1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Uploading, Publishing, Sharing and Promoting websites

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by RaZZ3R, Jul 21, 2013.

1. RaZZ3R

RaZZ3R Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2011
    Italy
    Ovidiu
    I would like to know what sites do you use to upload, publish, share and promote your work, be it professional or pure love for the shutter click, and WHY is that your chosen option, amongst others.

I ask this as I would like to try one myself and I would love some (helpful) opinions.

2. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Wordpress and Zenfolio. I like to write about my work, so this combination allows me that option. And Zenfolio makes it easy for me to control access to my images.

--Ken

3. RaZZ3R

RaZZ3R Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2011
    Italy
    Ovidiu
    I was hoping more people arguing for or against Photobucket, Flickr, 500px, Google+, Facebook, SmugMug, etc

4. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Your choice depends, in part, on your audience. I prefer a small, but interested, group of readers, so I avoided the social media sites. But, as I said, I like to write about my work, so WP is really an ideal platform for me.

Good luck,

--Ken

5. edwardconde

edwardconde Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I use several networks.

Flickr - is where all my images are uploaded and shared from. I add my images to the flickr groups and I am active in discussion on a few those groups. I have ifttt.com automatically post a link to image onto twitter.

Google+ - I am part of several of the communities where I share individual images or small group of images.

Blogger - This is where I have my digitalchemicals blog. I link to the images I have on flickr. I write about how I shoot, edit and share my photos. Along with everything in between. I share to tumblr & twitter from here via IFTT. I also manually share to G+.

Tumblr - I have my blog automatically update my tumblr page using IFTTT.com I manually add images from my flickr to my tumblr.

Facebook - I have a facebook fan page for my blog. It gets updated the same way twitter and tumblr do through ifttt.com/

Twitter - It gets automatically updated with IFTT.com from flickr and from blogger.

About.Me - This is where I usually send everyone too... This shows all of my connections to all the different social networks. Its free and pretty cool..

All of my links are listed in my signature...

6. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I use Smugmug. Been using them since 2006, IIRC. They are very solid, rarely down. All the bells and whistles of customization and passwords. They are family owned and when you call, you get to speak to a real person and they are very pleasant.

Gary

7. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I also joined SmugMug around then. But, I know have an account at Zenfolio, and I find it much easier to control access to my images. SM only had two layers of hierarchy. ZF allows you the ability to arrange your images with a file explorer/finder style interface. Much easier for my taste. I still have my SM account, but rarely use it.

--Ken