Upgrade Itch ...How to stop it?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Bhupinder2002, Dec 4, 2011.

1. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi friends ..
    My love affair with MFT started three two years ago when I accidentally bought Olympus EPL1. I was impressed with the camera and sold my DSLR. I used it for 6-7 months and might have clicked around 6k shots. I loved its OOC Jpegs and really enjoyed it. But something was irritating me --like slow AF , shutter speed of 1/2000 , and camera used to refuse to focus in low light. Now enter EPL2 which offered some relief but with shutter speed and very little help from AF speed point of view.Soon EPL3 was launched and I bought it .It offers quick AF , tilting speed and faster frame rate. Now I don't think Olympus will delay the launch of EPL4 and many of us start to get itch to upgrade and start highlighting the negative points of any camera body. We don't get even a chance to form a bond of feel comfortable with camera body. My EPL1 spent more time with me than any other camera body. But I don't understand why we upgrade or camera body so quickly .Why were are losing patience? Do u upgrade because u r not happy with it? Or just as others are doing it and u feel lagged behind?Or just these camera companies know our weaknesses and keep on giving us many bodies with minor differences and we happily keep on buying ...Why its the camera which is getting more emphasis than our composing skills?Or Its just a feel good factor which drives us to upgrade or change?.I already have 20mm , 14mm and 45-200 mm.I am more than happy with these lenses but thinking of adding Olympus 45 or PL25.I would wait for EP3 body to drop its prices and then buy it.
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I buy to stimulate the economy ;)
    • Like Like x 1
  3. dayou14

dayou14 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2011
    I too had this upgrade itch, or rather just GAS, and I bought cameras and lenses like crazy in this 2-yr stretch. However, I didn't restrict it to M43, as I think that different types of cameras afford different aspects of photographic experiences, which is what I'm after. For example, I bought online, an old Canonet QL17 rangefinder, and found out that with a little fiddling, you can take perfectly fine pics. I'm currently trying to figure out a used Mamiya 645 Super...

Going back to M43, my great revelation is that image quality has more or less remained constant, if you take away the ISO improvements. The greatest improvement for me has been Panasonic's 3rd generation sensor, the one found in GH2, G3, and almost certainly will be in the GX1. But when I take the same photo on a day with adequate light, the pics are most the same whether it is G1 or GH2. G1, the first camera by Panny in the M43 serious, is still a perfectly-fine camera.

That revelation directly lead to 2 things: 1. It's the lenses. So I started buying lenses like crazy. 2. I sold my GH2 and now uses by G1.

I am no longer willing to buy full launch sticker prices of cameras made by Panny/ Oly, and will actually wait a year or more for the cameras to reach 2/3 prices or even half price. I've experienced camera depreciation by as much as half in the course of 1.5 years, and am no longer willing to cough out dough for marginal camera improvements. I put the dough in lenses, or... old manual focus lenses and cameras, which I know I don't need, but have grown to love.

So, I use a G1 now. I see myself using it until it breaks. I will eventually get the GX1, but not at 699USD at launch. I figured when the price drops to 400 or so, it'll be time to get one. Of course, by that time, GH3, and GX2, and G4 would have come out.

Don't chase cameras. Round out your lens collection. Buy manual legacy lenses. Try off-camera lighting. It's ok to get gear buying itch, but chasing every new camera iteration is just making the camera companies rich.
    • Like Like x 4
  4. G.Sal

G.Sal Mu-43 Regular

Jul 4, 2011
    The Philippines
    Been dodging the new models for months now. The camera bodies depreciate quickly whenever a new body shows up. I think it makes more sense to invest on the lenses.
  5. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Shoot film.
    You'll spend MUCH more time thinking about what you're shooting rather than what's in your hands :smile:
    • Like Like x 2
  6. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    I always try to
    1. Buy one model behind
    2. Look for refurbished or used stuff
    3. Sell my old stuff to pay for new stuff. This supports those whose itch lag behind mine just as 2. supports those who go before me.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Since all my m4/3 cameras have a "1" at the end of their name (and do not include the E-PM1), my answer is: I don't know...
  8. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    It's because the manufacturers whip everybody up into a frenzy that "new" models are "must-haves" and that old models are somehow obsolete. It sin their best interest if you constantly upgrading. That feeling is further fed by reviewers and comparison sites that don't want to admit how close the new and old models really are (saying that doesn't increase page views). To fight it I...

I buy used. Consider that the E-P1 (list price around $900 when it was introduced) that can be bought for under $200 today. Still capable and IQ wise that THAT different from the latest models.

When I get the upgrade urge I go out and take pictures instead (and stay off most OTHER photo forums).

If I buy something I sell something to pay for it.
  9. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Then again, very little IQ difference in the E-P1 & E-P3 since they essentially have the same sensor :smile:
  10. Herb

Herb Mu-43 Regular

Aug 16, 2011
    Upgrade Itch

There is a post at the Large Format site called " confessions of a silver bullet chaser" or something like that.
    Face it, most of us are gearheads and not really serious photographers. If we were we would shoot less and compose more.
    I like the mf4/3 quite well as a snapshot camera. The digital world is driven by the need to keep selling to the public.
    Adobe told me they intend to put out a new version of their software every 18 months. Totally unncessary, IMHO.
    Enjoy the gear and don't fret about the latest and greatest.
    My latest purchase was a "potato masher" flash for my crown graphic 4x5 so I can do vintage style candid shots, with the camera being the entre'
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    Stop looking...
  12. hodad66

hodad66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 27, 2010
    Indialantic, Florida
    None of the latest offerings interest me. I almost got a G3
    until I chanced upon a used GH1. Viewfinder AND a decent
    grip. Now lenses are another matter.... ;-)
  13. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    the best way to stop IS to stop looking. No camera reviews and when going to forums, only view galleries, not discussions. Remember that people were taking great digital photos years ago on 3 MP cameras.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. taz98spin

taz98spin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2011
    Totally agree! :thumbup:
  15. JohnF

JohnF Mu-43 Regular

Apr 1, 2010
    Oberursel, Germany
    You don't fix it, you channel it. :)

I set a list of lenses that I've always wanted and slowly, one by one, I am finding and acquiring them. Most recent acquisition is a Vivitar Series 1 200 f3 in OM mount, pristine shape, but no box or case. I can live with that. :) I'm down to only three lenses on that list...

Sent from my Acer Iconia using TapaTalk...
  16. Jimboh

Jimboh Mu-43 Regular

Sep 17, 2010
    agree with G.Sal

Swallow hard at the price, then get good lenses and shoot a lot. That will keep you off the computer looking at the new models :rofl:

Some related thoughts...

Two definitions of obsolete:
    --When the manufacturer comes out with a newer model.
    --When the model you have no longer does what you need it to do.

Most expensive way is to knowingly buy less of a tool than you know you need. Buy it once, buy it right and avoid compromising in the process. You're less likely to be dissatisfied this way and then feel compelled to buy all over again to "fix" what you "settled for" the last one.

Finally, At minimum buy only every other generation. Typically there's not enough improvement in successive versions for the cost. --> e.g. GH1 vs GH2
  17. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The upgrading itch can only be relieved by scratching it with a new camera. ;)
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Give in to the temptation!!!!
  19. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    I'm sure its all personal, but for me, I know exactly what I want, but I just can't have it. I want a Canon 5d classic in a Pen body with a built in EVF. Because I can't have that, I have tried a lot of comabinations over the last two years, though the EP1 was a constant.

The EPM1 + PL25 + VF2 is as close as I've come, so it will take a lot to get me to switch again. Responsive, compact, relatively affordable, great shallow DOF, great color and contrast. Wonderful.

If Oly put an EVF in body, or if NEX released a 35mm 1.8 for under $600 or if the rumored Fuji CSC is close to what I want, then I might move, but the EPM1 + 25 is doing it for me. If the CV25/0.95 had AF and was more like $800, I might have gotten one of those a year ago, but instead I had to wait for the Panny to become available.
  20. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    I hear you!
    I want a Leica M7......:eek: