1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

US Library of Congress Flickr Site - Amazing Images

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Luckypenguin, May 27, 2011.

1. If anyone is interested in looking through an amazing collection of older photographs, the United States Library of Congress has a flickr photostream containing over 13,000 scans of archived images, including some early colour images from the 1930-1940s. Incredible viewing even for non-Americans like myself.

The following is a flickriver link to the different sets they have available, which is probably the best medium to view large numbers of images;

Flickriver: The Library of Congress's photosets

This is a direct link to their photostream;

Flickr: The Library of Congress' Photostream

• Like Like x 5
  2. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I can see it will be a very unproductive day at work today.

btw, any legal-types here who can explain whether I can legally reproduce images that say "no known copyright restrictions"?

3. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    Great link. There is even a photo from Ansel Adam's only social documentary work on the concentration camps setup for US citizens of Japanese descent during World War II. It was also his most controversial work were some accused him of being a traitor for showing the horrible conditions the army had kept these citizens in.

The copyright notice means the work is most likely not in copyright, however, it someone does have the copyright and sues you, the Library of Congress will take no responsibility for it.

4. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    I would check out the Edward S. Curtis photos as well. It is amazing work of a world that does not exist.

5. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    Good idea to remind of this incredible photographic fund;

Look also for the incredible 1909 trichrome colour photos of Sergey Prokudin-Gorsky. In history of photography and of ethnography, it's at least on par with the works of the Albert Kahn Foundation photographers, who worked on Lumière Autochrome plates.

His work was salvaged precisely by the Library of Congress, which has purchased some back in the 1920's, and recently reconstituted the photographs by scanning the triple separation plates.

6. Thanks for sharing some of the gems that you have found. You'd certainly need to devote some time to have a really good look through the photostream.

This one is a favourite of mine so far, which I believe is quite a famous image.

Destitute pea pickers in California. Mother of seven children. Age thirty-two. Nipomo, California (LOC) | Flickr - Photo Sharing!Destitute pea pickers in California. Mother of seven children. Age thirty-two. Nipomo, California (LOC) | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

If you go through the comments there are some links to more images taken as part of the same series.

7. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    That's a great post Nic. I've poking around in there all night..

:2thumbs:

8. BrianK

BrianK Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 20, 2011
    Lansing MI
  9. Yeah, the jazz set is brilliant. I also particularly like the colour images from the 30s and 40s. Some of the shots that show people at work are amazing, including the quality of the images. I wonder how much retouching they required.

And, yes the Union Station shot looks incredible, and more so with a bit of help from modern software

10. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    these really make me feel insignificant. What started out as a joyous romp through some incredible images just makes me feel stupid for even aspiring.....