Upgrading from EP-3 to M-10 or EP-5?

elandel

Mu-43 All-Pro
Hi all. I have an EP-3 that I am using after selling my M1 because I could not bond with it (I know it's crazy). In the meantime bought a Fuji E-X2 but same thing: outstanding IQ but I feel better with the Pen.

Now I want to upgrade to something with the 16 mpx sensor so my doubt is M-10 or an EP-5?

I read somewhere time ago that there was some issues with the EP-5, shutter shock if I remember well.
My question is: is there any known issues with the EP-5? Will the improvements from an EP-3 be important?
What about the M-10?

Thanks to all.

fransglans

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Gustav
M-10 with the added grip looks nice. and with its evf i think its a no-brainer. for me, its about the feeling you get when youre holding the camera to your eye.

Uncle Frank

Photo Enthusiast
Real Name
Frank
Imo, the ep5 is a significant upgrade to the ep3 in terms of features and image quality. The (over blown) shutter shock issue has been put to rest through a firmware update.

davidzvi

Real Name
David
Do you have a viewfinder for your E-P3? Do you use it? Did you like having it on the E-M1?

It you answer yes to these get an E-M10. If not get an E-P5 or maybe the soon to be released E-PL7. But at least wait the next few weeks as the release should impact prices.

Yes shutter shock was probably overblown (got mine after the firmware so never used it without it) so I have never experienced a problem. No need to tell you the 16th sensor is worth the upgrade since you know from the E-M1.

elandel

Mu-43 All-Pro
Do you have a viewfinder for your E-P3? Do you use it? Did you like having it on the E-M1?

It you answer yes to these get an E-M10. If not get an E-P5 or maybe the soon to be released E-PL7. But at least wait the next few weeks as the release should impact prices.

Yes shutter shock was probably overblown (got mine after the firmware so never used it without it) so I have never experienced a problem. No need to tell you the 16th sensor is worth the upgrade since you know from the E-M1.

Yes I have the VF-4 but not always use it. I use it with longer focal lengths. I'll wait.

davidzvi

Real Name
David
Yes I have the VF-4 but not always use it. I use it with longer focal lengths. I'll wait.

If you are interested in the E-M10 the current 15% off at Olympus for reconditioned kits puts them under $550 before tax and shipping (standard shipping is free).

Leif

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Leif
Personally I would definitely prefer the E-M10, but this depends so much on personal taste and both are great cameras.

I don't know where you're from, but in some European countries Olympus has a "Test & WOW" campaign where you can rent them for free for about 3 days to try them out. (you can switch the language / country in the top right corner)
https://wow.olympus.eu/DE_de/how-does-it-work.html

D

Deleted member 20897

If you didn't like the EM1, then you'll most likely not like the EM10 either.

If the PEN series is what makes you happy, then the EP5 is a great choice.

elandel

Mu-43 All-Pro
I'm from Italy where it would be too good to be true if Oly has try and buy. Usually here it's "buy and test at your own risk"

kingduct

Mu-43 Veteran
Have you considered just getting a snazzy new lens? I only suggest it because you've already found yourself repeatedly rejecting other cameras in favor of the one you have. You could invest in a nice lens, skip this generation of bodies, and get a new body in a year or two.

elandel

Mu-43 All-Pro
Have you considered just getting a snazzy new lens? I only suggest it because you've already found yourself repeatedly rejecting other cameras in favor of the one you have. You could invest in a nice lens, skip this generation of bodies, and get a new body in a year or two.

I already have all the lens I nead.

Swandy

Mu-43 Veteran
You don't say what you did not love about the EM1. If it was the size/weight/bulk, then you might like the EM10 (I know I do). If it was because you rarely used the EVF, then the upgraded Pen would probably be better suited for you.
And yes, the IBIS on the EP5 is the 5-Axis and it is great. (But then again I have the 3-Axis version on the EM10 and after having the EM5 and the EP5 I don't think that my photos have suffered from the missing two axises.)

elandel

Mu-43 All-Pro
You don't say what you did not love about the EM1. If it was the size/weight/bulk, then you might like the EM10 (I know I do). If it was because you rarely used the EVF, then the upgraded Pen would probably be better suited for you.
And yes, the IBIS on the EP5 is the 5-Axis and it is great. (But then again I have the 3-Axis version on the EM10 and after having the EM5 and the EP5 I don't think that my photos have suffered from the missing two axises.)

I always asked myself the same question and could not give a lst of things I did not like. It's a matter of feeling with something so my only answer is I did not bond with it. This doesn't mean its not an excellent piece of kit: it just didn't feel right for ME.

zensu

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Bobby
I had the same problem with my E-M5 but I loved it at first. I was annoyed by a couple of things about the camera but I acquired a refurbished E-P5 and it fit my hands like a glove. Everything about the E-P5 just fits me too a tee, the button layout, the way it handles, and the fantastic images it produces. I sold my E-M5 to get better glass and I do not regret it one bit. I'm in my 60's and from the way the E-P5 is configured I think this will probably be the last digital camera I own. Unless, of course, I buy another as a backup!
PS, I must admit one fault. The E-P5 needs a grip, but there are many third party grips that are available or you can always fabricate your own.

elandel

Mu-43 All-Pro
I had the same problem with my E-M5 but I loved it at first. I was annoyed by a couple of things about the camera but I acquired a refurbished E-P5 and it fit my hands like a glove. Everything about the E-P5 just fits me too a tee, the button layout, the way it handles, and the fantastic images it produces. I sold my E-M5 to get better glass and I do not regret it one bit. I'm in my 60's and from the way the E-P5 is configured I think this will probably be the last digital camera I own. Unless, of course, I buy another as a backup!
PS, I must admit one fault. The E-P5 needs a grip, but there are many third party grips that are available or you can always fabricate your own.

Yes I agree with you. You got the point and said it better than me but its exactly how I felt.

emmef2

Mu-43 Regular
From what you wrote I guess the E-P5 would suit you a bit better than the E-M10 since the E-M10 has a design similar to the E-M1 and you already have the VF-4 that is better than the EVF in the E-M10.
E-P5 shutter shock is totally solved after the firmware upgrade and I can tell the camera has really high performance
The IS works very well and visibly better on slow speeds than the the two axis on my E-PL2, I dont have the E-M10 so I cant comment about its IS
The VF-4 works perfectly with the E-P5 while adding a bit of bulk

elandel

Mu-43 All-Pro
From what you wrote I guess the E-P5 would suit you a bit better than the E-M10 since the E-M10 has a design similar to the E-M1 and you already have the VF-4 that is better than the EVF in the E-M10.
E-P5 shutter shock is totally solved after the firmware upgrade and I can tell the camera has really high performance
The IS works very well and visibly better on slow speeds than the the two axis on my E-PL2, I dont have the E-M10 so I cant comment about its IS
The VF-4 works perfectly with the E-P5 while adding a bit of bulk

The VF-4 is very good

Latest threads

Top Bottom