Upgrading from a GF2, need some advice

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by CaptainToss, Oct 16, 2013.

1. CaptainToss

CaptainToss New to Mu-43

Oct 16, 2013

So I've been using a Panasonic GF2 for the last two years, and I think it's time to move on. I'm generally happy with the photos it takes, but a couple of things about it are irking me.

The main gripe I have is the interface - having to use a resistive touch-screen to access most of the camera's functions is a nightmare and I'd be quite happy to go back to having loads of buttons/switches/knobs instead.

The other main issue is that I'd like to do more video stuff, but the GF2 isn't great for it. It gives me control over absolutely nothing but the auto-focus point, and often decides it won't record for more than ten minutes at a time even when there's plenty of space on the SD card.

Aside from that, it'd also be nice to upgrade to something that doesn't suffer so much in low-light/high-ISO conditions.

Any thoughts? My budget isn't huge, but I'll most likely be keeping hold of my 14-42mm kit lens and 14mm f/2.5 pancake and just getting a new body while selling the GF2 on.

2. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    What is your budget? That's pretty much the first thing we need to know. The GX7 would met all your needs perfectly, but it's certainly not cheap.

Do you care about rangefinder style vs. DLSR style? New vs. Used? The GH2 will provide better IQ for stills, and dramatically better video capabilities. Better low-light capability, too, though not as good as the best of today's cameras.

In between, the G5 and GX1 are pretty darn cheap by now, and will provide better stills and video than the GF2. Much better controls than the GF, but not as good as the GH2.

I'm not as knowledgeable about the Oly cameras, but all of the Pens before the EPL5, EP5 and EPM2 use the same sensor as the GF2. (And I'm not sure which sensor the EPM2 uses). The newer Olys probably are fine for the typical home video, but wouldn't be a match for the GH2 if you really want to get serious.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. brianb032

brianb032 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2011
    The GH2 was the first camera that popped up in my head as soon as I saw that the OP wanted more controls, a better interface, and all at a somewhat affordable price. If you dig around you could grab one for $450'ish. But if you're after something newer than I would definitely take a look at the G6. It's tough to keep the form-factor in congruence with your GF2 without shelling out some serious money for the GX7 though.
  4. CaptainToss

CaptainToss New to Mu-43

Oct 16, 2013
    Cheers for the help, guys. Not too fussed about retaining the GF2's form-factor, so it looks like the GH2 could be the way to go. Struggling to find a cheap one, though - I'm in the UK and it looks like I'll be paying £400+ for a used one! So, I may yet settle for the GX1. I'll keep an eye out and see what comes along.

Thanks again!
  5. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    GX1 is nothing to "settle" for, it's a wonderful camera. Still a resistive touch screen, but I never use it, as there are neough of those buttons/knobs you mentioned to do everything I need to do.