1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Used E-M5 or new E-m10?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by tkbslc, Feb 7, 2015.

1. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I was all ready to hit buy on an E-M10, and now I'm finding loads of used e-m5 in great shape for well under $400. Some as low as $300. I think people are dumping them in preparation for the E-m5 II. I'm not finding used e-M10's for much less than new prices (unless I order from Hong Kong, and I'm not really up for that risk)

When they were the same price, I decided on the e-m10 easily. But $200 difference buys me a used 45mm. Of course that also means no warranty, too. Seems like the only real difference is zero-shock and wi-fi, right?

Thanks for your opinion.

2. KBeezie

KBeezie Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    Zero Shock and Wifi? I know the E-M5 has the 5-axis image stabilizer, but the E-M10 has a 3-axis.

So you get better IS with the E-M5, but don't get the Wifi on the E-M5. So curious what you meant by Zero Shock.

Also the E-M10 doesn't have the weather sealing.I feel like the E-M10 is more consumer oriented of the three tiers.

3. tkbslc

Maybe I'm using the wrong terms for it, but the shutter shock protection feature. Zero second maybe? I honestly barely know what shutter shock is, just remember someone mentioning that feature.

I don't plan to use weather sealed lenses, so not sure that's an important feature.

I know the E-M10 is supposed to be the entry model, but it has some more modern features so it's making me indecisive.

4. tkbslc

5. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I've owned a few E-M5s over the years, never an 10 though. But I think it is fair to say that the E-M10 offers more, unless weather sealing or 5-axis IBIS is critical for you. Otherwise you can determine the value of those differences and determine which camera makes more sense. It sure seems like the E-M10 owners here are happy with their cameras. I don't recall hearing many folks dumping their 10s to move to a 5.

6. KBeezie

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    The anti-shock is a 'delay' shortly after pressing the shutter button that you can set in the menu and then set it on the shooting mode, which shows a diamond symbol next the shooting mode. It's mostly useful in situations such as on a tripod where the vibration of the shutter may adversely effect the image such as doing extreme macro work, long exposures, or astrophotography. So if you set it to 1 second, it pops open the shutter when pressed, then waits 1 second before it records the image, the idea being that all vibration has halted by that point and that the shot should be steady as possible. If I'm doing long exposure and such, I tend to set it for 1/4th second or so. It was rather important when using an SLR or DSLR since they not only had shutter vibration but also the vibration from the mirror slapping upward (so in like astrophotography, the mirror lockup option was often used, or if special lens needed to extend back into the body).

I'm assuming the 'zero shock' means that it's capable of eliminating vibration without adding a delay to shutter release.

It's not quite useful for everyday shooting like image stabilization is for handheld shooting.

• Like Like x 1
  7. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Zero shock is using electronic first curtain instead of mechanical for exposures longer than 1/320 s.
    And it is VERY useful today and independent from image stabilization of any sort.
    Details: http://www.dpreview.com/articles/41...e-m1-with-electronic-first-curtain-anti-shock

• Like Like x 1
  8. KBeezie

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    :p So when the E-M5 getting this feature in a firmware update?

Actually that reminds me, didn't some models of the pens have an issue where images were softer at certain shutter speeds (like 1/60 to 1/125) because the shutter vibration was causing the softness despite having IS on?

9. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Exactly that issue and I suspect not only PEN's were prone to it (DPR complained about EP5) - given that EM1 and EM10 got updated.
    It doesn't look like EM5 is getting this feature, though - for whatever reasons.

10. KBeezie

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    Would the E-M5 be physically capable of doing it if they were to add it to the firmware? (seeing as the E-M1 and E-M10 are newer, maybe it's a hardware difference).

11. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    No idea.. could be anything from hardware complications to just political/marketing thing for not to add it to EM5.
    Wonder if Mark II has it - again for whatever the reasons..

12. KBeezie

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    It does, according to their specs page.

13. Levster

Levster Mu-43 Top Veteran

I'd go EM-10. The EM-5 is so old now, and with the EM5 II being announced, I would imagine that the firmware will not be updated. Whereas the EM10 is likely to see some of the new features of the EM5 II fed down - fingers crossed. The EM10 has nicer buttons, better video, "almost" as good stabilisation (I can't tell the difference), a cheaper grip, more compact (I bought the grip for everyday use but by removing the grip I get a pretty dinky camera) and features the same image processor as the EM1. I have had an EM5, EM1 and EM10 and image quality wise there is no discernible difference.

14. SteveNunez

SteveNunez Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    South Florida
    Steve Nunez
  15. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    I've had a E-M5 since they first came out and an E-M10 for several months. The 3 axis IBIS is a more recent design and works as well as the 5 axis of the M5. The button controls of E-M10 have a vastly better tactile feel than the 5. The image processor in the 10 is newer and works better, particularly for removing CA. If you use Panasonic lenses with built in stabilization, it's easy to set the camera to which stabilization to use. (the in-lens is usually better).
    I now only use my 5 as a backup for my 10 and E-M1.

16. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    If the choice is truly used vs. new, I would go for the new body without question in order to get the manufacturer's warranty - let's face it, things do go wrong with these cameras. Based on current pricing, I'm not sure that you're limited to used vs. new at this point, though.

17. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Bottom line - if you can spend a few extra hundred, don't need weather sealing - get the EM-10.

18. tkbslc

Thanks for helping me over-analyze. Ironically, I went with a GX7! :biggrin: