1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Upgrading to Oly 14-42mm II ???

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Muntjack, May 19, 2011.

1. Muntjack

Muntjack Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 26, 2010
    I had a close look at the mark II kit lens the other day and I must say the design is a serious improvement over the original wobbly little thing. This is the one part of my mu43 kit I don't like and rarely use. That's a pity as it's such a key focal range.

Has anyone upgraded? How did you do it? Was it economically worthwhile etc. Happy with IQ ?

The black mark II is £287 on Amazon.uk and I presume I couldn't get more than £100 (if that) for mine.

I've no idea about how to go about this myself and would appreciate any advice.

M

2. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    The IQ is somewhat better....I don't use cameras for video so that aspect is moot to me...

3. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I feel your pain : the original kit lens is the reason the early e-P1 didn't grab me when I tried one in the shop - ages ago.
    Now I have the 17mm and actually like the thing!

As for buying a MkII without losing serious dosh ... surely you should look to a new body+lens kit and sell what you don't need? £287 is a complete rip-off for a kit lens.

4. Muntjack

Muntjack Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 26, 2010
    Now that's something that hadn't occurred to me at all. Many thanks for the suggestion.... I'll definitely mull that one over.

Kit II = £280

or

E-PL2 + Kit II = £400 ish
    Sell Kit I for £75

Left with two good bodies and decent lenses for a bit more than the price of a lens.

I coud be persuaded :smile::2thumbs:

5. KS11

KS11 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2011
    Busan/Hong Kong
    i have both and can say the mk2 is a tad bit sharper on the 14mm range. as for focusing and the whatnot i think anything would be better than the slow focusing, wobbly, hunting for focus all the time mk I version of the lens.

however, it isnt such a huge improvement. yeah sure its silent when focusing (and maybe that adds to the perception and fact that it focuses faster than the mk1), but in everyday pictures and photos it's not that noticeable.

the build quality is like you said, much much better than the mk1, much more solid feelwise and better for adaptors (being 37mm)

6. Muntjack

Muntjack Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 26, 2010
    Thanks for that info. Kind of strengthen my view that the economics has to be the key to this conundrum.
    How is sunny Gas Town? I was there about 30 years ago and it remains one of my favourite places on the planet.

M

7. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Plus the MKII version has an available hood without step up ring(s) and aftermarket hood.

8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yeah, when I first pre-ordered my E-P1 PEN before they arrived in Canada, it was the kit with the 17mm + VF-1 Viewfinder that I wanted. Unfortunately, those didn't end up arriving in Canada for whatever reason. The ones with the kit zoom came a week or two early, but because I was holding out for the pancake (that's a lot of dough to shell out and not get what you want!) I ended up getting my E-P1 late. Eventually I had to give up on the pancake and just get the kit zoom! At the time, there was no other camera in the world like the PEN, so I had to have one at any cost, because it did fill a real need... :)

After the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 came out though, I no longer felt gypped by not getting the m.Zuiko 17mm pancake, because the Panasonic seems to be better in every way (sharper, faster, less CA, nicer build and feel...). In the end though, I finally decided that I didn't need any Micro Four-Thirds lenses because I am very happy with my Zuiko 25mm f/2.8 pancake on the mount adapter, giving me easier access to my entire collection of telecentric Four-Thirds lenses.

This is how I ended up with the Mark II lens, was as a kit with the E-PL2 as an upgrade to my old E-P1 (I still haven't gotten rid of my Mark I metal-mounted lens). I have to say though, that I am very happy with the lens and will be keeping it around for all my video use! The smooth, quiet MSC focus and zoom makes this lens completely different from its Mark I counterpart. Image Quality I don't think has changed... They went from ED glass to Aspherical glass, giving less wide angle distortion, and I think that's about the only real change optically (ED glass, used on the Mark I, should theoretically be sharper but tests don't seem to show any lesser performance in the Mark II. The Aspherical glass handles wide angle better though, which is probably the reason for the change). The only reason I kept the Mark I lens was in case I needed C-AF, since all my other lenses are Four-Thirds. I ended up never using that lens, but this Mark II MSC version will make an excellent video lens, and I don't expect to be getting rid of it.

9. KS11

KS11 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2011
    Busan/Hong Kong
    > up until a couple of days ago "sunny" gastown was still "cloudy ad depressing" gastown....

10. isabel95

isabel95 Mu-43 Top Veteran

I didn't have the original 14-42 and bought the II

I love it!

IQ is wonderful.

I've posted a link to this gallery elsewhere, but most of the pictures on my very recent vacation to the southwest were taken with this lens, and it was a good choice, except for really low light.

Road Scholar Pueblo Heritage Photo Gallery by Isabel Cutler at pbase.com

Isabel

11. timallenphoto

timallenphoto Mu-43 Veteran

May 20, 2011
    Kent, England
    Bit of a noobie question, my 14-42 has ED written on it, this means it's the Mk II version yes? If so I'm rather pleased as I paid so little for it :)

edit: my mistake, having seen pics I must have the mark one version.

12. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Only the E-PL1s & E-PL2 have the Mk II lens...

13. timallenphoto

May 20, 2011
    Kent, England
    I asked as I bought my E-P1 body and lens separately from each other and thought I might have got the new one instead. Quite happy with mk1 so far though.

14. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    No, the ED version is the Mark I, not the Mark II.

Surprisingly, the Mark II version uses only Aspherical glass and not ED. I believe the reason for this was because of the better handling of Wide Angle through Aspherical elements, and this is actually where the Mark II displays stronger characteristics than the Mark I, is in sharper and less distorted Wide Angle. Other than that, they both have almost identical optical performance.

By Mark II I mean the MSC (Movie and Still Compatible) version, by the way... It's actually the 3rd installment of this lens, as the E-PL1 had come out with a version identical to the first (included with the E-P1 and E-P2) except with a plastic mount instead of the original metal mount (the newest MSC version also has a plastic mount now).

Easy way to tell the 3 versions... Mark I with metal and plastic mount are both marked "ED", while the Mark II is marked with "MSC". :)

15. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    ...and the E-PL1s was only available in Japan if I'm correct? The E-PL2 is the first to bring this lens worldwide.

16. timallenphoto

May 20, 2011
    Kent, England
    Thanks all, I must have a metal mount mk1 then. Am I right in thinking you can't fit a hood to my version?

17. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    You just can't fit a bayonet hood, but you can use any kind of hood that fits on your filter thread. Either use a 40.5mm rangefinder hood (Leica makes really nice hard hoods for this size, and there are Leica knock-offs which are cheaper... or B+W makes a rubber hood which actually looks quite fashionable and is more compact than the Leica rangefinder hoods), or get a step-up ring from 40.5mm to 49mm, and use old standard SLR accessories. Yes, the 40.5mm filter size was used in rangefinder lenses in the past, but was not used in SLR lenses. Thus, you can find accessories, but not as readily as SLR sizes. If you want to get a lot of filters, then I would suggest a step-up ring to an SLR size, but if you just want a hood then the rangefinder size is good and probably preferred.

Here are some photos for you:
    2010-05-13-08-45-020-ep2.
    Leica knock-off lens hood (an an E-P2).
    Photo courtesy of Michael Meissner, taken without permission from the-meissners.org.

B+W rubber lens hood (on an E-P1).
    Photo courtesy of Ned Yeung, taken with permission from Flickr host.

18. timallenphoto

May 20, 2011
    Kent, England
    Thanks for your help, though I must admit I prefer clip on hoods which come off easily in case of impact and in my opinion provide better protection than a screw in. However the rubber hood sounds like a good compromise which I will investigate.