Upgrade GF1 to GX1?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by GShooter, Mar 3, 2012.

1. GShooter

GShooter Mu-43 Regular

Now that people have had a few weeks to asses the GX1, and before I splash out a lot of readies upgrading, can anybody who has experience of both models give me their opinion on the following.
    At base ISO and f stop 11-16, will the new 16mp sensor resolve any more detail than the 12mp sensor at the same settings? I am not talking about pixel peeping, but for good quality prints up to A3.
  2. CPWarner

CPWarner Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 24, 2010
    I owned a GF1 in the past, but sold that when I got my GH2. I now have a GX1 along with the GH2. At base ISO (160 for the GX1) the GH2 and GX1 are pretty close to each other in terms of resolution. My view was that there was a definite step up when I went from a GF1 to the GH2, so I would expect you should see an improvement with a GX1 over the GF1. I have made prints up to 24x30 with very nice detail off a GH2 image and would expect one can do that with a GX1.
  3. Llamaman

Llamaman New to Mu-43

Apr 20, 2012
    At the risk of thread hijacking, how do the GH2 and GX1 compare at high ISO? I'm looking at upgrading my GF2 for better high ISO.
  4. shinzomaeda

shinzomaeda New to Mu-43

Apr 23, 2012
    Hi, this is my first post so hopefully not trying to hijack your thread, but I'm also looking to upgrade my GF1 to GX1.

If I keep my lenses, and get a body only , is this going to be ok, will all function the same as I'm used to?

I have a 20mm and 14-45mm.

5. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    I can't compare the GF1 vrs the GX1 side by side. I can compare IQ but from files from the GF1 that were made over a year ago. The GX1 has finer seperation in the tonal range. It also resolves finer on details. I'm a user not a PP'r.

I'll tell ya one thing....the GX1 focuses faster then 90% of the cameras out there. Im not just talking m43. It's very fast and accurate and does wonderful in low light.
    The slightest amount of contrast in the low light areas is all it needs.

My grandson took one of my M8's and left me this camera.
    I gotta tell ya... It was a fair trade...
    • Like Like x 1