Upgrade to OMD or invest on some lenses?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by rezatravilla, Aug 28, 2013.

1. rezatravilla

rezatravilla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Reza Travilla
    Hi all,

recently i won photography competition in my country, Indonesia. I've won about US$1100.

I know with this money i can upgrade my gear from Olympus EPL2 to OMD. But i need your honest opinion:

Does OMD's color so different than EPL2? i think EPL2's color is quite fantastic though.

If not so different, i will invest in some zuiko's lenses. Prefer prime lens like 45mm. Zoom lens maybe 40-150mm.

Kindly need your advise all. Thanks:2thumbs:
  2. nathan_h

nathan_h Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2013

Congrats on winning the contest! Can you post the winning photo(s)? It would be fun to see them.

Now, to your question:

I say this as a former EPM2 owner and a current OMD owner: For me the biggest factor with loving the OMD are the ease of accessing manual control over the elements of my shooting that the dials and touch screen controls allow me.

Will the sensor and image stabilization be a nice upgrade over what you are shooting with today? Yes. Will it be more of an impact that better glass? My opinion is "no". If I had to choose, and I was comfortable with the controls on the EPL2, I'd be more inclined to invest in lenses (and/or a good tripod, if it suited my shooting style).

What lenses do you already have? What do you use the most? What is your shooting style? That will probably help people give you advice.
  3. migs

migs Mu-43 Regular

Dec 24, 2012
  4. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    It sounds like you are doing just fine with what you have!

The color output is very much the same between the two imo. If that is your main concern and you like the E-PL2 I would think new lenses are the way to go. The 45/1.8 is one of my favorites. I also like the Panasonic 14/2.5. Both are nice, compact options on the E-PL2.
  5. rezatravilla

Aug 7, 2013
    Reza Travilla
    I would loved to share it but hmmm after i received the reward, i signed a contract. So it's like the sponsor bought my photo.

I see :thumbup: i will invest on lens then. Hehehe i only have the 14-42mm.

OKAY!! :2thumbs:

hahahaha thanks demiro. Actually the kit lens is quite outstanding and the competition that i won is architecture's category. So no need such powerful bokeh lens.

Yeps 45mm f1.8 is on my radar hahaha. In Indonesia, most of the competitions usually model and fashion. Samyang fisheyes also in my radar too.

i think with about US1,000 will be enough to buy these lenses.
  6. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
  7. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Used em-5 and used O45 1.8! Best of two things. And 1100usd would do it.
  8. nathan_h

nathan_h Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2013
    Definitely agree, if the other choice is a new body.

There is a saying, that I don't quite live up to:

Amateurs buy camera (bodies).
    Professionals buy lenses.
    Photographers (artists?) buy tripods.

So if your shooting style is landscape or architecture, consider a good tripod at some point, too. Long exposures, great depth of field, etc, can be powerful and a stable base is key.
  9. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    I'd get lenses or lights. Maybe a portrait lens and a quantum flash, instead of two lenses. Especially considering the age of your body, a good light will keep you at a good low iso.
  10. blotto

blotto Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2011
    Houston, TX
    I went from an E-PL1 to an E-M5 and at the time was in the same predicament you find yourself now, I had the kit lens and the 20mm. I opted for the E-M5 w/12-50mm instead of a new lens and could not be happier with my decision, it has made shooting much more enjoyable, not that i didn't enjoy it before, because I did.

It's a tough decision. The rumored 12-40mm lens sounds pretty good. Or i like the idea of a used OMD and a used 45mm. Whichever you choose you really can't go wrong.
  11. Mix

Mix Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2013
    Lenses! :smile:
  12. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    I'm with the glass crowd here too. Before I got my E-PL5 I purchased quite a bit of glass. Made my E-PL2 seem almost like a new camera! :smile:
  13. Mikros

Mikros Mu-43 Regular

Jul 16, 2013
    That's exactly what I did.

(Thanks to Bhupinder23 :drinks:)

Selling my GX1 and O14-42 MkI + LVF2 to recoup around half of the cost.

EM-5 and O45/1.8 - awesome. :2thumbs:
  14. gugarci

gugarci Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    Lyndhurst, NJ
    Lenses first unless you shoot mainly at high ISO's.
  15. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I went from E-P1 to E-M5 and it seemed like the thing to do at the time. Now I see that was just GAS winning and I really should have invested in a lens (although I'm still not sure which lens).

I already have tripods and lots of lights ...
  16. JYPfoto

JYPfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2013
    Which lens are you most interested in? No reason you can't pick up a prime and try and snag a good deal on a 2nd hand EM-5. And then either keep your existing body as a backup, sell it, or give to a less fortunate photographer to enjoy.
  17. rezatravilla

Aug 7, 2013
    Reza Travilla
    i'm thinking of 45mm since i mostly take portrait and 12mm for landscape. But yeah EM-5 also tempting! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
  18. BLT

BLT Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2013
    One point to remember is that Glass holds it's value much better than a camera body.

If you buy an E-M5 today and then switch to Fuji in 2 years time, your E-M5 will be worth less than half what you paid.
    If you buy the Pana25, Oly12, Oly75 etc . . they will be worth most of what you paid for them in a coulpe of years time!

Personally (as a hobbyist) I won't spend more than £350 on a body. I am waiting another year or so for the E-M5 to fall that far in price, which I have no doubt it will.
  19. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    I agree - look at the prices for an E-P3, they've dropped dramatically. Invest in glass and wait for the prices to come down. :cool:
  20. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Maybe a 45 and a used E-PL5? New sensor and nice lens. I did this last year and it was an awesome combo.