upgrade from gf1

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by my06wagon, Mar 11, 2014.

1. my06wagon

my06wagon Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 11, 2014
    New to the forums.

Im undecided on what camera body to buy or weather I need to upgrade at all. I have been using the gf1 for several years now. I still think its fine for my needs outdoors but untill I get indoors and take pictures of my kids. I always never get them in focus and auto focus seems slow because it is always hunting. I tend to use the 20mm the most.

I currently have the following lenses.
    20mm f1.7
    Oly 45mm
    25mm f1.4 which ive ordered on its way.
    14-45
    45-200.

I am stuck on the gx7 and em1. Or possibly em 5 or 10
    Im concerned about purple fringing so im leaning towards the gx7. But the em1 corrects this too does it not.i prefer the grip on the em1 inhand but find the menus abit awkward. Is it worth the extra for the em1 over the gx7. Also what is the 40 fps electronic shutter burst mode like. Is that a gimmick or useful. I also fancy the 5 axis stabilization. I have been reading that the gx7 has really good low light focus so im torn between that.

Any opinions

2. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    Hi

I'll go out on a limb and say nothing will benefit in your stated area of interest
    to be honest I believe that for such subjects you need to have an EVF as you will want to confirm focus visually. Next thing is that the more you go for narrow DoF the more the camera operator needs precision to get the focus just right. To be honest this is IMO at least part of the reason that formats have been shrinking since 120 roll 6x9 cameras down to 4/3. Sure its also for other reasons, but a primary benefit is that at the same f number we get a DoF that's more likely to get the subject in focus (thus a happy customer)

Why don't you try a EVF camera, but rather than go nuts on a new one just put $100 into a good used G1 body (which will also be able to share battery & charger with your GF1) and see how you feel. I am totally guessing at the compositions you like (nothing mentioned) but you may actually benefit from something like a 50mm f1.8 legacy lens and learn to focus it manually. That equates to much tighter pictures.

I know everyone just loves OIS but its not magic and will only work for correcting movement of your camera relative to the world, if the subject moves (you said kids right?) then there is no substitute for shutter speed, see this short post
    http://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/2013/12/image-stabilization.html

next (knowing nothing about your technique, so apologies if you already know this) work on shutter release technique and steady holding. The absolute worst way to hold a camera steady is the way "point and shoot - rear screen only" cameras make you work. Having the camera to your face increases stability amazingly (which is probably part of why its been so successful over the last 50 years).

With a little practice and building your selfconfidence with your technique you can get sharp on subject focus without resorting to expanding the image in the viewfinder as long as you have a good EVF like the G1 or better.

almost everything on my photostream is done with manual focus.
    HTH :)

3. my06wagon

my06wagon Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 11, 2014
    I have the evf with the gf1 but the resolution isnt the greatest.

4. phl0wtography

phl0wtography Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 15, 2011
    Have to concur with pellicle. Low light focusing of moving subjects is mostly a matter of shooting technique. Sure, newer bodies (E-M5 and up) might net you a little leeway, but they won't magically turn every indoor shoot into a keeper. Even DSLRs (maybe except for D4, and 1Dx) will regularly hunt in low light situations if the user just "expects" the camera to get it right.

5. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    I just sold the EVF for my GF1 ... it sucks when compared to the G1!
    two quick quotes: of the G1
    of the LVF1
    The G1 viewfinder was a ground breaker back when it came out, after decades of full frame SLR and laughing at winky dink teeny weeny 4/3 optical finders it actually allows you to see.

For those with short memories the viewfinder on the G1 was not far away in visual size from the optical viewfinder of the EOS 1

[​IMG]
    link to dpreview

it was well regarded then, and while it is second to some now its not so bad.

Anyway, it won't cost much to give it a go and you'll be able to sell it again when you upgrade to a more expensive camera if you've found that works for you

having both (well just sold the GF) cameras I can say that when I want no brain point and shoot I use the GF and when I want solid results which I can rely on I use the GH1 (or my older G1) because I can work so much faster with it.

The reason I've sold my GF is that if I want a point and shoot I'm going to pull out my LX-5 as its quite good enough and is more versatile as a pocket camera (which the GF wasn't unless I used only the 20mm or 14mm lenses)

PS suggestion: I just sold my EVF-1 for $100 ... you can buy a G1 from KEH in "LN" for $119

Keep the GF for when you want compact (if you wish to) and swap the near useless LVF for a G1 and then also have a second camera!!

6. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Every single modern m4/3rds body has really good low light focus. (Edit: this seems to jarr with advice already given, it is still my belief.)

My indoor non-flash body is the e-pM2 used with your 20mm lens, same sensor as e-pL5, E-M5.
    The newer sensors are so good at high ISO indoors, a GX7 or E-M1 are fine choices too, but expensive.
    Your lens collection is good.

When you get a new camera, keep a hold of your GF1 : a unique and capable camera.

7. val

val Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2013
    Australia
    William
    I would go with the GX7.

I personally prefer it's 5 point AF over the Olympus. Absolute preference of course.

8. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 18, 2011
    +1, the gf1 has a special something.

9. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Turn on all the lights in the house, that should help some. But you can get a G5 for pretty cheap these days.

10. my06wagon

my06wagon Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 11, 2014
    Well I brought the 25mm f1.4 for my gf1 and I find it much better than the 20mm. Theres something about the rendering not to mention the autofocus I find quicker too. I also brought a gx7. Just waiting for it too arrive. Cant wait. I will still keep the gf1 and 20mm but will sell the 14-45 and 45-200 as they are rarely used and the 25mm f1.4 is awesome