1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

upgrading

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by BAKatz, May 21, 2012.

1. BAKatz

BAKatz Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 9, 2010
    Riverdale, NY
    Ok, so I logged out and came back.
    With everyone drooling over the new OM-D, and congrats to those who got theirs, I just want to say, as an EPL-1 (I) user, I can't wait for what's coming up next in the PEN line.
    It's not worth it to upgrade now, all the other PENs have the same 12.3 sensor. So, what's next ?
    I'm guessing at least the same sensor as the OM-D.
    I really like the size of the PENs, and for me, the features are fine. So I guess I'll wait and see what comes down the pike.
    Just sayin'.

2. Brownian

Brownian Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2012
    Ireland
    Size of the pen? It's bigger of course. :wink:

[​IMG]

3. BAKatz

BAKatz Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 9, 2010
    Riverdale, NY
    Physically ? Maybe a little bigger, if it needs to be. Still shouldn't have a viewfinder, because if you own an EPL-1,2 or 3, and don't have an EVF 2 or 3, then you probably aren't going to ever get one. Especially since the 3 has a tilt screen. I'll assume they fixed the bulb setting dilemma and the ability to use a remote release by now ( they did, right ? ).
    Keep it pocketable ( with the right lens )
    Most important, a drop in the cost of the lenses.
    PLEASE !!!!

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Whatever new upgrade comes in the PEN line, it will have the new sensor of the E-M5. That's always the way Olympus works, consistently using the best sensor and imaging technology they have available in every model from entry-level to pro. There have been a few rare exceptions, such as the E-520 and E-420, but those were isolated cases which basically just added the new Remote Commander system (and extra IBIS option for the E-520).

In light of the OM-D line, I think the PEN lines that best exemplify the advantages of a PEN are the new bodies used in the Lite and Mini lines. I love my Minis, and although an E-M5 could complement them it could never replace them.

There are rumors of a new camera body being announced with this next spring announcement. It would not surprise me if it were a new Mini or a new Lite. I know many would love to see an E-7, but the E-5 is only a year and a half old which is half the product life of a pro-grade body! The E-P3 will probably not be replaced so quickly, as it was an upgrade to the E-PL2, not just the E-P2. Therefore, it's had the shortest life span of all.

My money is on an E-PM2. It's an exciting new line, and Olympus has a history of quickly building up on the new. Just like the E-P1, which only served for 6 months before the E-P2 came out.

Oh... and the new "Portrait" teaser from Olympus... which most of us are assuming is to herald the m.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8 lens, appears to feature two bodies of the Lite class. That probably gives us a clue as well...

5. BAKatz

BAKatz Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 9, 2010
    Riverdale, NY
    I thought the E-5 was going to be the last in that line, and that another line was going to take its place. I'm probably wrong, but I thougt I read that somewhere.
    I'm not fond of the mini's. Prefer the lite's. I don't know why.

6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Nothing but nasty rumors. :) Hell, when the E-5 was less than 1 year old, rumors were already spreading that Olympus has "abandoned Four-Thirds" because they hadn't announced a successor to the E-5 yet. :rolleyes: They just carry over the same rumor that had been going since the E-3, which was also a sign that Olympus had abandoned the pro-lineup since it took them nearly 4 years to introduce a successor to the E-1. Then the E-5 came along 3 years later, which is all within natural timelines of any pro-grade body from any manufacturer. Yet the rumors still don't stop, no matter how "normal" and in-line the release dates are in comparison with other manufacturers. The best thing to do with these rumors is to ignore them... It's business as usual for Olympus, and the cameras are still carrying on their natural progression.

Countless of self-professed die-hard Olympus users spent a fortune to jump ship to another format over baseless rumors, only to come back to the system they love that much poorer. A few never came back, but the majority seem to. ;) So don't let rumors do you harm.

Yes, what you think you read is probably exactly what you did read somewhere... but it wouldn't be from a qualified source by Olympus.

Tilt screen and a few extra buttons? It may not seem like much, but it can be significant depending on who's using it. I don't blame you for preferring the Lite line... I'm curious though to see what the next iteration of the Mini will be like though. Perhaps it'll be more like the current Lite?