Urk

Henk van Slooten

Mu-43 Regular
Yesterday morning, November 28, I heard the news that an Urk fishing cutter had disappeared. Later in the morning there was news that a mine sweeper from the navy had found a ship with his sonar at the spot of the last signal, via the Epirp of the fishing cutter.
With that news I thought of a visit to Urk last year. Urk is a former island in the IJsselmeer in the Netherlands. The population lived on fishing on that island. Today, Urk still has a large fishing fleet.
Fishing is not always a risk-free activity and many Urkers have therefore stayed at sea. There is therefore a monument for the drowned Urkers arranged by year. It contains many names that are the same and it is also striking that there are also very young children on it. The monument consists of a statue of an Urk woman standing with her back to the sea and a wall with the names on it.

_HVS2404a2.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

There is a text on the base of the statue. This is:

Here they turned the bow
and by whom were left behind
was waiting for them here

They were prayed for here
but also intense ago
as "tinge" (stuff) was brought

Many stayed in the sea and
they are registered here
and they are thought of.

_HVS2403a2.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

G9 + 12-60mm

I had to think about this yesterday after hearing the news.
My name is there also on the wall, but i'm not from Urk, but from another fishing village on the IJsselmeer.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom