1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Urgent help needed: best way to fix E-M5 dial? Fell off!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by LowriderS10, Aug 7, 2014.

1. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Hi all!

I know this has been covered but I'm on vacation and on my phone and in a hurry...what's the best way to fix a rear dial that's fallen off my E-M5?

I'm thinking just super glue back on since it doesn't seem to be a particularly sensitive part.

Thanks in advance.

Ps very disappointed in Olympus: cracked LCD bezel, handful of lost eye cups and now this. I love my camera but these things shouldn't happen to a 14 month old camera in this price range!

2. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Yeah, same. A light dusting of cyanoacrylate (aka super or krazy glue) around the edges does nicely. Don't overdo it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Thanks! The edges? I was going to do the top...didn't know the edges touched. Is that a better surface

Thanks again! Any idea on how long super glue has to sit for before I can use it? And the camera will be fine if I use it without the dial for a day or two, right?

4. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    If you plan to send it back to Olympus 'as not fit for purpose', hoping for a free repair, I'm sure they'll detect super glue and reject it on the basis of a non authorised repair.

5. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    The edge of the top, not around the side. IIRC there's something that seems to line up when putting it back on, though I couldn't figure out what difference it made. I just didn't want to get glue on the exposed metal part. Follow the directions for whatever glue you use in terms of time. I tried weaker glues but they didn't survive use.
    At 14 months he's out of warranty anyway. They won't do anything without a hefty payment. (About $180, if memory serves.)

6. jjinh

jjinh Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2014
    Are North American Olympus warranties only 1 year? We get two years in Australia/Ocenia.

7. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Thanks for the replies! Ya I was going to stay away from the metal bits and only glue on the three 'spokes' but I'll try the edge like you suggested. :)

I bought my camera in a store in Korea but it may be grey market and I think Korea is only one year anyways. I never had a camera just fall apart due to junk craftsmanship, so I wasn't worried about warranty. But sadly it may have come in handy here. Also 180 is insane for it, especially considering it's a manufacturing defect any decent company should fix for free regardless of the warranty status.

8. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    Yes indeed. Personally, I would write to Olympus and declare it not fit for purpose. Write, not e-mail or phone.

9. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Yes, 12 month warranty.

10. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Thanks for the help! I glued the sides like you suggested as I think it's a better way than the top. So far - a week or so and 1000 give or take shots later - it's working well!

Cheers!