Upgrading Panasonic Lens Firmware on Olympus Camera?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by sgreszcz, Aug 12, 2015.

1. sgreszcz

sgreszcz Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 7, 2012
    I saw that there was a firmware update for the Panasonic 35-100/2.8 lens. The update has to do with the release of the Dual-IS of the Gx8, but I'm hoping that it might cure the video OIS jitters with that lens (as the January 1.2 update did not).

I no longer have a Panasonic body, but I see that the P35-100/2.8 firmware is not yet showing in the Olympus updater app.

Is there any way to update the lens, or just wait for Panasonic to give Olympus the newer firmware?

2. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    The updater is supposed to be common, so I am surprised it is not showing up.

3. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi,

1. you could email Oly and/or Pana support

2. Oly bodies can be updated semi-manually by copying the firmware file to a specially-named folder on an SD card and putting it in the camera, holding a certain button, and turning it on.
    Maybe the same is true for lens firmware?

Barry

4. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    According to this page, it only effects operation on a GX8 body. I would not try to update the lens firmware from an SD card unless someone already succeeded in having it work. Sounds like a possible way to brick the lens, camera or both. (and yes I did update the firmware in my E-M1 from a card).

The improvement for video is only when the lens is used on the GH3/GH4 body:

Update Contents for H-HS35100
    Improvements

Date/Version Description
    2015/08/05
    Ver. 1.3
    1. Dual I.S.( Image Stabilizer ) is available by this firmware update.
      (in case of the usage of Camera with this function)
      * Dual I.S.:Innovative Handshake Correction System by the ideal combination of lens I.S and Body I.S.
    2015/1/21
    Ver.1.2
    1. Improved the stability of O.I.S.[Optical Image Stabilizer] in Motion Picture recording (When using DMC-GH3/GH4)
    2012/12/11
    Ver.1.1
    1. Improved the AF speed with GH3 (240fps control)

5. sgreszcz

sgreszcz Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 7, 2012
    Seems strange that the OIS fix would be specific to a camera body type (GH3/GH4). It definitely didn't improve things on my GX7.

Maybe some day I'll get a GH4 or G7 and see if it is any better, but I doubt it. I read several bad reviews on the Shop.panasonic.com site with respect to the P35-100/2.8 so I was hoping that maybe they fixed the lens properly with the 1.3 firmware.

I'll email Panasonic and Olympus to see if they have anything to say.

6. sgreszcz

sgreszcz Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 7, 2012
    New firmware is there now. Screen Shot 2015-08-20 at 16.58.54.

7. ice29

ice29 Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 10, 2012
    Europe
    my 35-100/2.8 got bricked in E-M10 using the Oly updater ... service repaired it, but it was not a nice experience ... (it was the only problem with any FW update I had though...)
    just make sure you have a good cable, don't touch the camera while updating, and make sure the app won't crash

8. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    I have a clean computing environment (very few things running in the background) and a solid internet connection. Once I start a firmware update, I don't do anything else on the computer. The update worked without issue using an EM-5 running the current firmware using the latest version of camer updater.

9. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    And batteries fully charged.