Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by dave92029, Jun 16, 2013.

1. dave92029

dave92029 Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2010
    Escondido, CA
    I used my 9-18mm to shoot many of the images at USD (University of San Diego), which look more natural when I use the tools in Lightroom 4 to remove some of the distortion resulting from a Ultra Wide angle lens.

I spent some time today reworking many of the shots from my USD walking tour, and I'm posting three here for your review and comments.

This was an excellent opportunity to develop my post processing skills.

[​IMG]"1024" height="802" alt="Don Shiley Science Center - Revised"></a>[/IMG]

[​IMG]"1024" height="764" alt="Immaculata Church"></a>[/IMG]

[​IMG]"1024" height="773" alt="Enterance to Founder's Chapel"></a>[/IMG]
  2. gnb40

gnb40 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 9, 2011
    Very nice! I love the colors and exposure. Could you post one of the shots before post processing? It would be interesting to se how much distortion you had to remove. I'm torn between the 9-18 and the Panasonic 12-35. I'm leaning toward the 9-18.

Thanks, Gary
  3. dave92029

dave92029 Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2010
    Escondido, CA
    Two of the images are in my original post, see below.
    USD first visit - Micro Four Thirds User Forum

The 12-35mm is a constant f2.8, but I have been very surprised how often I find myself shooting in the 9-12mm range. The ultra wide angle is great for capturing really Big items (buildings) but also allows you to get very close to small things and still keep the entire item in the frame.

Most of the times I don't notice the distortion (landscapes), but USD buildings have lots of arches and columns which make the the distortion much more noticeable.

I love my 9-18mm and use it a lot more than I expected. As you can see it's pretty sharp. The Immaculata church is shot at iso 1600 but the Founder's Chapel (first post) is at iso 3200.
  4. thom@s

thom@s Mu-43 Rookie

May 15, 2013
    Toulouse, France
    Nice shots ! I definitly need to buy a 9-18...