1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Upgrade to E-M5 or new lens?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Kelton, May 17, 2013.

1. Kelton

Kelton Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    Hey all,

I currently have an E-PM1 with a VF-2 and my lens include the kit lens, P20, and Oly 45. I'm not sure if I should sell both and upgrade to a E-M5, get the Oly 75mm, or sell my 20mm and fund a PL25... My budget is $700. The 75mm is a great lens but my only problem is that its pretty long and I don't know how much I would use it. I really like the look that the 25mm gives and it would focus a lot better than the 20mm. I've missed too many shots while the 20mm had to take its sweet time to focus. I'm experiencing focusing problems using the 20mm and the FL-36 in low light conditions with the E-PM1. Would anyone know why that is?

Any suggestions would help! Thanks :smile:

Kelton

2. wildwildwes

wildwildwes Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    If it were me, i'd keep the Pany 20 & the Oly 45 and look for a used OM-D (since your budget is limited to $700). The OM-D's sensor is a significant improvement over the aging sensor in your E-PM1. Opting instead to buy the PL25 or OLY 75 only to use it on the E-PM1 seems like it would be putting the cart in front of the horse (or, pick your own applicable wise-crack saying!) :happy-084:

3. Kelton

Kelton Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    I was thinking the same thing. The E-PM1 is a great camera but the sensor is a little older and I really like the features of the OM-D. The 5 axis IBIS is probably what I like the most and the integrated EVF. I really like the 75mm but I don't use the 45mm as much as I thought I would and so the 75 probably wouldn't make much sense to get...

4. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    I agree with Wes. The upgrade from EPM1 to EM5 is fantastic. The new sensor is wonderful, handling is sooo much better. It will bring new life to those great lenses you've got. :biggrin:

--
    Sent from my phone. Please pardon my brevity!

5. abepak

abepak Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2013
    SFV, CA
    This might seem like self promotion (since I'm trying to sell my OM-D on here) so take it with a grain of salt :)... get the OM-D. The lenses that you have (20 and the 45) are both great lenses in terms of image quality.

The 75mm is a fantastic lens. And I loved it when I got a chance to test it. With that said, it's at an odd focal length and I knew that it would be too long for me to use frequently enough to justify spending $800 on. The better sensor and the IBIS would probably open up more options for you than buying new lens. If you were using kit lens, I would've recommended buying lens instead.

6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I'd get the 75mm if you want to expand your horizons!

7. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Keep the lenses, and upgrade the EPM1, but why not to the EPM2? That way maybe you can afford to keep the lenses?

8. Darthpnoy88

Darthpnoy88 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 27, 2012
    California
    Keep the lenses and go for refurbished E-M5 I did it personally myself when I had the 14mm and 45 and added the 17mm f1.8 as travel lens and 14mm staying in the E-PM1