Upgrade to EM5?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by petroman, Dec 28, 2013.

1. petroman

petroman New to Mu-43

Oct 17, 2012
    Hello Folks,

Need some advice from the gurus (all you enthusiasts). I have been with the m43 for some time now but haven't upgraded to more expensive toys yet. Currently have an E-PL2 with kit lens, 40-150 and a prime (Pana 20mm) for indoors/kids. I was looking at the EM1 now but the price is pretty high as its new. I can get an EM5 for $760 (body only) and kit with 14-50 lens ($850). What would be your advice? If I decide on EM5, is the kit lens worth buying or should I just get the body only? Is there serious issue with the black color coming off of the body? The silver do look sharp and even better with black lenses....
    Or should I just wait and get EM1 a few month down.....? I was previously thinking of getting E-PL5/E-PM1 but then decided to just go with EM5....!

Would appreciate your help.

Cheers

Petroman

2. boostin

boostin Mu-43 Regular

Sep 21, 2013
    if you on budget go with e-pl5, if not you cant go wrong with e-m5 ...:2thumbs:

• Like Like x 1
  3. fdifulco

fdifulco Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 28, 2011
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Frank
    I did an upgrade from EP3 to EM5 way back when and it is a joy to use. I liked the silver body only for the classic look and stuck with the prime lens family for low light modes and great image quality over the kits lens. the EM5 may come down if the EM10 is released.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Gary Ramey

Gary Ramey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 27, 2012
    Aurora Colorado
    The EM5 is a great camera. I've had my silver body for a year, I'm gentle with it but not over protective. It is still in great shape. The Em5 and Em1 are relatively equal in image quality. The EM1 has a better build quality, the ability to focus 43 lenses better, and a better grip. I just purchased the EM1 for the wife and after messing with it, I'm saving for my own EM1.

• Like Like x 1
  5. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

If you've already got some lenses, I'd skip the 12-50 and just go for an E-M5 body. The lens is useful but not that spectacular. I wouldn't worry about black paint coming off either, it will chip off eventually in the corners due to use but no more than silver will. I got black as it was the only colour available at the time but I think silver looks better with all colours of lens.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Dch

Dch Mu-43 Regular

Nov 20, 2013
    I just got an E-M5 now that they are cheaper to replace my G3; love it. I'd say go for it.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Web-Betty

Web-Betty Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2013
    Denver
    MJ
    I got my pre-owned EM5 (to replace my EPL2) about 6 weeks ago and absolutely love it. I did keep the EPL2 as a second body--also a great decision. :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  8. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    The kit lens from your epl2 will work fine on the em5. Em5 will give you faster shutter speeds and better auto white balance indoors than the epl2 but outdoors it doesn't offer much. I actually prefer the landscape image quality my epl1 gives me outdoors. But if I am shooting outdoor sports the em5 wins because it offers rapid sequential shooting.

• Like Like x 1
  9. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Paul
    I love my EM-5 and it's far easier to use than my daughters EPL-3 or my wife's G3 but it did take me a few weeks to settle on the combination of functions for each button and wheel before I could use it without thinking or always referring to the SCP to change things.

However unlike some of the others, and even though I am primarily a "prime" person myself I would suggest the "kit with the 12-50" rather than the body alone.

Reasons?
    1. The IQ is better (on my copy anyway) than the two O14-42 and one P14-42's we have in the family.
    2. It's an inexpensive way of getting a 12mm POV (I find this difference significant compared to the wide end of the other kits and my P14mm) and the sharpness is pretty good at this end the zoom (it's weaker at 50mm).
    3. The "close focus" (it's not really true macro) is far better than you would expect given the cost of the lens as part of a kit. Many would not need a true macro lens if they had this lens.
    4. Last, but perhaps not least, is the weatherproofing and internal zoom. It's nice to have one lens with this to go with the body that you use when you need it without worrying about rain/snow/seawater etc.

Yes it's not the best lens in any one criteria. It's not the most compact, it's not the sharpest at the 42-50mm range, a true macro lens would give a closer view BUT it's surprisingly good in most and even though I may use my trio of primes i.e. P14, P25 (on way) and O45 most of the time the 12-50 will still have a place in my camera bag. Like the O40-150 it out performs it's price.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    I'd have to agree with Paul on this one.

The 12-50mm has never been my favorite lens, I've never "bonded" to it like I have the 20mm Panasonic. That being said if the weather is inclement or threatening it's the "go to" lens in the kit.

If you take the kids to a water park or lake or out into the snow the 12-50mm is a nice option with the E-M5, especially at the price that you quote.

I took mine on vacation this year (even though I was keeping gear to a minimum) and used it on a winery tour when unexpected rains blew in off of the local lake.

I quite like my E-M5; I have the EPL-1 as well but it rarely gets off of the shelf.

Edit: Forgot to add blurb on black/silver - my E-M5 is black because silver wasn't in stock when I purchased it and I have the patience of a flea :biggrin:. After 18 months there's no sign of wear. I don't know the shutter count but the "carry count" is high :thumbup:.

Regards,

Jim

• Like Like x 2