upgrading from EPL2

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by cowincanada, Jun 25, 2012.

1. cowincanada

cowincanada New to Mu-43

Aug 10, 2011
    hi guys, I just need to pick your brains a little to get some perspective. I currently have an EPL2, and am looking to upgrade. The problem I have with this camera is the slow focusing, can't focus in the dark, and would like an upgrade to the lcd (nice to know the pics are good after you took them and not wait till you have it on the big lcd).

Choice is between a used EP3 (with vf2) or the OMD. For the casual photographer, I'm hoping to get some ideas to help me decide between the 2. I like the ep3's form factor, but coming from an EPL2 - is it worth the upgrade or would it be better to go for OMD? To upgrade to EP3, is 500$, for the OMD its 1000$.

I know this topic has been discussed here and there in the forums, but to those who went through the same decision, I hope you oblige :smile:

2. dogs100

dogs100 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 12, 2011
    N Devon UK
  3. EP1-GF1

EP1-GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 12, 2011
    I have an E-P3 and wouldn't get the E-M5 just because I don't like the form factor as much, or the "proper" camera style. I prefer the tourist look :) I would love the new IBIS though, especially if they would make it work for legacy lenses in video mode.

If you're keeping the E-PL2 then remember you will be able to use the VF-2 on that too. It really is very good.
  4. cowincanada

cowincanada New to Mu-43

Aug 10, 2011
    @dogs100 - thanks I read that thread and it gave a lot of arguments for both sides

@ep1 - yes I really like the look of the ep3 better. the finish and buttons feel much more refined. The top also is less cluttered.

I had both in my hand earlier at the store, and I really like the EP3 + VF2's feel and controls. Even the distance of the vf2 to the ep3 is more comfortable than the built-in evf of the OMD which i found to be too close to the lcd.

BUT, I cannot find it in me to justify the EP3 - which might give me a better shooting experience, but nonetheless produces the same quality pics from my EPL2.

I did not buy the OMD - still thinking about it :biggrin: