1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Upgrade Olympus E-PL1

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by TheBiohazard, Jul 25, 2013.

1. TheBiohazard

TheBiohazard New to Mu-43

Jul 25, 2013
    I am interested in upgrading my Olympus e-PL1 for the following reasons:
    No built in Viewfinder
    Pretty bad low light pictures
    No dedicated controls (everything is through the menu system which is slow)

I am fairly new at photography so I do not feel comfortable spending $1000 on the OMD-e5. I realize the PM-2 and E-PL5 exist with the same IQ, but the lack of dedicated controls along with no VF or flash make them seem unappealing.

The g5 and g6 seem like my best options. However, since I currently use an Olympus, I would lose the IBIS of my 150mm lens, making my 6 month old purchase feel limited. I saw this deal: Panasonic Lumix G5 Mirrorless Digital Camera Kit with 14-42mm which may solve my problems.

My questions are: Will my old OMD 50 prime still be useful without the IBIS? Is the IQ of the g5 much better than the E-PL1 in low light? I am making a mistake getting the g5 instead of the E-pl5 since the sensor of the e-pl5 is superior?

Thanks.

2. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    The E-PM2 and the E-PL5 don't have built in viewfinders either; you'll have to use a VF-2 or VF-3 with them. If you want to stay with Olympus the E-M5 is the only show in town with a viewfinder -- for the moment at least. Even the E-P5 requires an accessory VF. I'd wait a bit. Olympus is said to be about to release a camera in or before September, and depending on what it is, it could cause the price of the E-M5 to drop. I can't speak to the Panasonic, since I haven't shot with them, but the E-M5 is definitely worth the wait. Heck, some people waited months for their pre-orders to come through when it was released.

3. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    I've used a two OM system 50mm (the 1.4 and the 3.5 macro) on a G5 without problems. You need more of a steady hand than a lens with built in OIS, but it is certainly usable. Outdoors you'll have no problem, indoors you'll want to use a wide aperture on the 1.4 or 1.8, the 3.5 will need a flash or tripod.

I've also used the Olympus 45 1.8 on the G5, no problems there either.

But you will benefit from getting a Panasonic telephoto lens, past 85mm or so it becomes harder to shoot telephoto without stabilization or a tripod. In sunlight I've shot 200mm handheld without problems using a fast shutter speed. I've tried with various 500mm lenses though without luck. But that may be because they were cheap adapted lenses that are a pain to focus on a tripod too. :)