1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

upgrading from E-M10 to E-M1

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Noise, May 17, 2015.

1. Noise

Noise New to Mu-43

May 17, 2015
    Hi everybody. I registered to the forums to ask you a question that is bothering me right now. I currently own E-M10 with a set of lenses. I have M.zuiko 25mm/f1.8, 45mm/f1.8, 40-150mm f4-5.6 and 75-300.
    My alltime favorite has been the 45mm but I also enjoy shooting with tele-lenses. Subjects change from friends and family to dogs and birds. Usually the subjects are fast moving and since I live in Northern Europe there is very little natural light available trough the winter time.
    Anyway I own the little brother of OMD family and I've been very happy with it most of the time. Only problems have been the focusing speed and accuracy specially in dim lightning and when using the AF-C with or without tracking. I found a deal for new E-M1 for 899€ including the battery grip (normal retail here is 1299€).
    Now even thought the deal sounds awesome I have a little doubt if this is going to have any positive effect on my photography. Please could you help me deciding whether the E-M1 is going to blow my mind with the phase detection in tracking mode compared to contrast detection in E-M10.

Or would there be more sense in waiting for new models from Olympus/Panasonic? Or are the prices going down the drain in the summer? What do you think? Thanks.

2. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    System focus speed depends on both camera body and lens characteristics. AF speed is greatly effected by how fast a lens can change focus, and this is greatly dependent on the lens' focus motor. I either have, or have had, all the lenses you have and they don't focus all that fast. A lens like the 12-40/2.8 on either the E-M10 or E-M1 is much faster to focus than the long zooms you have. I've found the 70-300 and the Panasonic 45-175 to not be particularly fast on my E-M1 with the latest firmware. Even the 75/1.8 is much faster.

3. Noise

Noise New to Mu-43

May 17, 2015
    Well for the lens speed I cannot do anything. Mainly Im interested if I can pinch some time from the contrast hunting or is it waste of money. There are only few lightning fast lenses but having everything is a matter of big bag of money. If I can update the level of focusing speed in all lenses by changing the body it might be worth it. I only use m.zuikos for the moment.

4. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    If you actually have problems with AF-C then the E-M1 should improve on that, I've seen a few threads talking very well of the latest firmware improvements. With the E-M1 you obviously get the 5-axis ibis too and a bigger EVF, weather sealing, ergonomics, etc.

Do you really need AF-C? I've seen sport pictures on this site shot with the E-M5 and AF-S or pre-focus. For really fast distance changes you need a fast AF lens even with PDAF. And a faster lenses can also have more light to work with (I'm thinking about the 40-150/2.8 discussed here).

Regarding the price I've just seen an 876 euro offer in Italy and several at 908 on ebay (gray market?). And a 793 euro in UK! So probably there is no need to hurry as I think that prices at this point are only going down.

Personally I'm waiting for the next E-M1 but then the launch price will be high. But if you are clearly loosing shots on several occasions for AF limits could be worth to get it now: you pay more but you also use it for more time.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Noise

Noise New to Mu-43

May 17, 2015
    ...clearly loosing shot... Now that's the tricky part. I do lose shots because of the hunting focus. But every time I buy something new I build up unrealistic expectations which in this case would be that by getting the new body I will lose significantly less shots. Now whether this is the case I cannot be sure since I do not have experience about the phase detection focus. Is the mark II rumored to be released anytime soon?

6. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    You could try to use only S-AF with quick bursts (2 or three frames) and refocus between.
    All of my older m4/3rds cameras give a much better hit rate when C-AF is not used.
    Luckily I never got used to a competent C-AF DSLR so there was no unlearning.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    How much did you practiced with different modes to find what works best in different situations? AF-S, burst mode, pre-focus, smaller aperture, C-AF, Release Priority C = off, etc.? If the weak link is tecnique or the lens the E-M1 won't do miracles (no offense meant).

Which kind of shots do you loose more: subject moving towards you? Side movement? Panning?

Mark II, my estimate based on rumors, is end 2016/spring 2017.

8. Noise

Noise New to Mu-43

May 17, 2015
    You are totally right that it might be my skills. I got the E-M10 on release day and I've shot about 5000 shots with it. A lot of them are crap but I've managed to shoot some quite good ones also.
    This is the thing about my expectations as I mentioned since I usually expect technical modernization to overcome my own flaws. I'm aware of that but I still seek the easiest way out.
    With dogs the movement is usually towards me as I call them. With birds I aim to vertical movement as its the most predictable. With humans I manage with AF-S as they tend to stay stationary at some point.

9. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    The low AF speed of the lenses constrains the system AF speed. The lowest performing part of a system sets the upper performance limit of that system. Waste of money.

10. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Strange, I found the 45-175 to be way better on the E-M1 v3 than my old E-M5 - I'm getting 9 FPS PDAF C-AF in good light. There is certainly a slowdown when the light gets poor compared to fast wide aperture lenses, but I wouldn't call them uselessly slow either.

11. damianmkv

damianmkv Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 7, 2014
    Surrey, England
    i used to have the e-m10 and now i have the e-m1. Refering back to the opening post, yes its better at tracking but its not DSLR-like. That said, C-AF with TR is still average in my experience - its much better in just C-AF and either Hi or Lo mode depending on the needs of the shot.

12. Noise

Noise New to Mu-43

May 17, 2015
    I first cancelled the order but then gave up to my desire and ordered the E-M1 again. I've been shooting with it since Tuesday and may I say it is truly awesome camera. The c-af is really a lot faster with the same lenses. I did nail a lot more bird shots with it as I went to try it out. Even though my technique may not be the most sophisticated the speed did help out alot. Also the buttons are better suited for my hands. The HLD7 grip feels good with larger lenses. It might be a placebo effect but I feel the S-AF does nail it better in dim light.. but I could be just imagining. Also the shutter feels more pleasant and "snappier". Just love it. I would predict shooting dogs is going to be a blast (since they are bigger and slower than birds).

13. SkiHound

SkiHound Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2012
    I'm late here and of no help in your decision. I have an E-M5 and recently purchased a used E-M1. I haven't use a dSLR with a good focusing system so can't compare. I like to take pictures of our dogs out running and darting. I used the short quick burst with SAF someone described above. And if you can pre-focus that works fine, but that's not useable with darting dogs. The E-M1 with firmware 3.0 has vastly better CAF. I think it works pretty well in decent light and I've used it some with the cheapo 40-150 f/4-5.6.