Usability vs. Image Quality: Panasonic GX7 or Sony A7?

Turbofrog

Mu-43 Legend
I do know this stuff - I am perfectly aware of the M43s strengths and weaknesses.

This particular shot from the E-M5 and 7-14mm is in my Lightroom solely because it illustrated a particular weakness of a rather troublesome lens. It is shot from inside my dining room looking out into the bright Thai sun. I only shot a comparison with the A7r with the 16-35 to see how it handled these difficult conditions..
I didn't mean to get my back up there, just wanted to keep everyone on the same page. Sorry if it came across defensively.

I was going to mention using a Haze 2A UV filter to help with your 7-14 problem, but I notice that you already have some posts on here showing exactly that! Did you find that it caused you some other problems and decided to remove it, or did you just want to show a worst-case scenario with that picture?

robbie36

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
rob collins
I didn't mean to get my back up there, just wanted to keep everyone on the same page. Sorry if it came across defensively.

I was going to mention using a Haze 2A UV filter to help with your 7-14 problem, but I notice that you already have some posts on here showing exactly that! Did you find that it caused you some other problems and decided to remove it, or did you just want to show a worst-case scenario with that picture?

Actually what you see in the pic I posted isnt really the so-called purple flare it is 'purple ca' - there are also signs of green ca too.

The 'purple flare' more normally looks a bit like this....

pf_1_of_2_.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

It is particularly irritating because there is little you can do about it often in post unlike the purple ca that can at least be partially corrected in post (as long as it isnt destroying your edges.) Luckily the haze 2 filter on the back end (or a Panasonic body) gets rid of the purple flare problem although you are still left with other difficulties.

pf_2_of_2_.jpg

broody

Mu-43 Veteran
I can't get over the FF zooms and prime lenses outside a certain range (35-100mm). Packing several of these on an outing is well outside of what I consider 'fun' in any way. As a modern Leica replacement, the A7 is pretty good if you stay with primes within that range. Anything else, might as well deck out with a D750.

M43 is definitely good enough for everything I do with it. The system has astonishing depth and versatility.

MAubrey

Photographer
Real Name
Mike Aubrey
I can't get over the FF zooms and prime lenses outside a certain range (35-100mm). Packing several of these on an outing is well outside of what I consider 'fun' in any way. As a modern Leica replacement, the A7 is pretty good if you stay with primes within that range. Anything else, might as well deck out with a D750.
Well...wider than 35mm is workable:

14350379862_f0fc92c3c0_b.jpg

Moline, IL Public Library by MikeAubrey, on Flickr

13416806455_de08b6f614_b.jpg

Voigtlander 12mm f/5.6 by MikeAubrey, on Flickr

Yes, there are problems with heavy vignetting, but that's fixable, but I'm not getting smearing or color shift in the corners.

On the other end of the spectrum, yes. You're probably right. This is a little out of hand:

15712086371_629aef7a9b_b.jpg

Sirui T-025X 1 by MikeAubrey, on Flickr

Even still though, Going with manual focus is the only way to have a lens like this without dropping $4000-$5000 dollars. And the A7's focusing peaking makes it much more doable than it otherwise would be on a DSLR.

bikerhiker

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
David
A link to the Luminous Landscape website.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/kidding.shtml

Canon G10 vs 39MP Hasselblad/Phase One back printed @13x19 and examined by industry experts with over 200 years experience with no one got more 60% right 50/50 -- that's chance. For years we know medium format and large size sensors are used to make large prints and specialized applications, but what's interesting is that this article was written in 2008. We had since progressed that stage and smaller sensor cameras have improved immensely, whereas bigger sensor cameras have sort of plateaued. Full frame's strength with more megapixels is in the large prints, wide angle applications, low noise and better DR. However, this will continually be challenged by smaller sensors. The money now is with smaller cameras either super compact or in smartphones, so companies will always divert R&D towards the possibility of more sales, so it is not conceivable that we will see a better m/43 camera next year with a better wide angle lens.

mattia

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I rarely print anything significant smaller than 22" in the long side - but the E-M1 files hold up very well to that sort of treatment. The reasons I have the A7r are mostly for the much larger prints and I'm now in love with the 55/1.8

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom