USB modes

grace2022

New to Mu-43
I'm hoping someone can help me out- I'm a new olympus om-d e-m10 mark iii owner and trying to connect the camera to my macbook via usb. But the only options I have are storage, MTP, and print. I can't seem to figure out why I don't have the option that looks like the PC tethered to a camera. Any guesses? Thanks :)

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Legend
If you just want to transfer photos use Storage by pressing OK. MTP [also normally works]
Then import your normal way.

not sure if you actually want to tether your camera to the PC, as I never use that function in any of my cameras.

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I'm hoping someone can help me out- I'm a new olympus om-d e-m10 mark iii owner and trying to connect the camera to my macbook via usb. But the only options I have are storage, MTP, and print. I can't seem to figure out why I don't have the option that looks like the PC tethered to a camera. Any guesses? Thanks :)
The Olympus E-m10 mark III does not support tethering, so storage, MTP, and print are your only options. Storage is what you want to access the SD card, and also to update firmware. Only the E-m1 mark I/II/III, E-m1x, and E-m5 mark I/II support tethering. Tethering support was removed from the E-m5 mark III.

The E-m1 mark III (and maybe E-m1x) also support an option to power the camera using USB C-PD, and they have an option for that. But none of the other cameras have this option.

The E-m10 mark IV, E-m1 mark III, and E-m5 mark III do support battery charging in the camera. The camera must be off, and the battery is charged when you connect the USB cable.

Last edited:

PakkyT

Mu-43 Legend
not sure if you actually want to tether your camera to the PC, as I never use that function in any of my cameras.
Unless as a new owner he wants to run the updater on it. But ya, other than that, Oly has been terrible about using updated off the shelf technologies and the M10.3 still has a slow USB2 port on it, so for any file transfers either a built in SD card reader on your computer or an external USB3 card reader is the way to go.

grace2022

New to Mu-43
The Olympus E-m10 mark III does not support tethering, so storage, MTP, and print are your only options. Storage is what you want to access the SD card, and also to update firmware. Only the E-m1 mark I/II/III, E-m1x, and E-m5 mark I/II support tethering. Tethering support was removed from the E-m5 mark III.

The E-m1 mark III (and maybe E-m1x) also support an option to power the camera using USB C-PD, and they have an option for that. But none of the other cameras have this option.

The E-m10 mark IV, E-m1 mark III, and E-m5 mark III do support battery charging in the camera. The camera must be off, and the battery is charged when you connect the USB cable.
Thank you! I was also trying to connect it to a gimbal but now I know it doesn't support tethering.

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Thank you! I was also trying to connect it to a gimbal but now I know it doesn't support tethering.
Unfortunately, they also removed the support for the wired shutter release in the E-m10 mark III (wired shutter release just fires the shutter compared to tethering where you have complete control on the PC). Presumably part of the reason is a branding issue where Olympus now seems to feel a wired shutter release is a medium (E-m5) or high (E-m1) level feature, and not a feature for the entry level (E-m10).

Another part of the reason is the E-m10 mark II switched from the proprietary Olympus 12 pin cable that had ports for USB, wired shutter release, and analog video/sound to a standard USB micro-B cable. In order to add a shutter release, they would have to add a separate port on the body for the shutter release (2.5mm audio cable).

All recent Olympus cameras do support the remote phone app OIShare, so you can trigger the shutter with an Android or Apple smartphone.

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Unless as a new owner he wants to run the updater on it. But ya, other than that, Oly has been terrible about using updated off the shelf technologies and the M10.3 still has a slow USB2 port on it, so for any file transfers either a built in SD card reader on your computer or an external USB3 card reader is the way to go.
I actually prefer not removing the SD card from the camera, even if the USB transfer is 'slow' when I've just shot stills. If I've used multiple cards (such as with video), I will use an external card reader. Likewise if the battery is nearly exhausted, and I don't have any spare batteries, I will use the card reader. With today's large cards, I haven't run out of space in some time, so I don't always take my wallet of spare SD cards unless I am going to shoot video (and even then, if I'm shooting 1080p, a 128GB card will hold something like 8 hours worth of video).

There are 2 reasons I do this:
  • In the past, I have gone out of the house forgetting to put the media card back into the camera. This was particularly true for the C-2100UZ that did not have an option for USB transfer.
  • When I used CF cards on my DSLRs, you had to be careful not to bend or break the pins in the CF card reader. If I didn't take the card out of the camera, I didn't have to worry about breaking pins.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Legend
All recent Olympus cameras do support the remote phone app OIShare, so you can trigger the shutter with an Android or Apple smartphone.
I just wish I could have more than one camera registered at a time with the Oly app. Or I cant work out how to do it.
I hate having to setup each camera each time I want to use the app.

bkspero

Mu-43 Rookie
I just wish I could have more than one camera registered at a time with the Oly app. Or I cant work out how to do it.
I hate having to setup each camera each time I want to use the app.
I use OIShare with 2 EM10/II and one EM10/II without having to re-enter the login information with every connection. All I did was tell my phone (Pixel 5) to remember the WiFi network for each camera (this includes the camera network's password). Then the phone will connect to whichever of the 3 camera networks that it sees. If the phone is already connected to another network I may need to select the camera network manually in setup. But once it is selected the login is automatic.

Once the network login is done OIShare can be started and it will find the camera.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Legend
I use OIShare with 2 EM10/II and one EM10/II without having to re-enter the login information with every connection. All I did was tell my phone (Pixel 5) to remember the WiFi network for each camera (this includes the camera network's password). Then the phone will connect to whichever of the 3 camera networks that it sees. If the phone is already connected to another network I may need to select the camera network manually in setup. But once it is selected the login is automatic.

Once the network login is done OIShare can be started and it will find the camera.
Wonder if I can do this with an iPhone ?
All i seem to get is a list of available devices, will have look into this, problem is my menu skills with the phone are worse than with my Oly menu understanding

Latest threads

Top Bottom