1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Upgrade my E-PL1 to E-PM1?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by pake, Nov 28, 2011.

1. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    Hey guys, I need some help...

I've been using my E-PL1 for little over a year now and I'm mostly satisfied. However I've been wanting to upgrade ever since E-PL2 but didn't see the upgrade worth it. Now I'm thinking of buying myself the E-PM1 - but as a future 2nd camera! :biggrin: Let me explain. I have a serious GAS and I really want to buy a newer, better camera! However I don't think the current models are worth the money (comparing to what I already got with E-PL1). I was thinking I could buy smaller camera to be my current 1st choice camera that would be "replaced" in the future by E-PL4 or E-PL5... :biggrin:

What I want from my next camera is
    1) faster continuous mode (3 or 5 fps)
    2) better autofocus in low-light
    3) faster autofocus
    4) and most of all: better pictures when using higher ISO (even E-PL1's ISO-800 tend to be too noisy for my taste)

At least the first three would be covered with E-PM1 but how about the ISO noise? I try to avoid shooting with flash indoors but in order to get photos that are good enough I've been "forced" to use the (bounce) flash with E-PL1. Since E-PM1 can't manage that, is the ISO noise noticeably lower? Or is there a small external flash for PENs that can be bounced?

So, considering that I could get an E-PM1 (body only) for ~400$ and I do like my E-PL1 (to a point)... Does it make sense to get an E-PM1 now and get a "much better" camera in there future? Or are the changes between E-PL1 and E-PM1 too small so I should just hold on to my E-PL1 and wait...?

PS. I had a Nikon D7000 for a week and even though I like it's ISO performance I can't imagine getting a bigger camera than E-PL1. First of all it felt really uncomfortable in my hand. After shooting at a sporting event for 2 hours my wrist was getting tired. I love how my E-PL1 feels in my hand. And I've tried the E-PM1 a few times in a store and I'm pretty sure that with a grip it could be as comfortable as the E-PL1.

2. pake

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    And btw (and little off topic), to be honest I was disappointed with the D7000's ISO performance. I really think that a camera that heavy/big should get much better pictures with higher ISO values. Maybe I'm just too demanding... :tongue:

3. I've been thinking the same thing (GAS gets around ya'know). Have decided it it not really worth it. Would rather spend the money on lenses in the meantime, get a body that has everything I want (main "want" missing for me is the EVF in the corner) when it comes.
    For me the main issue with the E-PL1 is the slow max. shutter speed. I work around that currently by using shutter priority or (gasp) iAuto in bright light. Sure, I know the newer models focus faster, but I'm not that bothered with it.
    The E-PL1 will be my back up body later.

4. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    It's identical to the E-PL1. You have 3 options:
    1) G3 or GH2 - less noise (1/3-2/3 stop)
    2) Faster lenses - so you use a lower ISO
    3) A flash.

DH

5. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
  6. pake

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    I'd like to use some foul language here but maybe I shouldn't... :biggrin: So basically I would pay ~400$ for a slimmer/smaller camera that gives no noticeable gain in IQ (and loses the bouncy flash). :dash2:
    Since I'm not as rich as I'd like to be it's just not worth it. I think I'll get the Oly 45mm (+ maybe the VF-2 for manual lenses) instead...

Thanks for the comments.

7. pake

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    Thanks for the links! Well, according to dpreview's raw samples... (To my eyes) It seems that E-PL1 has better IQ with ISO 200-800 but with ISO1600 E-PM1 wins. I was hoping for better results than that.

8. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    No it's not

I recently replaced my PL1 with an PM1 so I know what I'm talking about.

The PM1 is significantly snappier than the E-PL1. You can really feel the difference, both with the kit zoom and with other supposedly 'slow' lenses like the 20mm f/1.7.

The PM1 is significantly smaller than the E-PL1. Some may not see this as an improvement, but with an optional grip (Franiec) I find it just great to hold and it's a much smaller package to carry.

In terms of IQ, you're right--identical. In terms of functionality, it's very close. The PM1 has the control wheel (like the PL2) but obviously lacks buttons. I've found the transition nearly seamless, once I customized the interface to my liking.

Overall I'm pleased with my upgrade. It wasn't an expensive one (the PM1 can be had for about $450, and I sold my PL1 for $275) and the improvements are noticeable. I'd recommend it if you value the compact size of the PM1.

EDIT: I see I may have misread DH's comment. He's right, of course, about the IQ--it's virtually identical. If it's IQ you really are after, in m43, then I'd recommend the G3 for just a little more money because it's got a better sensor.

9. Thanks for that user experience. Your price difference would be worth it to me for the better kit lens alone!

10. If it was a toss-up between upgrading the body or adding the 45/1.8 and VF-2.....no choice. I would hate to use either the E-PL1 or an E-PM1 without those two pieces of gear!

Cheers, Tom

11. robertro

robertro Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 22, 2010
    I recently went through the same decision-making process.

To answer the OP's question, I have not noticed any significant IQ differences, but then I was generally pleased with my E-PL1 image quality. If anything the IQ seems to be better at high ISO - probably improved JLEG engine?

What made bigger differences to me were the previously-mentioned fast focusing (huge difference in practice), the better LCD screen (I have the VF-2 but prefer not to use it), and the significantly smaller body (which makes the high-end compacts irrelevant for me). I was resistant to the idea of a separate flash, but I've grown fond of it - it's as easily pocketable as an extra battery.

I also debated the E-PL3 but I figured that the $200-250 price premium for the flip screen was a marketing mis-step that Olympus would correct after the E-PL3 sat on the dealer shelves for a while.

12. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, USA
    My only issue with the E-PM1 is the IBIS is a bit touchy and may work better turning it off at higher shutter speeds and only using it when shooting it in low light.

13. twmangrove

twmangrove Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2011
    B.C.
    Agree so far

On the comparisons. I do find myself liking the PM1 more for it is more suited to my desire for a P&S replacement.
    My two cents: I find the PM1 IQ, as others, to be maybe slightly improved, but that's speaking as a snap shooter who wishes to do as little PP as possible. In particular, I think the WB on the PM1 is a big improvement with the warm on/off setting (turn if off = brilliant).
    The build is also betting on the PM1, IMO, being all metal. The LCD, however, is not, given the 4/3 format on a 16/9 screen.
    Oh, and there are more movie modes on the PM1 and even the motion jpeg setting is a huge improvement.
    I find I'm not missing the mode dial at all. Overall, I'm very happy with the PM1 - it seems to have ticked some boxes that the PM1 did not. And with the price now down to about $400 CDN, it's a decent buy.

14. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I think E-PM1 is a solid upgrade from E-PL1. Just due to much improved AWB alone you'll get better pictures SOOC. Of course, significant jump in AF speed will help too. It's also noticeably smaller and lighter than E-PL1, has higher resolution screen with better contrast ratio, supports wired/wireless shutter remote, af assist lamp, 1/4000s, much faster art filter processing, 5.5 fps burst mode, full HD w/stereo mic. However, flaky IBIS is a stepdown.

15. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    Good point about the shutter speed . . . I'd forgotten about that, and if you shoot a lot in very sunny climates (like I do) then you'll really appreciate it.

16. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    But E-PL1 has ISO100 setting while E-PM1 starts from ISO200. It somewhat cancels out the advantage. You'll use ISO100 with E-PL1 in the sun.

17. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    You're right. ISO100 to ISO200 is one stop, as is 1/4000s to 1/2000s.

18. ntblowz

ntblowz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 13, 2011
    Auckland, New Zealand
    I also jump form E-PL1 to E-PM1, one of the biggest grip with E-PL1 is it tend to focus on the background , which is kinda frustrating for snap shot, and at low light it literary turns into blind eye where E-PM1 is so much better in this regard, though the smaller body means handling is not as comfortable as E-PL1 especially when paired with larger heavier lens

19. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    [​IMG]

I have just ordered a PEN E-PM1 kit with 14-150 zoom. (419€) And I have a question.
    I ordered this just to get the zoom as it is cheaper than the zoom on it's own!

Now my question, I have an OM-D and don't really want a second camera. Especially an obsolete one. Should I sell it or is there some clever reason to keep it? Thanks for any help.

20. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Keep the E-PM1, since you have it already. It's a fine little camera. If you have the Panasonic 14mm f/2.5, it'll be a perfect match for the Pen Mini. Even the f/2.8 version of the Oly 17mm is a good match. Both lenses can be picked up at a good price these days.

The 12mp :43: sensor may not be state of the art anymore but you'll still get better results than you'll get with any small-sensored, point-and-shoot camera. Image quality is fine up to ISO 1600 - maybe even 3200 in a pinch. And many Olympus shooters say the old sensor renders better jpg colors than the new 16mp sensor.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.