Upgrade to GX7 from a G2

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by bozer, Jan 22, 2014.

1. bozer

bozer Mu-43 Regular

Apr 4, 2013
    Hi all,

I have a G2 which has served me well for a while now but I've got the urge to upgrade to the GX7. Some questions I have:

Does the GX7 perform much better in low light? How about the WiFi, does it work well? I'd like to be able to take a picture and then have it on my iPhone right away.

Is there any reason I should just get the EM1 instead? I've been going back and forth on this but the price is a lot more for the EM1. I was interested in the EM1 mainly because I wanted something new to play with and I feel like going Olympus would be something new and fun to play with compared to the Gx7 which may not be that noticeably different.
  2. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    It performs well in low light. Although I usually use a tripod in those situations. I have used the wifi to upload directly to my iphone and to my ipad. Worked very well in both situations.

I have no idea about the EM1.
  3. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

My 2 cents ....

In its day the G2 was a very fine camera. The technology has advanced quite a bit since it was introduced, so the incremental change you will realize will probably be much greater than those of us who tend to upgrade more frequently. As far as stills, I'd put the GX7 right up there with the GH3. WiFi works OK, though I tend to shoot first and selectively send the photos I want to my phone or iPad - from there to social media or e-mail. I cannot comment on the Oly since I do not own or use one. Give the GX7 a chance and you will probably get addicted to it!