Upgrade LR or go for the Photoshop Photography subscription???

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by radamo, Nov 5, 2013.

1. radamo

radamo Mu-43 Regular

Aug 22, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Rich
    I am really struggling with this choice right now. I have a copy of LR 4 which will need to be updated to process E-M1 raws (yes I know I could use the DNG converter but would prefer not to add this step in).

Upgrade LR at a cost of $75

Or for $120/yr stay current on both LR and PS (I have CS5 right now)...

Leaning towards just upgrading LR since I don't use PS much anymore... and when I do the copy I have is fine.

Anybody else making this decision? How are you leaning?

2. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    I upgrade LR each time the new version comes out, it's only every 18 months or so and I don't mind paying the money to get the advantages the newer version offers. I have CS3 and even though it's not anywhere near the latest version it still does what I need on the occasions I use it.
    I use LR all the time as my main editing tool and Photoshop CS3 to do layering etc which isn't that often.

Paul

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ccasey

Ccasey Mu-43 Regular

Jul 29, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Chris
    I had the exact situation that you describe, and I went with the LR upgrade.

• Like Like x 1
  4. radamo

radamo Mu-43 Regular

Aug 22, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Rich
    Well, thanks for the sanity check guys. I am going to download the trial of LR5 and check it out...

5. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Sep 5, 2011
    Read the fine print on that $10 a month deal. It says that after 12 months the subscription will renew at the "current rate" or something to that effect. I interpret that to mean the full subscription price, which is way more expensive. Unless you really want Photoshop, too, I think the LR purchase is a much better deal.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.