1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Urgent help on paypal shipment needed

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by WT21, Apr 27, 2013.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Calling all paypal experts! I need some help, as I'm now two days behind shipping out a lens. I've spent yesterday and today wrestling with USPS and PayPal on this shipment.

A FMer bought my Canon 35L. It's boxed and ready, but it's a $950 lens, so I want to ship insured.

Paypal now only does USPS. They no longer let you do UPS. USPS only allows up to $500 insurance.

I read I can add insurance to a USPS label. So, I got a paypal label, and then went down to my post office to add insurance. They said they can only create a brand new label, with a new shipping number. As I understand it, if I ship myself and don't use paypal label creation, I lose my ability to appeal via paypal in case I'm scammed.

So, I can't get insurance without getting a label outside of paypal, and I can't get a label outside of paypal without losing my paypal appeal ability.

Am I missing a hitch here? Any help is GREATLY appreciated, as I really have to ship this out Monday, and apologize to the buyer.

2. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    I'm no expert, but I always ship USPS Priority Mail insured, and I always buy my label online from USPS, then I add the tracking number to the PayPal transaction. (I've never been told my shipments are exempt from seller protection). I used to ship UPS (and enter the tracking number the same way after buying my label directly from UPS), but I haven't done it recently, so I can't tell you if PayPal limits shipping via carriers for which they won't sell shipping labels.

I can't imagine PayPal would exempt shipments from seller protection if you don't buy the label through them ... while limiting your selection of shippers. Doing so would be shooting themselves in the foot. I, for one, sure wouldn't sell/ship an expensive item like that if I couldn't insure it for its full value.

I do know that USPS can't add anything once you've printed your shipping label ... without generating a whole new label (and you having to pay a second time). What a pain. Will PayPal refund your initial label since you can't insure the package for its full value? AFAIC they should. But then, it's PayPal....

So sorry for you and the buyer having to deal with this snafu!

3. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    When you say paypal will only let you ship USPS, you mean that is what they use when you buy the shipping from them, right?

There is no reason, that I know of, you can't just buy shipping directly on UPS.com or FedEx.com outside of the Paypal transaction. I do this all the time with my Paypal (Ebay, mu-43, etc.) transactions.

4. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    You said it so much better than I did! :biggrin:

5. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    This AFAIK is correct, with the proviso that you need to make darned sure you do the following:

1. Ship to the PayPal confirmed address
    2. Insure the package for what it's worth
    3. Ship by some method that will provide delivery confirmation that is easily documentable and can be shown online in case PayPal has to check it later

Do something less than these at your own peril.

6. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    Paypal allows use of "outside" source shipping. You need to add it to the paypal shipment notice/order confirmation and keep your receipt of the shipping label until satisfactory conclusion of the transaction. I'm paranoid, so it never hurts to take a file of the shipping container addressed and ready to go at the Post Office. The only time I had to use ebay/paypal for a proposed chargeback, they backed me up---but only because I had used the seller protection properly.

7. Mr Hahn

Mr Hahn Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 9, 2010
    SLC, Utah
    Nate
    USPS allows you to insure packages up to $5000 in value, not just $500.

The problem is that the paypal website, this is because the paypal print and ship function is limited and won't let you insure for a higher value. Do one of the following:

1) Visit a post office in person to ship this package.
    or
    2) Use the real USPS website directly to setup your shipment.

You can still manually enter the tracking number into paypal after you ship. I've personally shipped and insured a package shipped in a USPS flat rate box for $3000 at the request of a buyer, and a few others for a little over a thousand dollars. However, you must ship to the buyers verified address in the paypal payment you received. If they dispute and you shipped to a different address then you will not have paypal protection.

-Nate

8. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    What Nate said. Ship from the post office. You don't have to create the label through PayPal to have seller protection.

9. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    I usually DON'T ship USPS because I find they lose shipments more often than UPS & FedEx and when they lose them they have limited options for finding them even with the tracking number. Example: if the carrier puts your shipment in someone else's mailbox by mistake and that mailbox owner is out of town on vacation or doesn't bother contacting USPS to report the mistake then you're screwed.

I like UPS & FedEx because they almost never lose things, deliver directly to your residence and they offer detailed online tracking even for UPS Ground; i.e tracking message will say: "will be delivered by end of day on 5/1/13."

10. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I agree with what everybody has said. I ship by going to the post office or the UPS store and then filling in the tracking numbers etc into the paypal and/or ebay{when it's an auction}.