Upgrading to OM-D M5 II - hopefully my reasoning is sound ...

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by loribincal, Mar 13, 2018.

1. loribincal

loribincal Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 16, 2018
    Cali
    So I am pretty new to photography, and I got myself a Pen-EP3 on eBay body only, used for $100, which has given me some pretty decent pictures. Definitely got the bug now!

I'm also building up a rather large collection of original OM lenses which I am using with both the Pen and an Olympus OMG! and OM-1 as well (OMG came with a lens, and I actually like it, and I got an OM-1 for a steal on Craigslist locally recently - again He had a lens for sale, but it seemed too good to pass up an OM-1 in such great condition as well)

I did pick up a cheap pancake digital lens from amazon, but to be honest, much prefer using the older Zuiko lenses with the camera, and also adapting other lenses to work with it as well.

I'm using a metabones speedbooster ultra with the micro four-thirds. Probably my biggest investment in this whole thing (I'm pretty crafty and I am even making my own unique camera bags out of old leather and canvas bags)

I've been having an issue where I think pictures are in focus, and they look ok on the display on the back of the EP3, only to find when I get home that they were not 'quite' right and thus a picture is ruined.

I read that focus peaking will help with this kind of thing, so I feel I would benefit from an upgrade of the EP-3

I was initially thinking of getting a used Sony A7, but then I figured that I wanted to keep my investment in the speedbooster, which gives me close to what I would be getting with the full frame with my OM lenses, and also gives me a faster lens (my 50mm 1.4 is fantastic in low-light on the EP3)

Therefore I am looking very hard at the OM-D M5 II instead and staying with the micro four-thirds

I did not go for a Pen-F because I am left-eye dominant and I think the viewfinder on the left would drive me nuts!

Also, the OM-D looks a lot like my two old 35mm Olympus cameras as well.

Is my reasoning sound, or should I go with the Pen-F or jump to the full-frame Sony A7 to get the 1x crop from my OM lenses?

2. siftu

siftu Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Mar 26, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    siftu
    I have the Em5II, its a fine camera, I don't have the metabones and I generally dont use m43 for adapting lenses but here goes. For manual focusing I generally use the magnify feature, I assign it a button of the back. When I frame the shot I press the magnify button and generally do a 5x zoom. That allows me to obtain very accurate focus. I have the camera set that on half shutter button press the magnify comes off, I do my last composition and then fully press the shutter.

I have tried the Sony A7 and A7ii since I believe FF is the best for adapting old lenses. I never really got along with either but I might give the new A7iii a go when it comes out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    Make sure it's bad focus rather than motion blur, camera shake, or shutter shock. Magnify mode should work well to ensure focus. I used it on my EPL1, a much older camera, with manual lenses.

4. Just get an E-M10 II if the main thing you're after is focus peaking on an OM-D. IMO the punch in magnify and focus peaking features on Panasonic are way better (I own both) but nothing as cheap and cheerful as the E-M10 II if you want IBIS and a centered EVF.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. FYI you can get APS-C speedboosters to use on Fuji-X and Sony-E mount that basically eliminate crop factor from legacy FF lenses. Fuji are properly retro as well, but you'll lose IBIS. E-M10 IIs are also way cheaper than X-T20s.

6. gnarlydog australia

gnarlydog australia Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damiano Visocnik
    For critical focus where depth of field is shallow the back screen on the E-P3 is a challenge.
    I can only check if things are sharp when using focus magnify but can't do it on the fly.
    Now, with a nice EVF things changed for me and most times when I go to confirm that I nailed focus (focus magnify) with adapted lenses I am on the money or pretty close.
    So yes, a camera with a decent EVF will really make your manual focusing much easier and precise.
    As suggested by @wjiang@wjiang the recently superseded E-M10 Mk2 is real value for money and unless you are going to take advantage of the additional features of the E-M5 Mk2 (nothing extra for using vintage lenses, only native ones) then it's worth saving a lot of money on the cheaper model.

7. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    I would agree with the above suggestions. The E-M10ii has most of what the E-M5ii has save weather sealing, HiRes and a little more for video. Since you are using adapted lenses, the weather sealing is not needed. I think you would be more than happy with an E-M10ii and I bet it would pair well with OM lenses, since they tend to be compact. You could even get a dumb adapter so that each lens gives you two FL, with or without the Metabones.

As for focus assist: I tend to use magnify for focus assist. Although if I had a body with a better implementation of focus peaking, I might go with that instead. But you definitely need an EVF.

8. loribincal

loribincal Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 16, 2018
    Cali
    Thanks guys, I just went for the M5 II, mainly to get access to the Hi-res mode. There was a good deal on Amzn for one and I ended up paying just short of $600 including shipping for one that's new/open-box but with a years warranty.

• Like Like x 3
  9. siftu

Mar 26, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    siftu
    I use the high-res mode more than most people for scanning in film

10. dogs100

dogs100 Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Nov 12, 2011
    N Devon UK
    Geoff
    Sorry for hi-jacking the thread but ...
    I am not very technical but I have boxes of slides that need 'digitalising' so is there a way I can do that with hi-res mode?
    If I get a positive lead I will start a new thread.

11. loribincal

loribincal Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 16, 2018
    Cali
    That's fine, hijack away!! I am also curious about how you do this. I had not even considered using that feature for that. I was using my Pixma printer which can scan negatives and slides up until now to scan in my developed negs.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  12. TNcasual

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    A good deal is a good deal. I would like to try the Hi-res mode at some time, too. And you get the option buying a weather-sealed lens in the future to have a sealed rig - I suggest the Oly 60, it's fairly low cost and very versatile.

• Like Like x 1
  13. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    I would think it to be impractical. Slow and tedious. Best to use a dedicated scanner. Either a flat-bed with light lid (better) or film scanner (best).

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. siftu

Mar 26, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    siftu
    I don't find that the case, but I have invested the time to create a setup which minimizes my workflow. I have a flatbed (v700), a pakon f-135 (dedicated film scanner) and the em5ii for scanning film.

For color 35mm negative film in strips the pakon is the least work and has great color. Its poor with slide, has 6mp of resolution, and requires Windows XP.

The flatbed is the slowest of them all, has slightly better resolution than the pakon, worse colors, is a lot of work to load and scan and is not all that sharp, especially for 35mm film. It's decent with MF and LF.

The em5ii on a copy stand, with a macro lens and a decent backlight, hooked up to Olympus Capture (tethering) can blast through a roll in a few minutes. It could be quicker than the pakon if your setup is right. It out resolves them all with regards to resolution by a long shot. B&W is very simple, slide is not too bad if you set the correct WB. Color film is another story, I'm currently using a color enlarger head for the backlight to "zero" out the base color and get get good results.

So I guess no one rules them all, it all depends what stock, size/format and quality you want when scanning as to which tool you pick. Anyone want a v700?

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. TNcasual

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    Would you mind sharing a photo of your setup with the E-M5?

16. siftu

Mar 26, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    siftu
  17. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Please post some of your work when you get a chance. I think your choice was a good one. You'll also get another stop in ISO noise and DR moving up the sensor generation from the EP3.

18. runner girl

runner girl Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Nov 26, 2011
    I have both the EM5 MKII and EM10 MKII, both are great cameras. I use spot metering quite often. With the EM5 the metering point moves with the focus point (there was a firmware update for that). With the EM10 the metering point is always in the center, not as usable. Also the EM5 has red as a focus peaking color option and the EM10 has only black and white - not as functional IMHO. The EM5 also has more function buttons.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  19. Chris5107

Chris5107 Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    Chris
    I think you are going to love the EM5-Mk2. I had the older Pens and have this one now and love it. The Great viewfinder and focus peaking make manual focus lenses much more fun to use. Good choice.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.