1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

upgrade to OMD E-5 or get a get new upper end lense?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by pood, Aug 27, 2012.

1. pood

pood Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 27, 2012
    I've been using a EPL1 the last couple years (from using 20d for years).

I currently have the 9-18,45-200, and the stock 14-42.

I'm thinking about buying the 45mm f/2.8, but now I think maybe I should get a new camera before investing in a $800 lens?

What do you guys think?

2. cputeq

cputeq Mu-43 Regular

Jul 27, 2012
    Albuquerque, NM
    Jeremy
    Two wildly different outcomes ;)

What about your EPL1 do you not like, and why do you need the 45 2.8?

Then, which of these sides is more important to you? Question answered ;)

3. a_foolishman

a_foolishman Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2012
    Kelly Graham
    In my opinion it's always best to get better glass first because new glass opens up new possibilities where a new body only preforms slightly bettter at old possibilities.

4. dave92029

dave92029 Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2010
    Escondido, CA
    What can't you do now?

I just ordered a E-M5 because of the slow shutter / focus response of my E-PL2.
    When shooting stationery items the E-PL2 is a delight, but too many things around me move... Even flowers in the wind.

There are other features that also appealed to me but the slow focus, shutter response is my primary motivation.

I'm happy using the mcon-p01 macro lens converter on both my 14-42mm & 40-150mm lens.

There is no inexpensive fix for slow focus an shutter except getting a new body.

I agree with the previous poster about investing in your cameras glass first, but...

5. cmpatti

cmpatti Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Berkeley, CA
    I don't think these rules of thumb work very well in the abstract and divorced from context. In your case, one could say that the new glass doesn't open many new possibilities (you've already got a 45mm lens, etc.) whereas the OMD would open lots of new possibilities (lower light photography at all your current focal lengths, better action photography, lower hand-held shutter speeds, new camera angles as a result of the tilting screen, etc.). Personally, I'd upgrade the body.

6. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    cmpatti has made excellant points.

I can sorta figure out why you would want a PL-45 ... why do you want a new camera? The thing about a lens, especially a macro, is that it will allow you to get images you wouldn't be able to get without the lens.

The thing about the camera is that a camera will affect every image you take.

Good Luck,
    Gary

7. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    I do agree with you about the body aspect. I think the high ISO performance, higher shutter speed (1/4000), EVF, improved IBIS, better controls, better screen etc. would bring a new level of control and performance over your EPL-1. The EM-5 does every thing better than the EPL-1, only at the cost of being more $, heavier, larger, and no mic jack.

However if he is looking at the PL45, that has really no comparison to the 45-200 other than short end focal length. It opens up a totally new level of sharpness (the highest next to the Oly 75mm) and 1:1 macro focusing.

While I would lean towards the EM-5 given the chance but there is probably some reasoning behind that lens choice.

8. wildwildwes

wildwildwes Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    If it were me, I'd opt to get the OM-D first. You've got a decent collection of lenses in your kit. The OM-D is truly a game changer and will afford you more in terms of performance prowess than a new lens...

9. pood

pood Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 27, 2012
    That is my exact reasoning for wanting to upgrade my body. The AF is slow as molasses and it's so grainy when I shoot anything over 600-800 ISO. I want to be able to shoot in lower light and still have crisp pictures.

If i had less self control, I think I'd get the new body and new lens (with the $150 off deal).

10. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    The OM-D will be a delight for you then. AF is blazing fast, high ISO is no problem. You don't have to wait around for the camera to do anything! I shot a bunch of 9fps burst this weekend and nailed many shots in the process. I shoot up to ISO 4000 in very low light with B&W pictures and I'm very happy. Find a slightly used one, they are popping up all over the place. Find a used Oly 45 later that isn't too expensive either.

11. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Get the OM-D, you will not regret the choice.

GA10025.
    ISO 3200

Sports
    P7260083-L.

P7100189-L.
    SAF is sports capable (not the best choice but capable)

P7080138-L.
    IBIS works extremely well
    [​IMG]
    1/8 @ 50mm

Gary

12. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    I kinda go the other way than everybody here. I absolutely love my 45mm f2.8 and you can find them around $525-$550 used on this board or others on a regular basis....don't spend $800. With the E-PL1 however, if you're going to use it for real macro work, you'll need an EVF as the LCD on the E-PL1 is crap....even at 15x magnify. Auto focus at 1:1 or 1:2....it works every once in awhile....but macro work almost always with manual focus.

13. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi
    I have been using EPL2 since very long and I have GX1 as well which is supposed to be faster than OMD but If I have to live with only one camera then that will be EPL2. FASter AF is not a very good reason to upgrade and I have shot thousands of flower shots with EPL2 and never had any troubles .
    Cheers
    Bhupinder