1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

upgrade time EM5, A65, or SL1?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Allie, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Allie

Allie Mu-43 Regular

Mar 24, 2013
    Looking to upgrade to a faster camera for action, and not sure which is the better action cam. I know the EM5 has the 5-axis, but the other two are like PDAF, so it should better for tracking, right? Comments, ideas, or tips?

2. 50orsohours

50orsohours Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    What type of photography are you doing?

3. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

What lenses do you already have? If you have a stable of M43 I'd spring for the E-M1. If you have Canon EF in abundance, I'd grab a 70D: tweaked 7D AF in a smaller body and better CMOS.

4. 13thFloorPhotography

13thFloorPhotography Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2013
    Los Angeles
    I own both the a58 and the OMD em-5 and do a ton of crossfit photography. Hands down, the better camera is the OMD. The faster Single Autofocus is what I rely on. Although the a58 isn't an a65, I think the AF speed between the two will be comparable...noticeable slower when compared to the OMD.

5. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    There are a lot of myths regarding AF. One is that PDAF is always better for tracking action. There's a huge range between low-end and high-end DSLRs in terms of AF capability. Low end cameras like the Rebel are mediocre at best, and the SL1 is just a downsized Rebel.

The CDAF systems in the latest m43 cameras are faster than most DSLRs for S-AF. If you really need C-AF for tracking action, the OM-D falls behind the
    the best m43 and DSLR bodies, but is probably at least equal to the SL1.

Here are a couple of comparisons of AF tracking capability. The OM-D is mid-pack. So is the Sony A99, however. I don't know how the A65 compares to the A99.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51955665

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51957330

The G6 and GH3 (which share the same AF system) are faster than most mid-range DSLRs. The EM-5 not so much.

• Like Like x 1
  6. battleaxe

battleaxe Mu-43 Top Veteran

I can't comment on the Canon or the OMD, but I own and shoot wildlife with the SLT A57. I can shoot like 10fps, and 12 in a crop mode(with limited ability to adjust the settings), and they work reasonably well for wildlife. I can track a hawk pretty well also with these cameras and get a reasonable amount of in focus shots, even with the Minolta 100-300mm APO lens, which is pretty old at this point. I did take a quick look at the Canon T4/5i(which should be similar to the SL1 in terms of speed) just to compare before buying the Sony, and the AF speed, shooting speed on the Sony are much better. One thing though to note is that with PDAF cameras(without micro-contrast adjust), back focusing could be a inconvenient problem.
    Also, because of the size SL1 handling with a larger lens may not be the best.

Reading the comments over at DPR has me intrigued about the G6 a bit and how it really compares in terms of tracking wildlife vs the SLT cameras.

7. Allie

Allie Mu-43 Regular

Mar 24, 2013
    Is that really true, the OMD and G6(more so?) is better for tracking moving subjects, like kids and wild animals?

8. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Far as I can tell, the E-M1 is the first micro-four thirds camera that's got really usable tracking AF. And it's still not at the level of a good DSLR. Whether it beats out a simple DSLR like the SL1...not sure.

9. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Did you actually look at the links I posted?

10. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Yes, but I don't think a test tracking a car moving in one direction is particularly transferrable to all c-AF settings (i.e. birds or sports).

11. ntblowz

ntblowz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 13, 2011
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Well my GH3 is certainly better tracking in video than photo for me, for tracking photos I use 5D instead. But I heard E-M1 is a big improvement in tracking compare to previous model.

12. Allie

Allie Mu-43 Regular

Mar 24, 2013
    I take the E-PM2 has a 2-axix? Cause I am thinking maybe this camera in the near future for me.