USB port/cable OM-D E-M5

Equifan

Mu-43 Rookie
I've looked but can't seem to find exactly the info I need.

Is the USB port on the E-M5 and E-M5 Mk 2 the same?

Everything I've seen (+/- 5ft) seems a tad too short if I
want to tether.

Where do you pro's go -- Amazon or other.

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Yes, the USB cable has been the same pretty much the same until Olympus switched to using a USB-C with the E-m1 mark II and E-m1x. I believe the E-m10 mark III and E-PL9 both use a micro-USB cable.

I would imagine to tether, just get a USB-A female to USB-A male extension cable.

djtaylor7

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
David
Agreed. The USB cables have been the same for many years. Old ones were grey, newer ones black.
I don't think you can tether (if you mean control the camera and view the screen) on either the E-M5 or E-M5 Mkii through the USB port.
I would use the Wifi and the Ol.Share app on my tablet for this with my Mkii, but if you have an early E-M5 you do not have WiFi.

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Agreed. The USB cables have been the same for many years. Old ones were grey, newer ones black.
I don't think you can tether (if you mean control the camera and view the screen) on either the E-M5 or E-M5 Mkii through the USB port.
I would use the Wifi and the Ol.Share app on my tablet for this with my Mkii, but if you have an early E-M5 you do not have WiFi.
I don't use the Olympus tether software, but I recall that Olympus Capture support was added to the E-m5 mark II. Looking at the firmware releases, it was added in version 2.0 of the firmware in November 2015. The Olympus E-m5 mark I was not upgraded to support Olympus Capture, nor as you mention does it have Wifi support:

djtaylor7

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
David
I don't use the Olympus tether software, but I recall that Olympus Capture support was added to the E-m5 mark II. Looking at the firmware releases, it was added in version 2.0 of the firmware in November 2015. The Olympus E-m5 mark I was not upgraded to support Olympus Capture, nor as you mention does it have Wifi support:
Thanks Michael. Useful to know. May have to have a play with it. Although I have a home built PC so Olympus will not guarantee that it will work (which is very strange IMHO).

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
The CB-USB6 cable for the E-M5 Mk II does not use micro USB. It's a proprietary interface. It looks to be the same one as what I had on my old E-M5 and E-M1.

Equifan

Mu-43 Rookie
Here's what I can verify. This cable from Amazon has the correct "fitting" on the business end. Allows viewing just like any other storage media. So far I haven't been able to achieve a Live View on a laptop (using darktable software) -- have yet to install any Olympus software but reckon I'll have to if I want to update the firmware.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NV9L428/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

IENZA Data Picture Transfer Charger Charging Wire Cord Cable for Olympus

This cable replaces Olympus CB-USB5, CB-USB6 and CB-USB8 camera cables. This is NOT compatible with all Olympus cameras. Please check compatibility list below before buying. Please contact ienza if you have any questions. This cable is also known as: Olympus Stylus Tough Charger. This cable connects your digital camera to USB-ready computer, USB hub or photo printer dock for pictures transferring.

Latest threads

Top Bottom