1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Upgrade from Panasonic G3 to omd?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by riverbum, Feb 22, 2014.

1. riverbum

riverbum Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 24, 2012
    Mt Olive, NJ
    As the title says I own a G3 that has served me pretty good. The only complaints I have is the low light indoor shots although it has helped since I got my panny 20mm 1.7. I have been really looking at the em10 and was wondering if the image quality would be worth the cost of up grading from my G3. I know the em10 would give me more external controls and some new or different features as well as ibis. I'm just wondering if any of you with the em10/em5 have any imput. Better yet anyone coming from a G3 I'd love to hear from you. I only own the 20mm 1.7 and the kit lens that came with the G3

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Mu-43 mobile app

2. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I have a G3, had an E-PL5, and just got E-M5's. I bought the G3 for its size, sensor and EVF. It still is a nice size, the sensor is not bad, and the EVF is OK (but I cannot stand the terrible light bleed as an eyeglass wearer). For shooting that is not in low light, I might pick up the G3, but I suspect that it will no longer be in my bag with the E-M5's. I have never relied on any image stabilization systems, and always treated them as an additional luxury. But, after having seen some amazing shots from the E-M5 with the 75/f1.8 and low shutter speeds, I started wondering if my E-PL5 was not serving me well in those types of low light situations where the E-M5's IBIS would. I am still evaluating my images, so I cannot render any comments based on a large amount of shooting with an E-M5, but if the IBIS offers you what you need, then it is not unreasonable to upgrade if you can afford it.

Good luck,

--Ken

3. unstable_rider

unstable_rider Mu-43 Regular

Feb 9, 2014
    Land of Lakes
    This may be straying off topic a bit, but you scare me when you say the G-3 is bad in low light/indoor applications.

I have a very reliable Olympus E-P2 (PEN 2) and have been amazed at it's indoor capability, without the typical tell-tale yellow cast of Tungsten lights on most images.

That being said, I was actually considering a G-3 or a G-5, so I hate to hear the G-3 is not serving you well indoors.

I have been popping away with the certainly slow, cheap Oly 40-15mm0 and have been quite pleased with it's indoor available light capability just on a PEN 2, when I know historically, carrying typical DSLR's like my former Nikon D80 or Canon 30D I would have never attempted anything indoors with available light because they both just sucked indoors.

Thanks for letting me rant, but I value your opinion in any regard- :biggrin: now back to your topic, sorry.

4. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Paul
    My wife has a G3 and I use an EM-5 and would comment as follows:-

Under good outdoor light conditions both are good (if slightly different). Slight edge to Oly perhaps.

Under difficult lighting conditions the auto white balance in the EM-5 is better and the IQ between them starts to increase and the Panasonic RAW files are harder work to correct/ work with.

JPEG the Oly wins hands down - I suspect you need a G5 or G6 and some detailed work on JPEG settings to get near the standard Oly out of the box.

Low light level focusing the Oly wins again and then there is 5 axis IBIS - you can read all about it in reviews but until you experience it first hand you really cannot appreciate just how good it is.

Handling is very much a personal thing. For me after 30 years of OM1 and OM3 the EM-5 just "fits".

If you come from a DSLR background you may need to consider adding half or all of the grip on an EM-5 increasing the cost compared to say a G5/6 etc.

Built in flash, LCD flex ability and video options are better on the Panasonic range.

Now Oly have added small focus point and "low" ISO to the EM-5 the EM10 only adds Built in WiFi, later processor (minute improvement in IQ?) and lower cost add on bracket but loses sealing.

Again all personal observations and your own views may be different.

• Like Like x 1
  5. riverbum

riverbum Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 24, 2012
    Mt Olive, NJ
    Thanks for all your replies. The G3 isn't necessarily bad in low light I just don't have much to compare it to. I came from a Nikon D50 so the G3 was a pretty big step up. I guess my question really is, is it worth upgrading the camera or getting more glass? I guess I have a bit of GAS, so I'm just looking for input before I go and break the bank and the wife kills me haha.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    The G3 is not necessarily bad in low light. It just does not offer any in-body stabilization that allows you to shoot at low shutter speeds without camera motion blur. You can use Panasonic lenses that have OIS, but then you have a limited range of lenses offering this feature.

Regarding WB, the G3 is near the back of the pack, but since I shoot raw, I just make my corrections in Lightroom. I have similar feelings about the G3's jpeg files, but shooting raw means I do not have to address this issue as well. I am sure these two things can be addressed if you shoot jpegs, but the G3 out of the box did not meet my needs. Sensor IQ, though, is quite nice, and IMHO, is about half a generation behind what Panasonic and Olympus are curently offering.

Notwithstanding the above advice, unless there are certain features that one body offers that is not available, I would probably give cost consideration. Used G3's are very affordable, but used E-M5's have also fallen in price recently. Post more questions if you need more feedback.

--Ken

• Like Like x 1
  7. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    I also have a G3. What ISO are you pushing up to? I find that 1600 still produces very usable files, and above that, I just keep in mind that there will be a bit of noise (usually processed to look like grain). Also having the 20 1.7. Not sure if this is gear for the sake of gear desire. What exactly do you find limiting about the low-light experiences you have? Where are you shooting? Does the 20mm have anything on the front (may drastically raise time to focus)? I would suggest for low light to only compare with the 20, as the kit lens, even at the wide end is usually too slow without a tripod. The other thing is if you shoot raw to consider manual, as you can simply raise the EV in post, with the resulting bit of noise, but less blur.

Generally, my advice is laid out as: What problems do you experience? How much will the new gear improve those problems? Is it worth the price? Without more details, can't really answer for you.

8. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    If you are pondering newer body or lenses then go for the lenses; they will most likely lose less money over the short term or be something you will use for many generations of body. Think about how much we can pick up used G3's and even new G5's for now, same for the older Oly bodies and look at the depreciation on lenses of the same vintage, give it a year or so and the body you want will be far more affordable. Besides the G3 is capable of producing very good images a better lens most likely will give you a bigger increase in IQ.

9. riverbum

riverbum Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 24, 2012
    Mt Olive, NJ
    Thanks for the input everyone. Yeah I have noticed how much the G3 has dropped in value since I purchased it. I usually shoot jpeg for the everyday shots and raw for photos that I know I will want to work with. I do love the looks of the omd's but I'm not willing to spend money on looks alone. I will have to see if I can get my hands on the em10 or wait for more reviews/ pictures threads to be available. I guess now it's one to figuring out what glass to get for the time being. Thank you all again but if anyone else has anything to add im still interested.

-Josh

10. shockwave

shockwave New to Mu-43

May 7, 2013
    Just to echo what others have said as well. I have had a G3 since it launched and will probably upgrade toward the end of the year to an IBIS camera but I find that low light shots are decent below ISO 1600 with the Panasonic 20 and Olympus 45mm lens. I don't use auto white balance but I think it looks fine if you choose the appropriate setting in the camera before the shot. Since I only shoot raw as well white balance takes maybe 5 seconds to fix in Lightroom for the times I forget to make the correct setting in camera.

11. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    I think you are confusing nicer auto white balance of Olympus with cleaner high Iso which G3 is better at than epl2 AFAIK .

12. dcbrookes

dcbrookes Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 24, 2010
    Herefordshire, UK
    I bought a G3 when they were first released, but there were two things about it I really did not like. The first was that I could not carry it one-handed without inadvertently touching the buttons on the back and moving the AF target. More important, though, was the highlight response curve, which made it very difficult to keep detail in (for example) white clouds against a darker sky. I adopted the practice of under-exposing by about 1 stop, but this meant that noise was pulled up along with the shadows (I shoot RAW exclusively). The E-M5 solved these problems - it has a gentle roll-off at the highlight end, and it is possible to recover a lot of detail, even from apparently blown-out highlights. The E-M5 also has better controls, and (with a grip) feels much better in the hand. Add to this the wonderful IBIS and (IMO) this makes your decision for you.

David

13. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    As far as highlights, experience now tells me exactly how much I can push the file beyond the histogram or blinkies. I have had shots that say they are blown be perfectly usable, but it took time to build that knowledge for this one. Never had a problem carrying one handed, though.

14. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    What sort of lens focal lengths do you think will help you to get the shots you want?

15. Dch

Dch Mu-43 Regular

Nov 20, 2013
    I had the same question a few months ago:

https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=55852

Since, i've bought the E-M5 and being using it for a while now; i just LOVE it. Image quality is really better, a faster camera, more responsive, IBIS is amazing...
    But overall, it's just nicer to use for me; a better experience. I thought several times lately that this is the camera i enjoyed the most in quite a few years.
    The E-M10 looks like would suit you perfectly; it was not out yet when i switched.

16. riverbum

riverbum Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 24, 2012
    Mt Olive, NJ
    Thanks for sharing. I was hoping to hear from someone who had made the change. Right now the camera upgrades are on hold until after tax time because of some unexpected expenses. But can't hurt to be ready right? Lol

17. riverbum

riverbum Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 24, 2012
    Mt Olive, NJ
    Well right now I'm using my 20mm pancake most of the time. I am very happy with the output. The kit lens is pretty good outdoors but not so much indoors without flash. Although I have been trying to bump up the iso's and have been pleased with the results. I would like something like the 12-50mm Olympus because of the slight macro ability and still be able to use as a general walk around lens or the Olympus 60mm 2.8 macro partly because of price(over the pain sonic version) and the ability to shoot macro and portraits from what I've seen other members on this site do with their's. I was concerned with the lack of in lens stabilization with the Olympus lenses with my G3.