Use of the EP5 with or without EVF?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Ricoh, May 15, 2014.

1. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    I have my VF-4 permanently attached to my EP5 as I think that it adds greatly to its usability. In fact I stow the camera with the viewfinder attached, however I'm concerned about the durability of a plastic viewfinder - it doesn't exactly exude 'military' engineering.
    Lots of EP5 users here, what do you 'guys' think?

2. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    I leave my VF2 on. Only take it off when I want to have stealth mode and carry the camera in a pocket.

3. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    I leave mine on all the time unless I need the hotshoe. It definitely is more delicate than a built in view finder so I try to be a little more careful with it. So far so good.

4. arprok13

arprok13 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2014
    Arpan
    I leave it off unless in bright sun. I may be the minority, but it doesn't effect the shots I want

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

5. daum

daum Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    Mine is off 95% of the time. Only put it on when it's way too sunny.

6. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    As you'll see from my current listing in Buy & Sell (shameless plug coming up :smile: - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=321399636743, https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=63921), I've decided that as much as I love the E-P5 build, form factor and ergonomics I can't live without a permanent EVF. I find I want to use the camera at eye level if at all possible, only going to the rear LCD in specific circumstances such as tripod use, low-level shooting etc. Maybe I've been too influenced by the 'stinky nappy/diaper' analogy!

I could leave it on permanently of course, but an E-P5 with an EVF is bigger than the E-M5 or E-M1 and in any case is too big for any of my current bags.

7. arprok13

arprok13 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2014
    Arpan
    It's probably cheaper to get a new bag then ;)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

8. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Cheaper yes - but I can't cope with all the choice and decision-making with bags!!!

9. emmef2

emmef2 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 1, 2012
    Italia
    Since I got the VF-4 I am almost always using it on the E-P5

10. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    The EP5/VF4 combo has certain advantages compared to the 'fixed' EVF camera. For instance the articulating VF-4 enables low level composing by flipping the viewer through 90 degrees, something the fixed EVF camera is not capable of doing - ok it can be done by unfolding the LCD panel, but that's not quite the same.
    It's the longevity thing which concerns me, I mean the VF-4 does appear, and has the feel, to be a fairly flimsy item.

11. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    It depends.. vf is good for sunny days, but flip screen is way better for low ground and super wide angle shots, I also rarely use vf while camera is on tripod.