Upgrading my E-PL1 - GX1 or E-P3?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by finja, Dec 9, 2011.

1. finja

finja Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 29, 2010
    Surprised this hasn't come up much yet...

I'm ready to upgrade my camera body and I'm looking for faster focussing system and better high ISO performance and I think we now have some good options. I know that m4/3's is not best suited for indoor sports but I'm not interested in a large dSLR (I'm hoping we'll get some fast m4/3 zooms soon and I'm taking pics of kids not pros).

GX1 looks good but I don't shoot raw, and I'm not really interested in post processing. Also, I prefer IBIS.

I understand that E-P3 high ISO is not as good as GX1 (older sensor), will that be a problem for indoor sports or will the difference be insignificant?

I'm leaning towards E-P3 for the jpegs, but I can deal with post processing if I will get better shots from the GX1.

For my other usual uses, I don't think there will be much difference between the two.

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
  3. Anthonys

Anthonys Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2011
    Sydney
    Anthony
    From what I've read you won't get much better ISO performance from an E-P3 over an E-PL1. You will get faster AF, especially with the newer Olympus lenses.

If you want IBIS and prefer Olympus JPEGs and don't want to process RAW I would say that clearly rules out the Panasonic bodies?

In that case I'd probably wait for the E-P4 so you see a boost in high ISO performance. 4 3 rumors said something about new Olympus camera announcement early next year..

4. finja

finja Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 29, 2010
    Ned: Imaging Resource link is OOC JPEGs? I've never used that site before. Looks like we are comparing 2 things in that link, combined sensor and JPEG performance. The Pany pictures are not quite as vibrant as I like but the Oly samples look a lot warmer than I'm used to.

Anthonys: I was thinking that if high ISO is much better on the Pany then I would try post processing (maybe Lightroom). Not sure I want to wait for the E-P4 especially since we really don't know if Olympus will upgrade the sensor so it may not be much better than the E-P3.

Locally, both GX1 and E-P3 are in stock and priced the same.

5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yes, these are OOC JPGs.

Olympus colors are always warm and rich. It's in their glass mostly, as well as a bit in their processing. On the same Olympus or non-Olympus camera, you can tell the tell the difference when you mount an old OM lens or if you mount a lens of most any other make. The Olympus always delivers rich, warm colors, and that's even on the same body. They have a lot of warm lenses in the digital lineup as well, such as the very sharp Zuiko 50-200mm. Warm is not ideal for everything though, which is why I have lots of different glass to choose from, some warmer and some cooler. If I want rich warmth though, I always reach for a Zuiko if possible (if I have a Zuiko lens that matches the performance specs I need for the purpose). If I want sharp and cool, I might reach for a Konica Hexanon or something. ;)

I agree with this, I would not wait for some new body that doesn't even exist. When I look at the high ISO (I only bother with up to ISO3200) still life samples on the Comparometer, I do not see any better perfromance out of the GX1 (and likewise, I don't see any better JPG performance out of the E-P3, as the GX-1 does have a much improved JPG engine over previous generation Pannys). The E-P3 delivers very high detail retention, and keeps this even at high ISO. Detail and color retention are the two most important things to high ISO performance, not reduction of noise (which any post-processing software can do).

• Like Like x 1
  6. steve 16:9

steve 16:9 New to Mu-43

Jan 29, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    M4/3 Inside for Sports

If you're going to shoot indoor sports, a M4/3 isn't a great choice. The long lenses are slow, the high ISO ability isn't great, and frame rate is generally pretty marginal.

What I do like the M4/3 for indoor sports is for shooting video -- I don't really like pure video cameras, and my EPL-3 works well shooting short video clips.

If you're going to be serious about getting some good indoor sports shots, I still think that a DSLR is the way to go. They're more responsive, better in low light, and you can get faster telephotos. If on the other hand, it's just for snapshotty memory shots, nothing wrong with a M4/3. I like the EPL-3 as it's got a reasonable frame rate.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I think this one sentence pretty much sums up the response to your entire post, Steve...
    PS, fast telephotos can be adapted. I use Four-Thirds for fast zooms and legacy for fast telephoto primes. There is no reason to be stuck with slow lenses.

So did you ever decide on a camera yet, Finja?

8. rex87

rex87 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2011
    winnipeg, mb
    just wait for OM-D to be release on march and get the EP3. Im sure prices are droping after that.

9. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    But what if when the OM-D is released you discover that you must have it?

10. mqavila

mqavila Mu-43 Regular

+1 on this. :)

11. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Red roses and a nice dinner for the wife?

followed by some subtle begging...

:p

12. rex87

rex87 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2011
    winnipeg, mb
    ^^x2 I'll go with this..:smile:

13. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

if that doesn't work... try plan B

Buy her a day at the spa......

then sneak off to the camera shop. Be prepared to ask forgiveness while she's all nice and relaxed from spending all day at the spa.