USA GetOlympus Website Closed for 3 Weeks over Christmas Holiday

Real Name
Angus
Deal was announced late September, giving the JIP about three months to make the changeover.

That's when it was announced, not when it was originally planned. Discussions and contracts would've been in place months before that.

Having said that, the managers in charge of engineering departments involved normally find out right at the last minute with unrealistic expectations, however a 3 week outage for such a cutover is pretty uncommon for such an operation. Normally you'd offer engineers extremely attractive overtime rates to get the job done with minimal downtime. However, it all comes down to costs: The cost of paying staff to get it done without any outage vs the amount of lost sales revenue etc.

MacBook

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Elliot
The announcement does not say that the website would be down, it just said they would not be accepting orders for those dates.

However, as may have been mentioned elsewhere, there is an announcement on the Support/Service and Repair pages:
"Due to planned site upgrades, Olympus America's Service and Repair service has been temporarily suspended until further notice. At this time, please refrain from sending any repairs to our repair center. Please check back again in the very near future for new instructions once they become available."

Real Name
Angus
The announcement does not say that the website would be down, it just said they would not be accepting orders for those dates.

However, as may have been mentioned elsewhere, there is an announcement on the Support/Service and Repair pages:
"Due to planned site upgrades, Olympus America's Service and Repair service has been temporarily suspended until further notice. At this time, please refrain from sending any repairs to our repair center. Please check back again in the very near future for new instructions once they become available."

I'd love to know what'd happen if your warranty period lapsed and you needed support during this time.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I'd love to know what'd happen if your warranty period lapsed and you needed support during this time.

You are stuck.

Olympus USA service is down.
https://learnandsupport.getolympus.com/support/e-m1-mark-ii#section-send-for-service

Due to planned site upgrades, Olympus America's Service and Repair service has been temporarily suspended until further notice. At this time, please refrain from sending any repairs to our repair center. Please check back again in the very near future for new instructions once they become available.​
Our Quick Repair Drop-off service is no longer available at this location.​

So, if you have a dead piece of gear, IN or OUT of warranty, you are "out of luck." It is not going to get repaired any time soon.

I was just going to send in my EM1-mk2, which is behaving flaky and locking up, and ran into that.

More than lack of communication, THIS STINKS.

Real Name
Angus
You are stuck.

Olympus USA service is down.
https://learnandsupport.getolympus.com/support/e-m1-mark-ii#section-send-for-service

Due to planned site upgrades, Olympus America's Service and Repair service has been temporarily suspended until further notice. At this time, please refrain from sending any repairs to our repair center. Please check back again in the very near future for new instructions once they become available.​
Our Quick Repair Drop-off service is no longer available at this location.​

So, if you have a dead piece of gear, IN or OUT of warranty, you are "out of luck." It is not going to get repaired any time soon.

I was just going to send in my EM1-mk2, which is behaving flaky and locking up, and ran into that.

More than lack of communication, THIS STINKS.

That sucks but what'd really suck is if your warranty expired during and you couldn't get your camera repaired under warranty as a result of this closure!

PhotoCal

Mu-43 Veteran
Or it could be that Olympus wants to put a deadline ("limited time offer ") to entice more GAS.
More sales, and less pay to workers. A corporate win-win.

John M Flores

Super Moderator
It sounds like come Jan 1, Olympus is not planning on having staff, inventory, or resources to handle any orders or service requests. The transfer of outstanding orders to JIP must have been discussed as part of the negotiations. Plus, we don't know any of the particulars of staffing...

1. Where will the new offices be (near current Olympus offices or in another area of Japan?)
  2. Which Olympus staff are transferring, relocating, retiring, or being replaced as a result of this transfer?
  3. When do the movers come to pick up remaining Olympus stock, service orders?
  4. Do new boxes, user guides, warranty papers need to be printed or can stickers be used?
  5. and so on.

So many moving parts...

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
It sounds like come Jan 1, Olympus is not planning on having staff, inventory, or resources to handle any orders or service requests. The transfer of outstanding orders to JIP must have been discussed as part of the negotiations. Plus, we don't know any of the particulars of staffing...

1. Where will the new offices be (near current Olympus offices or in another area of Japan?)
  2. Which Olympus staff are transferring, relocating, retiring, or being replaced as a result of this transfer?
  3. When do the movers come to pick up remaining Olympus stock, service orders?
  4. Do new boxes, user guides, warranty papers need to be printed or can stickers be used?
  5. and so on.

So many moving parts...

Since they cut off sending in anything, it is not Jan 1, it is NOW.
Well OK, the people there may be simply clearing the backlog.

PhotoCal

Mu-43 Veteran
That sucks but what'd really suck is if your warranty expired during and you couldn't get your camera repaired under warranty as a result of this closure!

I really don't think that would be a problem.
The failure/problem has to occur during the warranty period.
Warrantees that I've seen don't say that you also need to solicit warranty service (make a claim) during the same period.

Now, some warranties say you have a limited time to make a claim after the item fails, so that you can't wait a year. A few weeks shouldn't make a difference, especially when the delay is through no fault of the consumer.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I really don't think that would be a problem.
The failure/problem has to occur during the warranty period.
Warrantees that I've seen don't say that you also need to solicit warranty service (make a claim) during the same period.

Now, some warranties say you have a limited time to make a claim after the item fails, so that you can't wait a year. A few weeks shouldn't make a difference, especially when the delay is through no fault of the consumer.

The devil is in the details / fine print.

But in this case, with the change over from Olympus to JIP, I would think allowances will be made, since it was Olympus who closed the door. So even if you wanted to, you cannot submit a warranty repair.

Danny_SWE

Mu-43 All-Pro
I got an e-mail from Olympus wanting me to confirm that they transfer my details to OMDS.
Problem is, link doesn't work! I come to Oly start page, if I login there nothing happens. But if I go to my local Oly page (swedish), I can login. But nothing can be read there about this? Anyone got this?

1608663566125.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I got an e-mail from Olympus wanting me to confirm that they transfer my details to OMDS.
Problem is, link doesn't work! I come to Oly start page, if I login there nothing happens. But if I go to my local Oly page (swedish), I can login. But nothing can be read there about this? Anyone got this?

Yes. An urgent message arrived this morning for me too. The 'I Agree' link lands on a page on the site down for maintenance. Hardly inspires confidence in the new regime.

Mountain_Man_79

Ah, yes. Comets, the icebergs of the sky.
Real Name
Chris
I too received an email from Olympus. It looked like this-
3C8EF680-5C00-4A15-B13C-37A3DA5C2FB8.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

PhotoCal

Mu-43 Veteran
The devil is in the details / fine print.

But in this case, with the change over from Olympus to JIP, I would think allowances will be made, since it was Olympus who closed the door. So even if you wanted to, you cannot submit a warranty repair.

Right, it's like having a car under warranty but the dealer is closed on weekends. Except in this case, the wait is a little longer.

Fortunately, no one's lives depend on a camera. And if you make a living by photography then you should have a backup.

I understand it's inconvenient.

Real Name
Jeff
Yes. An urgent message arrived this morning for me too. The 'I Agree' link lands on a page on the site down for maintenance. Hardly inspires confidence in the new regime.
To be fair to Olympus, and maybe JIP, their site was like this a lot already in the past/up til now iterations.

Mountain_Man_79

Ah, yes. Comets, the icebergs of the sky.
Real Name
Chris
It’s back up and working, and one can purchase again from the site. A very pleasant surprise personally, my employee login still works (I felt certain JIP would shut that off). However, they’ve modified many of the prices, with less of a steep discount on the majority of the cameras and lenses. A few are still priced as good as they used to be, but most are not. No discounted price yet on the 150-400 is listed (presumably because it’s still in preorder status). Whatever. I’m happy!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom