1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Upgrade from GF1 to GX1? Advice

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by marko, Mar 30, 2012.

1. marko

marko Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 10, 2011
    I've had a GF1 since right around the time it came out.

Have the Panasonic 20mm and the Oly 45mm.

The Olympus cameras including the OM-D just don't do it for me. I like the "tank" feeling the GF1 has.

Been thinking about picking up a GX1. Am I going to see a big difference in the newer sensor as far as indoor shots (higher ISO)?

2. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

This will probably be the biggest thing you will notice, it unfortunately makes the GF1 look bad. GX1 is miles better at high iso's

I've just picked one up couple of weeks ago and it almost feels like a GF1. The biggest change is that it's thinner and the thumb curve on the back is smaller so I had to relearn how to hold it. I keep finding me thumb sitting between the rear dial and the AF lock button. A little less comfortable I think, but everything else seems pretty much the same. I couldn't get used to the touch screen yet so I turned that off:smile:

If you've had the GF1 since the early days you will enjoy the newer sensor in the GX1

icon

3. marko

marko Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 10, 2011
    Awesome, just what I wanted to hear.

4. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Hi.
    Just wanted to confirm what Icon said. I was also a GF1 user and got the GX1 about 3 months ago. The GX1 is a HUGE improvement at high ISO !!!

3 other things you'll notice.

the new grip is really fantastic, nicely curved and grippy.

It performs faster, the difference is very noticeable with AF, has that instantaneous feel.

Not sure if you shoot with the LCD or the LVF1, or both. But the new LVF2 is awesome compared to the old viewfinder.

• Like Like x 1
  5. marko

marko Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 10, 2011
    Another vote in the yes column. If I get another one of these IPAs in me tonight might pull the trigger.

6. marko

marko Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 10, 2011
    Do you all still have your GF1s? considering keeping mine as a beater. I do a lot of camping/hiking considering the gf1 with a cheap kit lens for such events.

7. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    If you like the GF1, you'll most likely like the GX1. it's a beefed up version. and must have been the GF2 and GF3 in the first place.

8. Zanr Zij

Zanr Zij Mu-43 Regular

Mar 10, 2012
    But the price. GX1 too high. At that price, OM-D is attractive :D with more performance, build quality!

9. jim_khoo

jim_khoo Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 9, 2010
    Kuala Lumpur
    my opinion is slightly different... :smile:

1. $700 for GX1+14-42 vs $1300 for E-M5+12-50 is not too high (b+h pricing)...
    (at $625, the G3+14-42 with a built EVF is also a good contender)

2. the GX1 metal body built quality is actually very good. yet to fondle the E-M5; so, can't give you my opinion.

10. Zanr Zij

Zanr Zij Mu-43 Regular

Mar 10, 2012
    Same feature: GX1 + high quality lens + LVF2 ~ around 1k$.

G3 poorer about build quality and size.

With a little higher price @ OM-D, you will receive more feature and performance ( weather seal, iso performance, shutter speed, 5 axis sensors ... ) and upgradeable like grip, flash and EVF @ same time...

11. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    having used GF1 and G3 at the same time... the G3 is surprisingly close to the size of GF1 except for the extra hump of the built-in viewfinder. and the G3's build quality is good enough for me.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Zanr Zij

Zanr Zij Mu-43 Regular

Mar 10, 2012
    If you got G3 + kit lens @ low price ( less than 650$ ), I will agree that you was right. I'm aslo pickup my E-P3 + kit lens because of less than 450$ special price :D.

Anyway, worth upgrade GF1 to GX1. Last time GX1 is my first choice. I still keep my GF1 now!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Al.

Al. Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2010
    Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
    Alan
    No comparason, here in uk GX1 body £429, omd body £999

14. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I know what you mean about the tank feeling of the GF-1. The GF-2 is also pretty good for that as well. It does feel nice!

If you love the GF-1 then you'll love the GX-1 that much more. It's like the GF-1 with everything made better. You can't go wrong there, and you have a very lovely pair of lenses to go with it.

However... if that "tank feel" of the GF-1 is what you like most about it, then why discount the OM-D E-M5? It has a full metal-alloy frame just like the Olympus E-1, E-3, and E-5, which are probably the most rugged cameras you'll ever hold, with the most tank-like build. And like the E-5, the E-M5 has most of your controls right at your fingertips from shooting position, which also helps with that "solid" feel when you hold it.

• Like Like x 1
  15. chip

chip Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2012
    Connecticut, USA
    Same here. Recently upgraded from the GF1 to the GX1. Great camera. I'm also able to take infinitely more photos NOW, than if I had pre-ordered the EM-5 :smile:

Honestly, I think the GX1 is a great m3/4 camera, and designed to reflect what the m3/4 format is all about. In my opinion, justifiable or not, the hype over the upcoming EM-5 has stolen away a lot of discussion on the GX1. The GX1 is a darn good camera and a worthy consideration for an upgrade - especially if you're a currently a happy GF1 user.

Minor disappointments (which are NOT deal breakers at all):

1) Battery life is not the greatest. You may want to consider getting a backup battery. The GF1 battery lasted forever (quite amazing). The GX1 battery does not. If you're shooting intensively for two-three+ hours, you'll want a backup. (I shoot in RAW format, btw.). If you just shoot "here and there," you should be okay with one battery.

2) The thumb dial on the back is a little harder for me to get used to. But I am. It's smaller, and it seems stiffer to operate. Therefore, I sometimes end up pressing it when I just want to dial it.... Again, I'm adjusting.

3) The little plastic port-cover on the side is a little hokey. But I only use it when I'm using a remote shutter release - which isn't all that often. I like the one on the GF1 better. On the plus side, I don't think the one on the GX1 is going to snap off, whereas that's a possibility with the GF1.

Other: I didn't own a viewfinder with the GF1, but I purchased the viewfinder for the GX1. I LOVE it. I also like the fact that it's optional, and have been in situations where it was in the way and I simply removed it. And, the fact that it conveniently flips up is great, too. It's an expensive add-on, but its versatility and quality make it an indispensable addition, IMHO.

The one thing I can't really address that well is JPG quality versus what Olympus produces. If you save exclusively in JPG format, then you may want to do more research in that department if you're not thrilled with the GF1. Again, I can't speak to this.

Bottom line: if you loved your GF1, I highly suspect you'll LOVE the GX1.

• Like Like x 1
  16. chip

chip Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2012
    Connecticut, USA
    Addressing the "tank" feeling of the GF1:

When I started shooting with the GX1, it almost immediately felt as if I were holding the GF1. It wasn't until a few weeks later when I was using BOTH cameras (with different lenses mounted up), that I switched back to the GF1 and noticed the difference. However, I liked the feel of the GX1 better. But that could have been because I got used to the EVF, and I kept putting the GF1 up to my eye!

17. junk_space

junk_space Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 22, 2010
    Seattle
    just upgraded from the gf1 to the gx1. the mentions above are all true... do love the new grip and faster focus. glad I bit the bullet.

still, there is something wonderful about the gf1 though... hang on to it!! i love keeping the kit lens on it as a backup. it is an absolute classic, and for so many of us (me at least), the camera that got me so excited about m43.

• Like Like x 2
  18. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    IQ is Yet to be seen and 12-50 is huge so I don't care if its weather sealed because it would never be on my camera.

19. Zanr Zij

Zanr Zij Mu-43 Regular

Mar 10, 2012
    Agree! Ordered OM-D with 14-42 II R kit lens + rebate. I will sell the kit lens because I got Pany 14-45, 20 f1.7, 14 f2.5, olym 14-150. All are comfortable to use. I also are finding 45 f1.8 and maybe 25 f1.4.

Never care weather sealed too!

20. Zanr Zij

Zanr Zij Mu-43 Regular

Mar 10, 2012
    LVF1 has low resolution! LVF2, Olym VF-2 and EVF on GH2, OM-D are much higher res, helpfull for your eyes and images!