Upgrade LR or go for the Photoshop Photography subscription???

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by radamo, Nov 5, 2013.

1. radamo

radamo Mu-43 Regular

Aug 22, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Rich
    I am really struggling with this choice right now. I have a copy of LR 4 which will need to be updated to process E-M1 raws (yes I know I could use the DNG converter but would prefer not to add this step in).

Upgrade LR at a cost of $75

Or for $120/yr stay current on both LR and PS (I have CS5 right now)...

Leaning towards just upgrading LR since I don't use PS much anymore... and when I do the copy I have is fine.

Anybody else making this decision? How are you leaning?

2. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    I upgrade LR each time the new version comes out, it's only every 18 months or so and I don't mind paying the money to get the advantages the newer version offers. I have CS3 and even though it's not anywhere near the latest version it still does what I need on the occasions I use it.
    I use LR all the time as my main editing tool and Photoshop CS3 to do layering etc which isn't that often.

Paul

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ccasey

Ccasey Mu-43 Regular

Jul 29, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Chris
    I had the exact situation that you describe, and I went with the LR upgrade.

• Like Like x 1
  4. radamo

radamo Mu-43 Regular

Aug 22, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Rich
    Well, thanks for the sanity check guys. I am going to download the trial of LR5 and check it out...

5. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Read the fine print on that $10 a month deal. It says that after 12 months the subscription will renew at the "current rate" or something to that effect. I interpret that to mean the full subscription price, which is way more expensive. Unless you really want Photoshop, too, I think the LR purchase is a much better deal.