Urgent: one E-M1 for recording movie AND fire a few flashes for still photos

zzffnn

Mu-43 Veteran
I messed up this time. My son's PreK graduation ceremony is tomorrow at 10AM. I only have one E-M1 now and need to record him in video AND fire a few flash for a few still indoor photos. The indoor light without flash is likely not enough for my zoom lenses.

And I just realized that E-M1 cannot record video AND occasionally fire a few flashes for still photos. In movie mode, if shutter is pressed during movie recording, video will be split with a photo (without possibility of firing flash) will be made in between. I found that annoying, though it seems most (?) consumer still cameras work that way.

My solution is to set photo parameters in A aperture mode, then use a fast SD card to record movie. Once a scene is recorded, I will asked my son to pause for a few seconds, stop video recording (and wait for SD card writing to finish), then fire flash for photos. Pretty stressful way to do it. But without 2 cameras and 2 lenses, this may be the only way to record video AND fire a few flashes?

My SD card (Lexar Pro 1000x 150MB/s Class 10) is reasonably fast. I did a test just now and think my intended video recording (0.5-2 minutes) can finish writing to SD almost instantaneously. But still quite inconvenient.

Please kindly advise me.

Edit: I do have an ancient Nikon L820 super zoom that I can use for video (that way I can use E-M1 only for flash photos). Would that be better? L820 has a tiny sensor though and its video may not work well under poor indoor light.

Other than those two, I don't have another camera.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom