Upgrade? From GH1 to G6?

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by whittonm, Mar 2, 2014.

1. whittonm

whittonm New to Mu-43

Mar 8, 2012
    I am the proud owner of a Panasonic GH1K, a couple of lenses, an adapter for my old Pentax SLR lenses, and a NIssin flash. I would classify myself as an enthusiastic amateur, with an emphasis on the amateur. Have been into photography on and off since 1970 (I am old). The GH1 is about 3 years old and I was thinking of upgrading to a new G6, or GH3, or ? Can I please ask for opinions from the experts on this forum, is it worthwhile to upgrade, what are the best options to give me better photos without sacrificing the compact size of MFT?
  2. TheRenaissanceMan

TheRenaissanceMan Mu-43 Regular

Oct 11, 2013
    Hi there! While the G6 and GH3 are both great upgrade options, we could give you better advice if you specified how you like to use your camera and what you're hoping to get from a new body. :)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mu-43 mobile app
  3. whittonm

whittonm New to Mu-43

Mar 8, 2012
    That's a good question but I probably don't have a good answer. I generally take landscapes, cityscapes, pics of family, and some Ebay pics. I was hoping to get better picture quality, particularly with flash, faster focussing in low light, some more convenience with the wifi downloads, and, I must admit, I am a bit of a gear-hound and like to have the latest gadgets and doo-dads. Thanks for any help.
  4. armoredpig

armoredpig Mu-43 Regular

Mar 28, 2013
    I don't own a G6, but I had a G5 and now own a GH3 and for what it's worth, the GH3's build quality is phenomenal. My G5 had some slight body squeaks and the plastic construction left a little to be desired. That is not to say it wasn't a fine camera--and the G6 is likely similar. I never once felt that the plastic construction was inadequate or fragile, but the GH3 feels indestructable in comparison.

The GH3 doesn't add much to the table *for me* over the G5 in terms of functionality, but the weather sealed magnesium body with all the added external controls and battery grip compatibility have me thinking I'll be a GH user from here on out.
  5. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    GH3 has the sony sensor which will give slightly better stills than the G6, but the G6 is a smaller camera. The GH3 is about the size of a small DSLR. G6 has focus peaking, GH3 does not (if that is a factor for you with the adapted lenses). I can't be sure, but I think both have the same wifi capability. GH3 has great build quality, G6 is consumer grade. For me, GH3 has outstanding ergonomics. By far the best in m43.
  6. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    I think your lenses need a freshen-up. Try the 12-35mm f/2.8 or the PanaLeica 25mm f/1.4. Add an Olympus 45mm f/1.8 for head-and-shoulders portraits. I think you will find the change in your pictures startling.
  7. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    The G6 is supposed to have a sensor similar to the GH2. I own both a GH1 and GH2, and the GH2 is not much different than the GH1 with stills. Much better for video, but the two cameras are near equals with stills, so I'd imagine that the G6 is in the same ballpark.
  8. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

All of the latest 16 MP sensors will yield roughly the same IQ and high ISO noise, give or take. The GH series grew a bit since the GH1, the equivalent size is actually the G3 now. The GX7 is nice and compact as well, and has IBIS which is a plus for all the un-stabilised primes in the system. I'm guessing you aren't keen on the GX7 because of its rangefinder ergonomics?

You mention better low light focusing - that really sees the greatest benefit from a faster lens. Even if you stop down a f/1.8 lens to f/3.5, it will still focus at f/1.8. It's that extra light that tends to make wide aperture lenses 'fast' at AF.