Upgrading from an Oly E-PM1

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by lrlebron, Jul 10, 2013.

1. lrlebron

lrlebron Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 8, 2013
    Huntsville, AL
    Luis R. Lebron
    I currently have an Oly E-PM1 with the 14-42 and 40-150 Oly lenses which I enjoy. However, I miss having an EVF. I could buy a VF-2 or a VF-3 to solve that issue but would have to swap it with the flash when I need some additional light (Which is quite often)

So rather than spend money on an EVF I think I would rather get a Lumix DMC-G5. The price with the kit lens is barely more that the VF-2 and there is a lot to like in this camera.

My only concern is the lack of IBIS. I think I may have some trouble using the 40-150 without stabilization. On the other hand I find that I can a camera more firmly using an EVF than using an LCD.

Can you share your experiences of using the Oly lenses on a Lumix body? Do you really need IBIS for something like the Oly 45mm?

BTW, I would love to get the OMD EM5 but I cannot afford it.

Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.

2. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    You would probably be better off selling the Oly lens and buying a 45-150. In bright lighting you'll be fine but anything else you'll need a tripod.
  3. madmaxmedia

madmaxmedia Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2010
    I would spend a day shooting your current set up with IBIS disabled.

Whether IBIS is needed or merely helpful with the Oly 45 will depend on your shooting preferences and needs. If you're shooting people a lot then you can't go too slow with shutter speed, even with IBIS. I think if you do some trials with the zoom at ~45mm, you will see what minimum shutter speed you need to get sharp shots.

I think IBIS is always nice, although I used to shoot a Canon DRebel a lot with the 50mm f/1.8 and did fine with that combo. Obviously both are faster than your 40-150mm, so that will buy you some latitude.
  4. lrlebron

lrlebron Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 8, 2013
    Huntsville, AL
    Luis R. Lebron

Thanks for the comment. I may look at getting the 2 lens kit and selling the oly later.

I shot film cameras for many years without IS. So it is possible to do it. Having said that I was reviewing some pictures I took with the 40-150 and was amazed at the slow shutter speeds I was able to use it with the help of IBIS.
  5. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2013
    Oahu, gathering place of many cars
    Peter Gunn
    If you're shooting near to wide open with fast primes IBIS won't make any difference save for really poor light. But I'd sure miss it with a slow zoom at F4 or 5.6.

One thing to consider is Olympus just released a new EVF, the VF-4, replacing the VF-2 as the top dog EVF. The VF-2 is still a great viewfinder will probably take a big price dive over the next few months.