Upgrading my camera soon. Im sure this has been done to death.... but....

wakemare

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Matt
Hey guys, (long long time lurker, first time poster)

I have been doing photography for quite a number of years now, 5+ and started on Canon G1X, upgraded to Canon 50D with various basic lenses, I always loathed the size of a traditional SLR but really loved the quality.... I bought a little old Olympus PEN1 Mini E-PM1 and fell in love with the u43 format, so i upgraded to a used Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mki (got it and the 12-50mm f3.5-6.3 for AU$600 - great bargain).

I shoot landscapes and street/industrial photography and am slowly getting into events, portraits and weddings. I have the following lenses:

- Olympus 12-50mm f3.5-6.3
- Olympus 40-150mm f4-5.6 (old 4/3 lens with the adapter for u43 - YES its slow but goddamn the quality is amazing)
- Olympus 15mm f8 BCL
- Panasonic 25mm f1.7
- Panasonic 45-175mm f4-5.6 (HD original version - such a good lens for the AU$125 i spent on it)
- Canon FD 50mm f1.8 (so nice, portraits look lovely)
- Canon FD 100mm f2.8 (again, this lens is sick, so good for portraits)
- Vivitar FD 28mm f2.8 (not used much but not bad)

I have a little money to spend on upgrading some of my equipment as i am genuinely wanting to take my photography to the next level and start to get into more paid work and some real estate photography. I guess, my question is this, i am basically rusted onto Olympus because i absolutely adore the weather sealing on my E-M5 and havnt really seen how the weather sealing is on the Panasonic cameras. I was very VERY close to buying a Panasonic GX8 a while ago, i love the look, but something felt off, i dont know what it was. What are peoples experiences with the following:

- Olympus OM-D E-M1 MkI (and the MkII - if it comes down to it i MAY be persuaded to spend the extra to get the MkII)
- Panasonic GH series (i checked the GH3 for video work - but what about the GH4?)
- Olympus OM-D E-M5 MkII
- Panasonic GX7 and 8 (i kinda wanna know what you guys like about it)
- Anything else you guys could think of.

I LOVE weather sealing, i do try to get out 'in it' with the weather and like to know my camera wont fry if its bothered a little. I am also going to be buying the Olympus 12-40mm f2.8 Pro in the next week or so.

I would just love to see what people are thinking here. I just want to get the best I can for around AU$1000 no more than about AU$1500.

Thanks for the read, i hope this post isnt too scatterbrain.

You guys ROCK

ddekadt

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Daniel
I used an E-M5i for five years (and loved it), and then upgraded to the E-M1i. It's a huge leap in quality on most dimensions, though the actual image quality is basically the same. The body feels way more solid, the buttons aren't tiny and flimsy, the dials feel solid, it's a lot faster, and the EVF is much nicer. I got mine lightly used for about US$500 on here. For the price, I think it represents great value for money.

I would say, in general I try to avoid using new tech. You just get accustomed to things you don't actually need (e.g. being able to scroll through photos at lightning speed, or a slightly improved EVF), and then you are spoiled for life. Moving from an E-M5i to an E-M1i will still feel like a major upgrade, but if you start playing around with newer cameras you might not find yourself satisfied.

Good luck!

wakemare

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Matt
Dude, awesome, thanks so much, thats a really good point, I have been very close to pulling the trigger on the E-M1 MkI for the last couple of weeks, they r too cheap to not.... BUT..... what about this 'rear dial issue' i hear so much about?

Saledolce

Mu-43 All-Pro
I would pick an Em5ii, very natural upgrade path, you get benefits and stay on something you are familiar with. Said that, are you sure you want to start with a new body? I'd probably upgrade to pro glass first.

Levster

Mu-43 All-Pro
Moving from an E-M5i to an E-M1i will still feel like a major upgrade

I agree, you will notice a big difference going up to the E-M5 Mk II. You will also benefit from the high res mode, which can be useful for certain landscape or cityscape shots (things need to be fairly static). If you pick up the grip you get the best of both worlds: a nice small, discreet camera for street shots; and you can add the grip for comfort.

I have a G9, and at times I wonder if the E-M5ii could satisfy most of my requirements for 50% less cost!

Frogwatch

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Matthew
Recent deals from Australian buyers thread in your price range (new at least),
E-M5ii
For Australian Buyers
G9 (oh... hang on this has now expired)
For Australian Buyers

As per @Saledolce's comment I think you'll find the 12-40 to be a good addition on the old EM-5. This is a safe upgrade.
I would strongly recommend having a play with whatever body you decide on with the 12-40 as you'll most likely end up with that lens on your camera a fair bit.

Dinobe

Mu-43 Veteran
I'm still using an EM5 MkI. There is no real advantage in image quality going to a EM5 MkII or EM1 MkI
Why not invest your money in better lenses?
- O 12-40 f2.8 pro
- P35-100 f2.8

Bread and butter lenses

- O 75 1.8
- O 25 1.2

Wedding stuff?

wakemare

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Matt
Guys this is all going really well i totally hear ya about pro grade glass, i DEFINITELY want that and will be investing in some new glass, like i said ill be all over the 12-40mm f2.8 this week or so... but i was just thinking what would be good for pro work in terms of body. I mean i love the look and feel of the E-M1 Mki.... i am 6'6' tall with large hands so the grip on my E-M5 is good and the E-M1 Mki (and obvs Mkii) is a great size. I just need to get pro glass i guess.... yeah i LOVE the look of the Olympus 7-14mm f2.8 Pro, i DEFINITELY will be grabbing that soon.

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ross
I'm still using an EM5 MkI. There is no real advantage in image quality going to a EM5 MkII or EM1 MkI
Why not invest your money in better lenses?
- O 12-40 f2.8 pro
- P35-100 f2.8

Bread and butter lenses

- O 75 1.8
- O 25 1.2

Wedding stuff?
Because using the E-M1 models are so much more responsive (especially the latest) & with electronic shutter, albeit limited in the E-M1 Mk I. There are functions that are worthwhile, & the same goes for the E-M5 Mk II (not that I've tried one as I only have E-M5, E-M1 Mk I & Mk II).

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ross
Dude, awesome, thanks so much, thats a really good point, I have been very close to pulling the trigger on the E-M1 MkI for the last couple of weeks, they r too cheap to not.... BUT..... what about this 'rear dial issue' i hear so much about?
I've not had any problem with mine but if buying used then there is that risk you could be getting one with that fault.

wakemare

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Matt
The fact that the 12-40mm f2.8 Pro will take over some of the other lenses i have i will sell them off tbh. Like the 12-50 f3.5-6.3 i really have learned i do not like this lens. I also have the Olympus 30mm f3.5 macro which i kinda really do love shooting with.... Ill put some money towards a new set of lenses for sure.... The 12-40 and 7-14 oly r on my list:):)

pondball

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I got back into photography with FF Nikon D700 and some kit lens. When I decided travel was in the cards I came here for advice, and subsequently made the switch to mu4/3... with my thought being that glass was more important than the body... with an emphasis on the glass I would use most during travel... so I ordered the 12-200Pro when it was announced, got impatient waiting for it to arrive so bought the 7-14Pro... both brand new. The em1.2 had just been announced too but the price at that time was a blow to the wallet I didn’t want to take and if I had it would have gone against my plan of going with the top of the line glass... so I bought the em5.2 with the grip... a great choice to go with the two lens.

The glass in my sig below?? _ all came used from this forum _ as did my em1.2, except the 17Pro and the 60Macro that I acquired as a result of a recent Gas attack at a photo show. There isn’t a piece of glass there I don’t love, whether it’s on the em5.2 or the em1.2

So like others have said here and to which I agree, if you are looking at improving the quality of your shots for the purpose of going from hobbyist (me) to pro (not me) then you might want to consider upgrading your glass before your (camera) body. Then what you gain $$ from your Pro earnings can be put towards a second, upgraded body. Jmho!

wakemare

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Matt
Man that is such an excellent response. You are absolutrly right i think. I mean. The glass is totally the way to go. I would love to know your opinion about the 12-40 and 7-14mm pro lenses. I have kimda had gear envy looking at forum members who own the 7-14... It just looks incredible. I will go for new glass. I just dont want to have my E-M5 start to die is all. But your advice using the money from paid gigs to go toward thenew body is for sure excellent advice:):) thanks man

Vivalo

Olympus loser
E-M5 mk2 has much better handling and EVF than the mk1. I know this from experience. Also the hi-res mode would be very handy in real estate photography. It gives you more resolution AND better color accuracy. I think you could do weddings and real estate with only three lenses: Oly 7-14 pro, Oly 12-40 pro and Oly 45mm 1.8. It might be wise to keep your old camera as a backup.

wakemare

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Matt
I love my E-M5 so i wont be selling it. Thats really good advice on the lens selection FOR SURE. I mean i would eventually grab the 40-150mm f2.8 pro too

PannyPaul

Mu-43 Regular
To me there is only one body upgrade worth it and that's the EM1 mkii. Can be had in the UK for £900 grey market with 2 year UK service centre warranty. Not sure what that is in AUS.

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
Lenses first.

For real-estate/industrial you need an UWA, I prefer the 8-18 for landscapes but for your purposes the extra width of a 7-14 trumps the filter and size/weight advantages of the 8-18. Since you like Olympus I'd steer clear of the 7-14 f/4 since that has purple blob flares on Olympus bodies.

For portraits, look to the Sigma f/1.4 DC DN series (16mm, 30mm, 56mm) for relatively inexpensive fast glass with beautiful bokeh.

An E-M5 Mk2 is probably a good way to go over an E-M1 Mk1 - you still get the newer EVF but also the high resolution mode for static real estate and industrial shots. You won't gain much with the E-M1 Mk1 - the C-AF isn't that necessary for portraits.

Latest threads

Top Bottom