1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Upgrade to an OM-D or get the P12-35?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by mf100, Sep 8, 2012.

1. mf100

mf100 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 26, 2012
    Sawbridgeworth, England
    Matthew
    I've been using an E-P3 since January (and loving it), but ever since the OM-D has come out I've been obsessing over getting one. However, I'm also conscience that lenses are the heart of any good camera system and I'd love to get the P12-35 X. I could roughly afford one or the other come Christmas time, but not both.

For reference my other lenses are the O12, P20 and the P45-175X. Despite these three excellent lenses I find that probably 40% of the time it's the plastic fantastic O14-42 kit lens that I use (also for video), but I can often see the difference in IQ compared to the other three lenses and hence why I'm very interested in the P12-35X as a long term investment.

So which of the following combinations would better serve my photography; the OM-D + 12-50mm kit for ~£1150 (+ sell the E-P3) or go for the P12-35X for ~£900 and use it with my E-P3?

All help welcome :)

2. Manila Man

Manila Man Mu-43 Regular

Oct 16, 2011
    You know you want both and it is a question of which one to buy first. My vote goes to the OM-D. It has so much going for it that the thrill should last several weeks. Hey I've had mine for months with just the kit lens and a P20 and I am still in love with it.

On the other hand when I bought my E-PL1 a P20 lens, the thrill flattened out in 2 weeks LOL.

IBIS, EVF, excellent low light captures, versatility of the 12-50mm( 12mm and macro are very handy), these are what I love about the E-M5. I cannot bring myself to shoot without the EVF anymore.

I like the 12-35mm. I just find it too fat. I am waiting for Olympus to come out hopefully with a more proportional size lens like the 12-50.

3. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Make sure to look into the CA problem when using the 12-35 on Oly bodies. I personally feel that the 12-35 is just plain overpriced for what it is, and needs to shed a good couple hundred off the price before it can be taken seriously. The EM5 is one hell of a kit, and I do like the flexibility of the 12-50, I must admit.

The 12-35 on the E-P3 won't be as much of a step forward as you might hope, IMO. However I would like to point out that if you're happy with the EP3, it's worth waiting to see what the next round of PENs brings to the table.

4. cmpatti

cmpatti Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Berkeley, CA
    Here is a comparison of the 12-35mm with three MTF kit lenses, including the Olympus 14-42, and you can also compare results at SLRGear (one of the few sites that has tested both). My own conclusion is that, at my print sizes (up to 15x20), the IQ difference between the Panasonic and the Oly kit lens isn't worth the price of the Panasonic and that the step up to the EM5 (the benefits of which apply to all my lenses) is a much better value. I'll continue to use the EM5 with the kit lens and a selection of primes to fill in specific needs.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    a new lens can give you a "new camera" . but yes the 12-35 is still pricey. if you think about it is more expensive than the camera body!. im just waiting on photokina for now, i believe that some glass and cameras should drop a couple of bucks!.

6. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    That 12-35 is a good looking (functionally) lens. I don't think I've seen such a fast Mu43 zoom as that. Why not rent one for a few days and see if you still think it is worth the $$$?

7. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    OMD is not my form factor so I went the route of getting glass instead of upgrading my E-PL2 (check my signature block).

For me,
    This turned out to be a good decision because I prefer the Digital PEN form factor over the OMD & if the E-PL5 rumors are true (with the OMD sensor) then I will be really glad that I held off on getting the OMD.

Just my own 2 cents...

8. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    For me the lens doesn't come down to just how large I can make prints with it. There are a few more factors involved with the 12-35, mainly for me the aperture. I don't see a ton of sharpness differences between my primes and this lens. Having used the 14-42 Olympus/Panasonic and the 14-45 Panasonic I feel like there are some major differences in overall IQ.

I agree with most notions that it's currently overpriced for most people. With Panasonic's history it will certainly drop in price a bit. Looking at the 7-14, I don't think the 12-35 will ever fall below $1000 new (other than grey market) Can't say I regret buying mine though.