UPS rant

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by Djarum, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Ok, so it's been all over the internet about the Fedex guy throwing the TV over the fence and it was caught on security camera.

So I have a UPS rant. As of late, orders that I have made from various vendors have just been dropped off without me signing for them, even though these items are specifically signature required by the shipper. Has anyone noticed this? I live in an apartment, and sitting packages outside my door is not a good idea.
  2. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Same has happened to me. In fact a lens was stolen from my front lobby. Many UPS drivers are lazy slackers.
  3. Photorx12

Photorx12 Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2011
  4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    I have an EXCELLENT UPS driver for my neighborhood, but you never know when you are shipping out.

I think all these services are the same. I shipped a lens via USPS, and the postal carrier did not get the siggy, and the lens ended up missing. The said I could "file a complain" -- what fun!
  5. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    On the plus side, if they dropped off without signature it's a fairly easy thing to prove and to make them make amends for it if something went missing.
  6. Fred49

Fred49 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2010

after a few very bad experiences with UPS, i dont buy a product if there is no other option for shipping.
  7. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Not so for USPS. I didn't ship insured, so they said they'd refund me the $2.05 signature fee, but not cover the loss, even though they reprimanded the carrier. Always ship insured, if you want recourse. Luckily it was only a $140 lens.
  8. Warren T.

Warren T. Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 10, 2010
    San Francisco
    UPS has also thrown packages over our front gate, or left boxes outside our house in inclement weather. Thankfully, none of these packages contained sensitive photographic or electronic equipment, and nothing that I received has arrived damaged... yet.

9. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I think it's a holiday thing. Around this time of year they'll ignore the signature requirements... At least that's what I've noticed.
  10. Aegon

Aegon Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    Portland, OR
    I had a Pentax K-5 sitting on my doorstep for a whole day, "signature required".

Easy $1000 for any passerby. I was lucky that nobody took it.

Come to think of it, I've had other bad UPS experiences.

First, when I ordered heavy brake parts, the delivery lady left a note and ran off so she wouldn't have to carry the heavy boxes. In my mind, the reason I paid $30 instead of $10 for shipping these parts was because someone was going to get paid to lift them.

Second, just the other day the UPS guy left a note and ran off without knocking. I guess it makes his route go quicker.
  11. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Holy crap! I guess they waive all would think there would be more of an uproar over that sort of lack of accountability.
  12. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Well, they said I could file a complaint with my local (Boston) PO, who would then contact the target (CA) PO. But for me, for $140, that many months of sturm and drang in my life, I just couldn't face. I will simply always ship insured now.
  13. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 18, 2011
    On the flip side, I own a business that ships all the domestic packages with UPS. Many thousands of them. Over the years I've had to file exactly one claim for a lost package. No delivery company is perfect, but I certainly can't complain about UPS.
  14. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    I've had plenty of bad UPS experiences and I think it has a lot to do with the amount of productivity the company is trying to squeeze from its workers. How many times have you been left a little yellow ticket on your door saying that this was the "final notice" or "third attempt" at delivering the package - even though you know it was the first time?

Some people complain about items which should require signatures being left at the door anyway. For me, I've had to take days off from work to get my package because I leave before they start and get home well after they stop. Even when I've signed the release, often I still can't get the package. I have to go to their local depot to pick it up. But - guess what? - they're not open on Saturdays and I end up having to take a day or half-day off becuase I have a very long commute into New York City every day.

FedEx may have its own issues but when something like this happens with them, I just tell them to hold the package at the depot until Saturday when I'll pick it up. The USPS is far from perfect but I suspect many of us will be sorry if they cut back on service.
  15. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Here's two things I learned about UPS recently:

1) don't use them to ship to Canada. They use a broker, who suddenly charges a not insignificant fee (in my case it was $34 for a $50 item!)

2) If you ship from a "UPS Store" then you are not the shipper! The store is. On the above issue, I couldn't really do anything with the shipment. The UPS Store had to call and ask for me. Royal pain in the rear! I guess the UPS stores are franchises, and they are shipping FOR you. Not sure how insurance would work in that case (if there was a claim, I guess the store would make it, get the proceeeds, and then supposedly return the payment to you?)
  16. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Yeah, I think that's right. The UPS driver in our neighborhood is really really good, although I generally have things left at the door rather than requiring a signature. But around the holidays, I think things get soooo crazy for them that they just naturally get a bit sloppy. Our regular guy has an assistant in the truck with him this time of year and I'm sure the assistant doesn't know the neighborhood like the regular guy. Last year I found a package that was supposed to be coming for me two days later sitting on a vacant front stoop elsewhere in our complex. This year we've gotten a couple of packages intended for neighbors that just got left at the wrong door. Not surprising when you think about what an overwhelming spike they get for the week or two right before Christmas...

17. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    Heh. Yes. This week I found a UPS package in the woods along my driveway. How does that happen? I figure the guy put it on the back of the truck or the running board, went in for more packages, and forgot it on the back/running board. It then fell off the truck as he was existing the driveway.

This is not the first time for stuff like this. Every once in a while a missing package comes to light after the snow melts.

Mostly they are good. Sometimes they are not.

18. turbodieselvw

turbodieselvw Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2010
    UPS does not use a broker. They act as the broker and charge an arm and a leg for that service. When shipprd with USPS, the package gets delivered by Canada Post when it gets into Canada. CP charges a flat rate of $5 as the brokerage service or service charge plus the taxes that we have to pay. When buying from the US, I always ask that the item be sent by USPS and Not uPS or FedEx. If the seller insists on not using USPS I refuse to buy it.

19. turbodieselvw

turbodieselvw Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2010
    Whether there is a spike in packages or not, if UPS can't handle the volume then they should not be accepting that many packages. And if the driver can't be bothered to read and deliver the package to the correct address then he or she should not be doing that job. It's as simple as that.

20. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    Not only did they screw me on the shipment W21 is talking about last month, but last week they left jewelery on my front step when I was home. I saw the truck in front of my house, so I walked to my front door and the driver was walking away with out even ringing the bell leaving the package on my front step. Phoned UPS about it and the hung up on me and I wasn't even being rude.