Used E-M10 or E-M10 ii?

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I don't find the Sigma 60mm macro on B&H. But I also don't see the Sigma 19mm (which I have but dislike) there either. Seems like they have discontinued some models.

The Sigma 60 was not a macro lens. It was one of their "Art" lenses and as you speculate, it has been discontinued along with the 30/2.8 Art lens.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Well in the case of this discussion the OP was asking strictly about 4/3rds format and how it related back to his old 135 film days. So 2x. No need to get him all turned around with a bunch of extra steps to get to that same number.

Ya, I don't deal with anything but 4/3rds so life is easy for me. If you deal with a lot of formats, then I can see how this method might work for some. But I have to ask, what is the different between memorizing a crop factor vs. memorizing a "normal" focal length for each system and then doing a bunch of math? But to answer your question, the 1" Nikon is 2.7x, 6x6 is 0.55x, and 4x5 is x0.27 (I would just say "0.3" as close enough). :thumbup:

Yes if you only deal with one format, memorizing the single crop factor is easy.

What I wasn't sure about was that the OP's reference was, since he mentioned both OM1 (35mm film) and T3 (APS-C). So to me, initially it wasn't clear which camera was he talking about using the lenses on.
With the T3, you have to go from APS-C to FF, then FF to m4/3. You need to know two crop factors.​
In hindsight, it would be the OM1, cuz today, the 135 lens has essentially disappeared, so he is unlikely to have a 135 EF lens. Back in the film days, the 135 was a very common lens.

If you have multiple systems/formats, generally you will know what the normal lens is for each system.
OK, if you only shoot zooms, like in m4/3, APS-C and FF, you may not have a normal lens, nor know what it is for your format.
For film you just look at your lens, as you are likely to have a normal lens. In my case, I have the normal lens for all of my film formats.
If you wet print film, you will know what the normal lens is, cuz the standard printing lens for a film format, is generally the same as the normal lens. Even if you only used zooms for 35mm film, you will print with a 50mm lens.

If we say a studio portrait lens for a head and shoulder shot is 2x the normal lens.
Then I can pick any film/sensor format, then easily compute 2x the normal lens, to determine the lens to use.
For m4/3, 25mm x 2x = 50mm. For APS-C, 35mm x 2x = 70mm. For 35mm/FF, 50mm x 2x = 100mm. For 6x6, 80mm x 2x = 160mm. For 4x5, 150mm x 2x = 300mm

The alternative is, you have to know a reference lens. Like, the teacher uses a 70mm on his APS-C camera.
Yes, this is a forced example, as I don't know of a 70mm prime lens.​
Using crop factor conversion: First you have to convert from APS-C to FF (70mm x 1.5 = 105mm), then FF to your target format say m4/3 (105mm / 2 = 53mm) .
You have to know the crop factor for the various formats, to get the FF equivalent lens.​
If you are lucky the teacher will tell you the reference FF lens, eliminating the first difficult calculation.​
BTW, the 105 was a common head and shoulder portrait lens for 35mm film cameras, back in the film days.​

Real example. I saw a neat pic, taken with a 210mm lens on a 4x5 camera. How do I duplicate that shot?
I can see where it was taken from, but what lens to use?
First I would figure out the magnification of the original lens. 210mm / 150mm = 1.4x.
Then figure my target lens. For m4/3, 25mm x 1.4x = 35mm.

KISS. Because of the different formats, for ME, I find it simpler to simply stay within the format and avoid using the crop factor.

Long answer, but in the end, just use whatever is easiest for YOU.

exakta

Mu-43 Top Veteran
what is the equivalent 6x6 lens for my m4/3 45mm lens? I have no idea what the reverse crop factor from FF to 6x6 is.

There is no exact crop factor because 6x6 is a square format. You can't use diagonal FOV as a measure because of the format differences. If you print a 6x6 image to a 2:3 ratio like 24x36mm, then you could discuss FOV comparisons.

Even 24x36mm to m43 can't calculate an exact crop factor because one format is a 2:3 ratio, the other is a 3:4 ratio.

Life is too short to worry about this :dash2:

Armoured

Mu-43 Regular
To jump on this thread and ask a quick question - I have an E-M10 (first gen), and I'm considering upgrading it.

My main issue with this E-M10 is shutter lag (or feel of shutter lag). Some of the other improvements like 5-axis are attractive too, and who would complain about better/more image quality?

But really my question is - do subsequent gens of the E-M10 improve on the shutter lag/feel? I've handled occasionally E-M5 mk II, and it's shutter feel was fine for me - in other words I don't feel the need to jump up to an E-M1 or need super-burst shooting speeds. (In fact I'd rather not gain any significant body size)

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I don't feel that my EM10-mk2 has shutter lag. I use the EM10 along with my EM1, and shutter lag is not an issue for me.
What I HATE for shutter lag are my Canon P&S. ARGH.

Thai-Mike

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Michael
I will get on Monday (fingers crossed) a EM10 ii and the 12-40 2.8m pro lens. I am not sure if the em1 mark 1 is a better choice. I have experience with em 10 ii an d12-40 2.8. Wonderful combo. I wear glasses and no Problem at all. So Monday I hope I am back to m/43

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I will get on Monday (fingers crossed) a EM10 ii and the 12-40 2.8m pro lens. I am not sure if the em1 mark 1 is a better choice. I have experience with em 10 ii an d12-40 2.8. Wonderful combo. I wear glasses and no Problem at all. So Monday I hope I am back to m/43
Hope you get your camera
And then of course welcome back into the fold

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom