Upgrading body from a G3, your input please

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by gt7599a, Jun 1, 2014.

1. gt7599a

gt7599a Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 31, 2012
    In Jan 2013 I jumped in to mu43 with a Pani G3 and the Pani 12-35 f2.8 coming from Canon with a reasonably nice kit. (Canon 10-22, 70-200 f2.8 IS mk1, 20d, 550d)
    The camera filled a hole a hole in my kit and fit with the new life stage (becoming a father of a small child, need a smaller lighter kit, etc) and has become my main camera.

I'm planning to sell the Canon stuff and have money set aside for the Olympus 40-150 f/2.8 when it comes out. I miss certain things about my Canons and the UI on the G3 isn't as smooth or customizable as I like.

Goal for this body purchase:
    • Restore the speed of use of my Canon cameras, specifically controlling focusing & metering with separate buttons. (by speed of use I'm referring to my ability to make the camera do what I want it to with minimal button pressing not specifically the speed of focusing etc)
    • IBIS
    • Move to 2 camera set up

Key Criteria
    • Built In EVF
    • In Body Image Stabilization, preferably 5 axis
    • Focus Peaking
    • Able to separate buttons for Focus & Metering & they're easily usable
    • Better UI, Software
    • Buttons better placed
    • Good grip
      [/INDENT]

Would love to hear your suggestions.

2. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    You have 3 options depending on what you want to pay the Oly EMd's EM-1 EM-5 Em-10, All are well reviewed received just depends on the other things you want it to do.

3. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I'd recommend the EM10. Inexpensive way to get a very full feature set and IBIS. Alternatively the GX7 is very nice, but higher cost. Or you can find the EM5 used for very good prices these days, which would get you the 5-axis IBIS. That's well worth looking at.