Upgrading PC

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Dad Pun Joke Master Over Nine Thousand Meme Lord
Real Name
Ovidiu
HUGE improvement

On PC1, 2-core to 4-core, +SSD
Old setup: The major updates 20H2 and 21H1, took overnight to run.
New: The two updates from 1909 to 20H2 to 21H1, each ran in what felt like minutes. Well less than 30 minutes, including the restart.

On PC2. 2-core i3 to 4-core i5, + SSD.
Power ON startup.
With the old setup, I could go make coffee and it would still be running when I got back. This was the most painful part of using the old computer. ANY restart of the computer was painfully slow.​
New: Power ON, startup is a HUGE improvement.​
Weekly updates:
Old: When it ran some of the larger MS weekly updates, it could take the computer out for HOURS. That was REALLY frustrating. How are you supposed to work when the update makes the computer unusable until it finishes? That was/is my beef about auto updates, and why I always turn them OFF. This was my scenario at prior companies:​
I come into the office for an early meeting, plug the laptop in, turn it on, and it starts to update. The laptop is unusable until the update completes. I tell the boss, that my computer is running an automatic update, and I can't do anything on my computer until the dang update finishes. He is MAD, but neither of us can do anything.​
I argued with IT when they implemented automatic PUSHING updates to the computer. Because that was sometime the cause of the above problem. Pushing updates only works for computers that are left on the network and left on, so the update happens at night, NOT for laptops that are taken home.​
New: When I ran the post 21H1 install update, it ran MUCH faster, maybe less than 15 minutes (I did not time it). So I am not dreading the large weekly Windows updates anymore.​
Wife's task is to bring home the software file from the office, with the CDs and keys, so I can reinstall the software.​
Once my wife uses it, I may end up swapping this computer with the one at her office, and doing the same CPU+SSD upgrade to that one.​
SSD should be enforced by law, the improvement in responsiveness and quality of life is ... life-changing. Even the slowest, cheapest, and smallest of SSDs will give you a huge improvement over hard drives. For the cost of 25-35 $ any 120GB SSD is worth it.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
SSD should be enforced by law, the improvement in responsiveness and quality of life is ... life-changing. Even the slowest, cheapest, and smallest of SSDs will give you a huge improvement over hard drives. For the cost of 25-35 $ any 120GB SSD is worth it.

It wasn't really needed in the past, but . . .
  • Win10 startup on a has gotten slower, especially on the older PCs, and consumer level PCs.
  • The large Win10 weekly updates were PAINFULLY SLOW. And that is something that one can expect on a regular basis.
So yeah, a SSD is now a practical "got to have."

John King

Member of SOFA
Real Name
John ...
It wasn't really needed in the past, but . . .
  • Win10 startup on a has gotten slower, especially on the older PCs, and consumer level PCs.
  • The large Win10 weekly updates were PAINFULLY SLOW. And that is something that one can expect on a regular basis.
So yeah, a SSD is now a practical "got to have."
Totally agree.

It is also absolutely essential NOT to allow Windows to manage the swap file/virtual memory file.

Defragment the target drive first. Reboot computer.

Decide on a sensible size (e.g. 4GB for a machine with 16 GB RAM) and set this as both minimum and maximum.

If Windows needs more VM, it will automatically allocate it. Next reboot will reset it to your settings.

This avoids all versions of Windows from progressively fragmenting that drive ...

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Real Name
Ovidiu
Totally agree.

It is also absolutely essential NOT to allow Windows to manage the swap file/virtual memory file.

Defragment the target drive first. Reboot computer.

Decide on a sensible size (e.g. 4GB for a machine with 16 GB RAM) and set this as both minimum and maximum.

If Windows needs more VM, it will automatically allocate it. Next reboot will reset it to your settings.

This avoids all versions of Windows from progressively fragmenting that drive ...
NEVER DEFRAGMENT AN SSD ... under absolutely no condition should an SSD be defragmented because it will cut down the lifespan of the SSD significantly and it is a pointless exercise. The reason defragging existed for hard drives was that the closer together (in lumps) information is on a hard drive the quicker the access time it will be to read the information. But SSD has nearly instantaneous access time from the nature of working with a workup table of where the information is and the speed of not using a mechanical head and spinning disk but a voltage regulator to read information.

Defragmentation on an SSD will move data, meaning read and write, and will cut down on the life span of how much voltage one bit can hold over a period of time before it degrades to instability .

John King

Member of SOFA
Real Name
John ...
NEVER DEFRAGMENT AN SSD ... under absolutely no condition should an SSD be defragmented because it will cut down the lifespan of the SSD significantly and it is a pointless exercise. The reason defragging existed for hard drives was that the closer together (in lumps) information is on a hard drive the quicker the access time it will be to read the information. But SSD has nearly instantaneous access time from the nature of working with a workup table of where the information is and the speed of not using a mechanical head and spinning disk but a voltage regulator to read information.

Defragmentation on an SSD will move data, meaning read and write, and will cut down on the life span of how much voltage one bit can hold over a period of time before it degrades to instability .
Depends on the SSD ...

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Real Name
Ovidiu
Depends on the SSD ...
Not really because all SSDs are built on the same underlying technology, usage is the main cause of degradation in SSDs, and defragging is a pointless exercise.

Manufactuere of SSDs statement:
https://www.crucial.com/articles/ab... answer is short and,trouble or harm your SSD.
One of many articles on this subject:
https://www.pcworld.com/article/204...e-truth-about-defragging-your-ssd.html?page=2

John King

Member of SOFA
Real Name
John ...
Not really because all SSDs are built on the same underlying technology, usage is the main cause of degradation in SSDs, and defragging is a pointless exercise.

Manufactuere of SSDs statement:
https://www.crucial.com/articles/about-ssd/should-you-defrag-an-ssd#:~:text=The answer is short and,trouble or harm your SSD.
One of many articles on this subject:
https://www.pcworld.com/article/204...e-truth-about-defragging-your-ssd.html?page=2
In order to get the VM file in one, contiguous area, the disk must be defragmented prior to initial creation of the VM file.

A decent SSD with wear levelling f/w and proper allocation of 'spare sectors' will generally survive about 2+ Petabytes of write cycles, so one or two defrags will not have a significant effect on its lifespan.

Of course, there are SSDs and SSDs ...

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
HUGE improvement

On PC1, 2-core to 4-core, +SSD
Old setup: The major updates 20H2 and 21H1, took overnight to run.
New: The two updates from 1909 to 20H2 to 21H1, each ran in what felt like minutes. Well less than 30 minutes, including the restart.

On PC2. 2-core i3 to 4-core i5, + SSD.
Power ON startup.
With the old setup, I could go make coffee and it would still be running when I got back. This was the most painful part of using the old computer. ANY restart of the computer was painfully slow.​
New: Power ON, startup is a HUGE improvement.​
Weekly updates:
Old: When it ran some of the larger MS weekly updates, it could take the computer out for HOURS. That was REALLY frustrating. How are you supposed to work when the update makes the computer unusable until it finishes? That was/is my beef about auto updates, and why I always turn them OFF. This was my scenario at prior companies:​
I come into the office for an early meeting, plug the laptop in, turn it on, and it starts to update. The laptop is unusable until the update completes. I tell the boss, that my computer is running an automatic update, and I can't do anything on my computer until the dang update finishes. He is MAD, but neither of us can do anything.​
I argued with IT when they implemented automatic PUSHING updates to the computer. Because that was sometime the cause of the above problem. Pushing updates only works for computers that are left on the network and left on, so the update happens at night, NOT for laptops that are taken home.​
New: When I ran the post 21H1 install update, it ran MUCH faster, maybe less than 15 minutes (I did not time it). So I am not dreading the large weekly Windows updates anymore.​
Wife's task is to bring home the software file from the office, with the CDs and keys, so I can reinstall the software.​
Once my wife uses it, I may end up swapping this computer with the one at her office, and doing the same CPU+SSD upgrade to that one.​

PC2 seems to be working fine.
Half of the SW has been installed.
Turns out that some of the computer files and notes were "lost" in the office move :( So my wife has to contact the vendors to get the sw and keys again. And as we get the SW and keys I've been installing them.

The video of my wife's computer at work is flaking out, so this computer may be going in to replace it soon.
Then I get to play with the flaky one, to see what the problem really is. And probably upgrade it.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom