USB-C charging on the road

WaltP

Mu-43 All-Pro
Colorado, USA, Terra, Sol, W. Milky Way, 80905
@Harvey Melvin Richards teased me about being the owner of RoadRUNNER Magazine where I get many of my photos published. I'm not, just a longtime contributor.

But maybe you were predicting my future, Harvey, as I'm now editor in chief of On The Level, the official magazine of the BMW Riders Association, one of the largest BMW motorcycle clubs in the United States. Here are some of the photos that I've taken for the magazine. All taken with the Lumix G9 and a variety of lenses.

View attachment 785954
BMW Riders Association "On the Level" Magazine, July-August 2019 by John Flores, on Flickr

View attachment 785955
"Come on In" lede photo by John Flores, on Flickr

View attachment 785956
BMW Riders Association "On the Level" Magazine, Nov-Dec 2019 by John Flores, on Flickr
I am very interested in your strategy of USB-C power for everything. I am converting a mini-van and want to take a similar approach. Any tips or pointers? Which computer? I have lights, USB water pump, USB fire starter.
What have you found most helpful? Not used? And why did you insist on USB-C? Seems harder to find USB-C things than mini-plug USB things.

John M Flores

Super Moderator
I am very interested in your strategy of USB-C power for everything. I am converting a mini-van and want to take a similar approach. Any tips or pointers? Which computer? I have lights, USB water pump, USB fire starter.
What have you found most helpful? Not used? And why did you insist on USB-C? Seems harder to find USB-C things than mini-plug USB things.

I've got a Dell XPS13 laptop with two USB-C ports. I just bought an action camera (Insta360), wireless audio (Rode) and LED lights and they're all USB-C. My phone (Samsung Galaxy S9+) and BT headseat (Soundcore) is USB-C. More and more devices are USB-C these days, and I'm sick of plugging something in wrong lol. But accessories like lights and stuff will likely be the last to switch over.

At home and on the road, I've got Anker charging hubs with 3-4 USB-A ports and 1 USB-C port. My battery packs are mostly USB-A as well, so I'll probably be stuck with them for another couple of years. Hopefully by then I'll be 100% USB-C

CD77

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Chris
I've got a Dell XPS13 laptop with two USB-C ports. I just bought an action camera (Insta360), wireless audio (Rode) and LED lights and they're all USB-C. My phone (Samsung Galaxy S9+) and BT headseat (Soundcore) is USB-C. More and more devices are USB-C these days, and I'm sick of plugging something in wrong lol. But accessories like lights and stuff will likely be the last to switch over.

At home and on the road, I've got Anker charging hubs with 3-4 USB-A ports and 1 USB-C port. My battery packs are mostly USB-A as well, so I'll probably be stuck with them for another couple of years. Hopefully by then I'll be 100% USB-C
Buy a bunch of these and plug them into your hubs... if it is USB-A you can remove them, if it's USB-C then you've got ports available.
1618614699171.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Acessorz-H...locphy=1006585&hvtargid=pla-681030090446&th=1

barry13

Mu-43.com Editor
Real Name
Barry
Hi Chris, those will work fine for 'standard' charge rates, but one of the advantages of USB-C is higher currents and voltages.

My tablet and laptop won't run or charge without a USB-C PD charger providing 9V (tablet) or 20V (laptop).

barry13

Mu-43.com Editor
Real Name
Barry
Hi, I suspect you will find these gadgets to be undersized for actual camping needs... Many such things are more novelties than really usable.
USB-C can now provide enough power to run brighter lights, etc., but most USB gadgets were probably designed for an older USB spec.
Also, you're wasting some power converting from 12V to 5V, and/or frequently recharging a USB power brick.

There are thousands of 12V RV and marine appliances.
You could also look at 12V 'solar' immersion pumps if you don't want a noisy diaphragm RV pump.

Petrochemist

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Mike
Hi Chris, those will work fine for 'standard' charge rates, but one of the advantages of USB-C is higher currents and voltages.

My tablet and laptop won't run or charge without a USB-C PD charger providing 9V (tablet) or 20V (laptop).
I just forked out on yet another USB bullet, because I needed a supply over 2A. there are type A sockets that give more than the standard USB current, but I've not seen any rated over 2.4A - USB C can supply up to 5A, all USB C have to be able to carry 3A to meet the standard.

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Top Veteran
If you look for USB adapters with quick charge ports (specifically QC 3.0), many of them list the non-QC USB ports as delivering 5 volts and 3.0 amps. Note, QC 3.0 tops out at 18 watts (i.e. 3.6 amps at 5 volts), and of course it depends on both the device being connected, the power port, and the wiring in between whether you get the full 18 watts. But going forward, I tend to think USB C-PD is the way to go.

That being said, I just picked up a QC trigger that will give me 9 volts/2 amps or 12 volts/1.5 amps for use with my older USB adapters with QC ports.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom