1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Urgent: one E-M1 for recording movie AND fire a few flashes for still photos

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by zzffnn, May 14, 2019.

1. zzffnn

zzffnn Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 19, 2017
    Texas
    I messed up this time. My son's PreK graduation ceremony is tomorrow at 10AM. I only have one E-M1 now and need to record him in video AND fire a few flash for a few still indoor photos. The indoor light without flash is likely not enough for my zoom lenses.

And I just realized that E-M1 cannot record video AND occasionally fire a few flashes for still photos. In movie mode, if shutter is pressed during movie recording, video will be split with a photo (without possibility of firing flash) will be made in between. I found that annoying, though it seems most (?) consumer still cameras work that way.

My solution is to set photo parameters in A aperture mode, then use a fast SD card to record movie. Once a scene is recorded, I will asked my son to pause for a few seconds, stop video recording (and wait for SD card writing to finish), then fire flash for photos. Pretty stressful way to do it. But without 2 cameras and 2 lenses, this may be the only way to record video AND fire a few flashes?

My SD card (Lexar Pro 1000x 150MB/s Class 10) is reasonably fast. I did a test just now and think my intended video recording (0.5-2 minutes) can finish writing to SD almost instantaneously. But still quite inconvenient.

Please kindly advise me.

Edit: I do have an ancient Nikon L820 super zoom that I can use for video (that way I can use E-M1 only for flash photos). Would that be better? L820 has a tiny sensor though and its video may not work well under poor indoor light.

Other than those two, I don't have another camera.

2. Michael Meissner

Michael Meissner Mu-43 Veteran

Do you have a friend or neighbor you can borrow a camera from?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.