'Upgrade' from Pany 14mm 2.5 to Oly 17mm 1.8

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Rhodel_close, May 4, 2013.

1. Rhodel_close

Rhodel_close Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 7, 2012
    Hi guys,

I have been thinking about this for awhile now. Tried to search the net but nothing much bout this topic. Shall i replace my Pany 14mm with the new Oly 17mm 1.8? With the current pricing of the Oly 17mm, its kinda tempting to get one. I generally want it as a compact set up for general/street photography. Also, other lens i have are PL 25mm 1.4, Oly 45mm 1.8 and Pany 35-100mm 2.8. Which lens would complement my lens set up? Or should i keep my Pany 14mm and take the plunge to get the Oly 17mm as well?

Thanks for the expert inputs guys.
  2. Rhodel_close

Apr 7, 2012
    Oh btw, i use it on my OM-D body.

Thanks guys.
  3. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    depends on if 17mm is wide enough for you- if so go for it, but only if you like the focal length. I will say the 14mm is by far the best lens for the money, fast af, high resolution and tiny- AND not very expensive.

I never thought I'd sell my 14mm, but I did. Mainly because I got the 17mm, I prefer it over the 20mm, faster af and I much more prefer the wider view- which I also sold (I have a 25mm too) and th 17mm was too close to the 14mm... so I went 12mm. GAS, sigh.
  4. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    If you already have the 25/1.4, is 17/1.8 going to be too close? Would you miss having a wider lens? Do you plan on getting a wider lens later on? You should think about these questions.

My situation: I didn't think so at first, but after a few months I sold 25/1.4 and got the 45/1.8 to make the gap bigger.
  5. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    So far I'm keeping both 14 and 17. I really like the 14 when shooting cars in close quarters. I can get close while maintaining good DOF and shooting wide open. Doing that with the 17 (even at f/2.5) requires more distance between camera and subject. For general walking around, 14 is too wide for me, but if I need a really small setup the 14 comes out regardless.

Sent from my phone. Please pardon my brevity!
  6. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    With an OMD it's a tough choice, which as the replies above note will depend on your FOV preference. With a smaller body like the PM2 it's no-brainer IMO--the 14mm is on mine nearly all the time because it makes the camera truly pocketable. It's the one lens I couldn't imagine being without (with the PM2).
  7. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    If I had to choose depending upon what fits in a pocket, I'll opt for larger pockets.
  8. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    rob collins
    I would wait on the 17/1.8. It is going to be a 'kit' lens on the EP5 which is also going to be sold body only. My guess is that the lens will be priced at about US$300 in the combo - say 899 and 1199.

That means people will buy the combo and be happy to sell the 17/1.8 for US$350 on ebay. The 12-50 with the OMD was a US$500 lens that was priced at US$300 as a kit lens.

You at least should wait until the EP-5 announcement before making any decisions.
  9. Rhodel_close

Apr 7, 2012

I agree with you that the 14mm has one of the best price to performance ratio. Though sometimes i feel that the 14mm is too wide for me, i have no complain about it as i can always crop the pic the way i want.
  10. Rhodel_close

Apr 7, 2012
    I dont think i will be getting a wider lens in the near future. The 25/1.4, i just love this lens along with the 45/1.8
  11. Jay86

Jay86 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2012
    Im in a similar dilemma myself. I have cancelled two lens orders now as Im so confused all the while I have brand new GH3 sitting here that has no lenses!

What logic is telling me is that either go with P14mm, P25mm & Oly 45mm - 3 lens kit OR Oly 17mm & Oly 45mm - 2 lens kit. Otherwise I think I think you get a kit that has overlap and redundancy which will ultimately lead to one or the other lens just sitting around.

I think 14mm & 17mm become redundant (jmo). However 17mm and 25mm are quite different. I can see the 17mm & 45mm pairing being a very useful two lens combination of having one normal/wide fast lens and one short tele fast lens.

I guess what's bothering me the most is that I wouldn't have a 50mm FL equivalent in 35mm format which I used to shoot a lot with if I went with a 17mm/45mm combination (Which i feel like could be pretty great as well but again a 17mm will not provide that DOF a 25mm will.... )

Anyhow (enough of me just rambling, lol), I think in your case you have to know wether 17mm will be wide enough as your widest "fast" lens. If you think it will then sure go for the "upgrade". If you feel 17mm will be too long as your widest fast lens then perhaps you should take a second look at your overall kit. It looks like you really like that 25mm, so if you get the 17mm will you still have a use for both lenses? Only you can answer that... for some they have uses for both for others they will not.
  12. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    If you have the dough, get the lens you are considering. It's a nice generalist lens that's got some speed and there are days you can go out shooting with just that lens. After a while, you'll see where you're leaning mm-wise and maybe then reorganize your kit.
  13. PaulGiz

PaulGiz Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 3, 2013
    Rhode Island, USA
    I had a 35mm & 90mm for my Contax G1 for a while. This is what you would have on m4/3 with the 17 & 45 combo. It was not satisfying at all. The gap was very wide. The 35 was sometimes not wide enough, feels like a short normal, and then the 90 was, Whoa!! I'm close!!

I'm using 14/30 right now (couldn't swing the PL25 [yet]) and it's working well for me. 14/25/45 or 14/25/60 seems to be a much better combo. Even if you start with just 14/25, you'll cover tons of normal situations.

At least that's what I think.
  14. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    I don't understand the suggestion of exchanging a 14mm lens for a 17mm lens or a 12mm lens for a 14mm lens (or vice versa); they are all three quite different focal lengths with quite different uses. Although occasionally there are situations where one or the other pair of lenses in that sequence adjacent to each other would suffice, there will usually be one that is better than the other for any given photograph. I have both the 14mm and the 12mm, and should like to have the 17mm, too, one day.

Back when I used 35mm equipment, I had a 24mm, a 28mm and a 35mm lens, and used all of them, as, I think, did many other photographers, both amateur and professional, who used fixed focal length lenses. It is one thing, I suppose, if one cannot afford all three (although the middle of the three, and arguably the easiest one of which to dispose if one can only afford two, is also by far the cheapest and best value of the set), but if cost is not the issue, these are "and" lenses, not "or" lenses.
  15. rich9cinti

rich9cinti Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 23, 2013
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I wouldn't exchange it. I have both the 14mm f/2.5 and the 17mm f/1.8 and each has its strengths. The 17 1.8 sits on my E-P3 as my EDC. Although I like the performance of the 14 2.5, there's just something special to me about the 17 that makes it a perfect street lens and a welcomed challenge for other genres.
  16. Bravin Neff

Bravin Neff Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2011
    Bravin Neff
    I'd like a 14/2.5, but if its anything like the P20, what bugs me most about that lens is the noisy focus motor. Its annoying with stills, and it ruins any video you make with it. The O17 is a great lens, so I can heartily recommend it.

I say get both.
  17. NikkoExiledInSF

NikkoExiledInSF Mu-43 Regular

Feb 8, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    I swapped out the Panny 14mm f/2.5 for the Oly 12 f/2.0 - wanted wider FOV and better quality/sharpness/rendering etc. Very happy with this move, FWIW.

18. CiaranCReilly

CiaranCReilly Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 18, 2012
    Ciaran Reilly
    My 14 is whisper quiet, and I've never heard anyone else complain about it being noisy. It is a really really civilised little lens to live with, no moving parts on the outside and very quick AF even on my aging E-P1.
  19. PaulGiz

PaulGiz Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 3, 2013
    Rhode Island, USA
    The P20 focusses by screwing the entire lens in and out. The P14 (like the PL25, and all Oly lenses) focusses internally (only one group or element moves via a linear motor). This is why the P20 is very different in operation from most m4/3 lenses, noisier, slower with more focus hunting.

The P14 is whisper quiet and focusses pretty much instantaneously.

20. voltcontrol

voltcontrol Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2013
    The P14 is perfect for video too.