use a shade on your 20?

RonSmith

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Yes. I have a metal hood from Heavystar that works perfectly and takes the Lumix 52mm cap.

RonSmith

Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jonas B

Absolutely, yes.
Reading the comments here I see I use the exact same hood as Ron. But... seeing the poll result made me surprised. More users not using a hood than user doing so. I wonder what the result would have been in Panasonic had supplied a hood?

/Jonas

HuubL

Mu-43 Rookie
The 20 supposedly doesn't produce flare even when the sun hits the front lens. Although I admit the hood above looks very nice, it degrades the compactness of the combo a bit.

DavidB

Mu-43 Regular
Hoods are not just for stopping the sun shining directly onto the front element. Any bright object (e.g. white clouds) that has a "line of sight" to the front element can reduce the scene contrast. It'd be nice to think that the 20mm/1.7 is completely immune to this, but I find that hard to believe.

Also the hood has obvious physical protection characteristics as well.

It's a shame Panasonic didn't provide an option for a dedicated hood with bayonet mount outside the filter thread. But at least with round hoods like these you can easily rotate the polarising filter the hood's screwed into. :wink: That is, if your hood doesn't vignette the image when on the end of a polariser!

back alley

Mu-43 Regular
i use a 'standard' hood, bought on ebay, from heavystar, the one w/o the cap included. (i never use caps)

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom