Top Veteran

I'd pick the EM-10, switching between the different menu systems would get very annoying. The video on the EM-10 is a higher quality compared to the EP5, and I'm reasonably happy with the output from mine. It's not as good as the GX7, but stabilisation makes a big difference.

• Like Like x 1
  3. PeeBee

PeeBee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 17, 2012
    UK
    I've considered both these bodies recently as a replacement for my E-PM1. In the UK they seem to be equally priced so I didn't have to factor in price differences or new vs used. For my needs, I was swaying towards the EM10, because it would be used mainly for stills and with non stabilised lenses (Oly 14-42, Oly 40-150 and Sigma 30mm). I haven't looked into the video capabilities of the EM10, but I'm sure it would be good enough for my needs.

I'm just not sure I'll go ahead with this right now. As much as I'd like to replace the E-PM1, I find the calling for both longer and wider lenses somewhat stronger.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    How about a 2nd E-P5? Shared batteries, interface and you can swap the EVF between the two.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    The E-M10 (+ Grip) will handle better with the 70-300, the GX7 will shoot better video (probably, not a video guy so I have not really compared them).

I've owned bot the E-P5 and E-M1 before getting the E-M10. I like the E-M10 better than either of the others for the way I use it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    But this is also a valid option. Personally it would come down to video versus Olympus interface. I prefer the Olympus interface over Panasonic and don't shoot much in the way of video. So between your two options the choice would be easy for me.

But if you want cheap and small, well the E-PL6 with kit lens is only $299.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Wait for the Memorial Day sale. Something good is bound to show up in the Olympus Outlet, plus 20%!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I'd call an EP5 a "second body" to an EM10, not the other way around :p

• Like Like x 1
  9. ManofKent

ManofKent Hopefully still learning

Dec 26, 2014
    Faversham, Kent, UK
    Richard
    I'm happy with my GX7 and the stabilization isn't bad - I'm sure the EM10's is better but the GX7 gives a couple of stops generally.

I'd handle both in a shop if you get the chance. I don't think any of the recent m4/3 cameras could be described as a bad choice. If you're looking for small and think you'll mainly use the 30 or 14-42 it might even be worth adding the GM1 to your options.

• Like Like x 1
  10. shermanshen

shermanshen Mu-43 Regular

Jul 28, 2014
    2nd to handling in the shop. The off center viewfinder will either be a great or terrible thing to use depending on which eye you use to shoot with. If you're a right eye shooter like me, the GX7 is excellent shooting through the evf because using the touchscreen to adjust the focus point is a killer feature. If you're a left eye shooter, your face may get in the way of that functionality.

I recently bought an em5ii and I enjoy using that viewfinder much more as it is superior in every way. That being said, changing my focus point is much slower on the em5ii due to having to use the direction pad instead of the touch screen.

• Like Like x 1
  11. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    I would look at EPL6 and the P14 or P20, because you want small for hiking and the EPL6 is $299 minus whatever you sell the kit zoom for. It might use the same batteries and EVF too. My GX1 with the 14 or 20 fits in a small Lowe Dashpoint 20 case on my belt. It makes a great hiking kit, and the EPL6 is even smaller. Also, I love my GX7, so if you go that route you'll be getting a great camera. The P20 is my most used m43 lens. Its a small pancake that is fantastic optically, fast enough for low light, and has good sharpness edge to edge.

Edit: I just saw that video was a factor. Unless you're a "its good enough" guy when it comes to video, go Panasonic. The Panasonic video is significantly better.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  12. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    The E-P5 & E-PL6 do not use the same battery. The E-M10 & E-PL6 do.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  13. free2fish

free2fish Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2014
    I have a GX7 as a backup to my EM1. Great combo. I will never sell my beloved GX7!

• Like Like x 1
  14. scott2hot

scott2hot Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2012
    west yorkshire
    scott
    I too owned ep5...em10...but as a second body go for GX7 for what it offers...feels nicer and like the EP5..looks nicer than the Em10...not sure batteries are the same between ep5 and em10...as for UI we all play with our gear ...so learning curve not that difficult.

15. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    Want to thank all who responded. Greatly appreciated. I am now leaning for the Gx7 and will wait and see if the price drops when the Gx8 is announced or just get one at the end of May. All the cameras are so good now that each purchase decision is a hard one.

16. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    The GX7 is probably my favourite camera I've ever handled from an ergonomics point of view once I added a thumb grip. Very nice weight, size, and controls.

I think it might be difficult to guarantee that prices will drop much from where they are now. I ended up getting mine for $399 USD new from Robert's Camera when they had their blow-out sale (even though that worked out to $600 CDN at the end of the day, it was still $300 cheaper than the local selling price!) and I can't imagine them selling new for less than that...probably ever.

17. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    That why I am buying either in May or June. It's really going to be my m43 video rig and still backup. I think it with my EP5 will give me a great m43 kit.

18. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    This type of question has been discussed many times here. I think the consensus usually comes to this:
    • If you want two bodies for serious or money shooting situations where they would be used simultaneously with two different lenses, then the two bodies should be identical. Examples: weddings, African wildlife safaris
    • If you just want something new to play around with, then buy whatever tickles your fancy.
    Personally, I shoot a pair of GX7s. I'm hoping to switch to GX8s if they come out with a fully articulated LCD. Otherwise the EM5 Mk II is a possible choice.