1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Upgrade to E-M1 from E-M10?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Klorenzo, Jan 30, 2016.

1. Yes, just do it!

17 vote(s)
    47.2%
  2. No, it's just GAS, it's not the camera that takes pictures

4 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. Wait to see the E-M1 mk2...and then wait for the price to drop... :(

13 vote(s)
    36.1%
  4. Upgrade to another model

1 vote(s)
    2.8%
  5. Whatever, it's raining here, I do not care...

2 vote(s)
    5.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    Ok, I've seen an E-M1, new, for 650 euro. Wow. I decided that I wanted to keep the E-M10 as long as possible, I got it almost two years ago. But now these offers are tempting and I could sell the E-M10 to upgrade.

Pro E-M1:
    - everything
    - in particular for me: better IBIS, weather sealing, PDAF (unlocking the 50-200 or the 150), better grip

Pro E-M10
    - smaller size
    - save some money

Why not? Because it is almost the same tech, my pictures won't get any better (except the many blurry ones) and I do not really want to invest in big lenses because I got into m43 for smaller size. But when I consider the lenses too (12-40, 75-300, etc.) the size difference in the body seems like the last problem.

Any thoughts?

2. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    If you found the great deal, then go for it. I did same upgrade almost a year ago and never looked back.
    Sure, mark I prices will drop rapidly after mark II announcement, but that may not happen before summer or fall 2016.
    Shop for 2 years extended warranty too.

3. Indianpeaksjoe

Indianpeaksjoe Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 1, 2012
    Colorado
    I upgraded from the EM5 to the EM1 and the difference was amazing from the first shot. The AF is so much better, plus I like the form factor more.

YMMV.
    -Joe

• Like Like x 1
  4. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The E-M10 does have slightly better long exposure noise control. The EVF in the E-M1 is much nicer though, I could never judge critical focus with the one in the E-M5/E-M10 Mk1s. Don't forget the E-M1 has 1/8000s shutter + 1/16000s electronic shutter, you basically don't need NDs for fast primes anymore unless you're using flash during the day. If you're already using a 12-40 you won't really notice the difference in size/weight, if anything it will handle better.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. robcee

robcee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2016
    Toronto
    Rob Campbell
    like @budeny@budeny says, there'll probably be an EM1mkII announcement later this year – my money's on September with wider availability later in the year, say, November-December. Realistically, with demand, that means most people won't be able to get their hands on one until sometime in 2017. That's a year from now.

If you're happy enough with your current camera, hang onto it for as long as you can. If you think the EM1 would help, take the upgrade.

+1 to @wjiang@wjiang's comments too. The EVF is lightyears beyond what's in the EM10/EM5mk1. Was a huge factor in my own upgrade decision 2 years ago. Manual focus with the EVF works very well.

hth!

6. Raptor7

Raptor7 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 21, 2014
    Madrid, Spain
    Just do it. I did it five months ago and it was an amazing change.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    I made the change 2 months ago and especially enjoy the improved handling. The individual controls for HDR and metering are nice, too. I still have the E-M10 as a backup or to use as a second body - my wife shoots with it most of the time.
    The slightly larger body with a proper grip is terrific, especially since I have two of the bulkier/heavier Pro lenses. The E-M1's viewfinder is much better and the 5 axis stabilization is a moderate advantage over the E-M10's 3 axis.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Diamondback

Diamondback Mu-43 Regular

Oct 4, 2015
    PA, USA
    Mark
    Another vote for go ahead and upgrade. I did 4 months ago and am still enjoying shooting with both the E-M1 and E-M10. I use the latter when I need a very small kit with my 25mm prime. I turn to the E-M1 when I use some of my larger/heavier lenses like the 40-150mm 2.8 because of its better grip and 5 axis IBIS.

9. SkiHound

SkiHound Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2012
    I have and use both bodies. I think the ergonomics of the E-M1 are just terrific. The camera almost holds itself. Lots of external controls, very customizable, a pleasure to use. I bought the E-M1 used after firmware 3 was released primarily for the CAF. I like to take photos of running dogs and CAF in the M5 or M10 just wasn't really useable. The M1 is also much more comfortable when using larger lenses, even lenses like the 12-40 f/2.8. That said, I use my E-M10 as much or more. With a couple of small primes it's just a terrific traveling companion, it's less conspicuous on the street, etc. I can even slip an ungripped E-M10 with a 17 or 45 into a ski jacket pocket. I'd say for me it's become a situation in which I'll take the M1 when I go out to do photography, when I'm using larger lenses, or when I know I'm going to want to be using CAF. The M10 and a prime or two go with me when I just want to have a camera handy or when I'm walking around on the street. No meaningful IQ differences. The weight, grip, and better IBIS does make the M1 a better choice when trying to hand hold with slow shutter speeds, but the 3-axis in the M10 is pretty good. I'd also say that overall the E-M1 just feels faster.

• Like Like x 1
  10. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I've had the E-M10, E-M1, E-M10mkII (briefly), and E-M5mkII. The controls of the E-M1 are great, but at the time I also had the E-P5 and sold both for the E-M10. Why? The E-M1 had many features I never really used and it was contrary to one of the primary reason I got into m4/3, size. I found I wanted the EVF that the E-P5 lacked, but I preferred the smaller size. So E-M10 was the answer, I did add the grip for the times I used longer glass, but I did prefer the body grip-less.

Why do I now have the E-M5mkII? I took a trip through Panasonic bodies but found I prefer the Olympus options. And my preferences for smaller stuff may be colored by the fact I have a complete Nikon FX system.

11. Sniksekk

Sniksekk Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2015
    Do it if you can afford it without loosing sleep.
    Did the same thing last summer.
    Never regretted.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

This is going to sound odd but I suggest really thinking about it first. I "upgraded" from my EM5 to the EM1 awhile back. As it turned out, I am glad I did not sell the M5 as I am still not completely comfortable with the M1. It has a lot of features and new functions but I honestly don't see that I am getting better images. I haven't found a use for many of the new features and just am more comfortable in some situations with the trusty EM5. In particular it seems I get far better flash photos with the older camera. That may be because I just haven't gotten all the necessary settings and compensations worked out on the M1 yet but I still find myself grabbing the M5 when I will be working indoors. I rarely have to think much with the M5 about settings and how it will act and react in various situations. I am not there yet with the M1.

This all probably says more about me than it does the camera but I am getting on in years and just don't have the patience to quickly climb the learning curve of the more complex EM1. As time goes on, I'll get it sorted out and use the M1 exclusively, keeping the M5 as a back-up, but for now I keep two camera bags packed. The M1 for landscapes and nature with 12mm, 17mm and 25mm primes, 60mm Macro, and the 9-18mm and 40-150mm zooms. The other bag has the M5 with the 12-40mm, my portrait lenses and flash gear for "indoor people shooting." Kinda sucks!

My point here is to suggest you really consider which of the added features and functions of the M1 you will really use before replacing the very good M10. A professional probably needs those features. Some of the rest of us, even part-time semi-pros like me, may not.

13. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    Thanks for you replies. How much does it is bigger in practice? I just went out with the E-M10 + P20 in the winter jacket pocket. Except for the weight, it was almost not there. Could I do the same with the E-M1? The E-M10 with P20 + O60 fits in a 20x13x6 cm waist bag. Does anybody does something like this with the E-M1?

14. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
  15. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Good news and bad news.

The Good: The 20mm will still stick out further than the E-M1 grip.
    The Bad: But the E-M1 is +1cm longer and wider than the E-M10. And the since the hot shoe stick out a little it will be more likely to catch on things in pockets and small bags.

16. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

It would be a real challenge to get it in that bag.

17. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    This poll is missng a box which mentions that in terms of image quality you might be heading for a sidegrade or even a downgrade on long exposures.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

From experience it's fine for exposures shorter than 1 minute but gets noticeable after that. Unless you're using heavy NDs or doing deep field astrophotography with a tracking mount it probably won't be a big deal.

19. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I will certainly pick up a second-hand E-M1 when they are old and cheap : it is probably going to be a unique one-off body.