Urgent help needed: best way to fix E-M5 dial? Fell off!

LowriderS10

Monkey with a camera.
Hi all!

I know this has been covered but I'm on vacation and on my phone and in a hurry...what's the best way to fix a rear dial that's fallen off my E-M5?

I'm thinking just super glue back on since it doesn't seem to be a particularly sensitive part.

Thanks in advance.

Ps very disappointed in Olympus: cracked LCD bezel, handful of lost eye cups and now this. I love my camera but these things shouldn't happen to a 14 month old camera in this price range!

Promit

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Promit Roy
Yeah, same. A light dusting of cyanoacrylate (aka super or krazy glue) around the edges does nicely. Don't overdo it.

LowriderS10

Monkey with a camera.
Thanks! The edges? I was going to do the top...didn't know the edges touched. Is that a better surface

Thanks again! Any idea on how long super glue has to sit for before I can use it? And the camera will be fine if I use it without the dial for a day or two, right?

Ricoh

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Steve
If you plan to send it back to Olympus 'as not fit for purpose', hoping for a free repair, I'm sure they'll detect super glue and reject it on the basis of a non authorised repair.

Promit

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Promit Roy
Thanks! The edges? I was going to do the top...didn't know the edges touched. Is that a better surface

Thanks again! Any idea on how long super glue has to sit for before I can use it? And the camera will be fine if I use it without the dial for a day or two, right?
The edge of the top, not around the side. IIRC there's something that seems to line up when putting it back on, though I couldn't figure out what difference it made. I just didn't want to get glue on the exposed metal part. Follow the directions for whatever glue you use in terms of time. I tried weaker glues but they didn't survive use.
If you plan to send it back to Olympus 'as not fit for purpose', hoping for a free repair, I'm sure they'll detect super glue and reject it on the basis of a non authorised repair.
At 14 months he's out of warranty anyway. They won't do anything without a hefty payment. (About $180, if memory serves.)

jjinh

Mu-43 Regular
At 14 months he's out of warranty anyway. They won't do anything without a hefty payment. (About $180, if memory serves.)
Are North American Olympus warranties only 1 year? We get two years in Australia/Ocenia.

LowriderS10

Monkey with a camera.
Thanks for the replies! Ya I was going to stay away from the metal bits and only glue on the three 'spokes' but I'll try the edge like you suggested. :)

I bought my camera in a store in Korea but it may be grey market and I think Korea is only one year anyways. I never had a camera just fall apart due to junk craftsmanship, so I wasn't worried about warranty. But sadly it may have come in handy here. Also 180 is insane for it, especially considering it's a manufacturing defect any decent company should fix for free regardless of the warranty status.

Ricoh

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Steve
Yes indeed. Personally, I would write to Olympus and declare it not fit for purpose. Write, not e-mail or phone.

LowriderS10

Monkey with a camera.
Thanks for the help! I glued the sides like you suggested as I think it's a better way than the top. So far - a week or so and 1000 give or take shots later - it's working well!

Cheers!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom